PDA

View Full Version : John Elway game used

Hog
01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Anyone able to comment on this auction at all? Was this just a very lucky score or is there something fishy about it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160712262696&category=50119&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_500wt_1124

sox83cubs84
01-14-2012, 09:29 PM
I can't comment on the jersey's authenticity without a hands-on examination; however,the auction source (Rick Kohl and Strikezone) have been discussed on this site in the past, and much, if not most of the commentary has not exactly been complimentary.

Dave Miedema

Hog
01-14-2012, 10:52 PM
I can't comment on the jersey's authenticity without a hands-on examination; however,the auction source (Rick Kohl and Strikezone) have been discussed on this site in the past, and much, if not most of the commentary has not exactly been complimentary.

Dave Miedema

The info I can find on this Rick dude seems like he just rips people off and shill bets, not that he sells fake items. Is Gray Flannels reputation not good?

David
01-15-2012, 12:50 AM
RSZ has a rather infamous history, but I'm sure he's sold legitimate and choice items over the years. As noted, his biggest offense has been shilling. I'd say judge the jersey on its own merits.

Hog
01-15-2012, 01:16 AM
RSZ has a rather infamous history, but I'm sure he's sold legitimate and choice items over the years. As noted, his biggest offense has been shilling. I'd say judge the jersey on its own merits.

Basically if I can get a photo match I will know 100%. Anyone on here offer a paid photo matching service? Since the letter is from 1994 it is obviously before then. I am guessing it will be from 92-93.

David
01-15-2012, 02:50 AM
I hadn't heard of him, but evidently the jerseys previous owner has a good reputation in his basketball specialty. That's not bad for the cause.

Hog
01-15-2012, 01:31 PM
I hadn't heard of him, but evidently the jerseys previous owner has a good reputation in his basketball specialty. That's not bad for the cause.

Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking. I didn't know of this Rick dude, but the other guy that was published seemed very reputable.

David
01-15-2012, 03:22 PM
I am familiar with BR and, while he has dome some shady stuff, I'm not familiar that he was in the business of selling forgeries. As I said, he was caught shilling not forging. He has sold some high end items through the years. That he sold this doesn't automatically turn me off on the item as far as authenticity goes. It's not as if he's a known forger like some people mentioned on this board.

And, if the other guy is as legitimate as described, that makes up for it anyway, as far as good provenance goes.

David
01-15-2012, 03:27 PM
I should add that I'm not expert on John Elway jerseys, and am just commenting on the provenance described in the auction.

Hog
01-15-2012, 03:30 PM
I am familiar with BR and, while he has dome some shady stuff, I'm not familiar that he was in the business of selling forgeries. As I said, he was caught shilling not forging. He has sold some high end items through the years. That he sold this doesn't automatically turn me off on the item as far as authenticity goes. It's not as if he's a known forger like some people mentioned on this board.

And, if the other guy is as legitimate as described, that makes up for it anyway, as far as good provenance goes.

Thanks man, you're making me feel pretty good about my purchase!

David
01-15-2012, 03:30 PM
One other note. Im BR's auctions he used to hire JSA to authenticate his autographed items. So it was in his practice to get outside opinions on authenticity. As I said, I'm not aware that forgeries were his issues.

Hog
01-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Now I just need to find a Broncos expert that will be able to photo match it.

sox83cubs84
01-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Basically if I can get a photo match I will know 100%. Anyone on here offer a paid photo matching service? Since the letter is from 1994 it is obviously before then. I am guessing it will be from 92-93.

Is there a lettered flag tag anywhere by the Wilson tag? If the two letters on the tag (if there is one) are knbown, a year can be deciphered. With the NFL neck logo, the earliest the jersey could be from is 1991.

Dave Miedema

Hog
01-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Is there a lettered flag tag anywhere by the Wilson tag? If the two letters on the tag (if there is one) are knbown, a year can be deciphered. With the NFL neck logo, the earliest the jersey could be from is 1991.

Dave Miedema

I will check when I get it. Thanks.

sportscentury
01-16-2012, 05:18 AM

I highly recommend MeiGray. They have photomatched numerous jerseys and shoes for me. They are incredibly thorough and detailed in their photomatch analysis. You can contact Barry at bmeisel@meigray.com or go to:
http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?ctl_nbr=2381&nurl=static/Contact.vm