PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Identifying This Detroit Baseball Jersey

Insomniac186
01-14-2012, 04:23 PM
I found this at a local flea market this morning. The guy had a total of three, but I don't recall the names on the back of the others. I asked him for some information and all he said was that they came from "a sports memorabilia place". I tried looking up the player's last name and found nothing. They jersey looks like it was never worn. I know AIS has made many "Turn Back The Clock" jerseys but I've never seen one that looks like this. I know that the Tigers' Carlos Guillen has worn number 9 for a long time, so I am clueless as to what this is. Any help is appreciated.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/insomniac186/detroitunk1.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/insomniac186/detroitunk2.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/insomniac186/detroitunk3.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/insomniac186/detroitunk4.jpg

both-teams-played-hard
01-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Most likely from a Movie or TV production and some nondescript "DETROIT" team. AIS has made many film jerseys. This is is just a guess, but I bet I am right.

sox83cubs84
01-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Most likely from a Movie or TV production and some nondescript "DETROIT" team. AIS has made many film jerseys. This is is just a guess, but I bet I am right.

The AIS neck logo precludes it from being of MLB origins. While AIS makes quite a number of Negro League Turn Back the Clock jerseys for MLB, they are not a contracted supplier (like Majestic) and, that being the case, they cannot use a company sleeve or neck logo on any MLB game uniforms.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
01-15-2012, 12:57 PM
The AIS neck logo precludes it from being of MLB origins. While AIS makes quite a number of Negro League Turn Back the Clock jerseys for MLB, they are not a contracted supplier (like Majestic) and, that being the case, they cannot use a company sleeve or neck logo on any MLB game uniforms.

Dave Miedema

Dave -

Not trying to be too technical, but they are in fact a 'contracted' supplier since they are in fact 'contracted' to make turn back the clock jerseys.

I believe the word you were looking for is 'licensed' supplier which is why they can neither have their logo visible nor use the mlb logo.

When I worked for Rawlings I learned a whole lot about this.

On baseballs, we could put whatever team, player etc we wanted because we were the OFFICIAL baseball of MLB and licensed to do use the MLB logo, etc.

On bats however, we could use the Rawlings logo (because Rawlings was 'licensed') but because LVS is the OFFICIAL Bat of MLB, we could not put the MLB logo on our bats. Subsequently, we could not put team names on bats unless they were made for players under contract with Rawlings. Otherwise, we could put Texas or Colorado or New York, but not Rangers, Rockies or Yankees/Mets, etc.

I just wanted to make the terminology clear for some of our newer less experienced members.

If possible, maybe Brian Hillerich will chime in and let us know his take from the LVS side of things...

All the best -

Smitty

sox83cubs84
01-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Dave -

Not trying to be too technical, but they are in fact a 'contracted' supplier since they are in fact 'contracted' to make turn back the clock jerseys.

I believe the word you were looking for is 'licensed' supplier which is why they can neither have their logo visible nor use the mlb logo.

When I worked for Rawlings I learned a whole lot about this.

On baseballs, we could put whatever team, player etc we wanted because we were the OFFICIAL baseball of MLB and licensed to do use the MLB logo, etc.

On bats however, we could use the Rawlings logo (because Rawlings was 'licensed') but because LVS is the OFFICIAL Bat of MLB, we could not put the MLB logo on our bats. Subsequently, we could not put team names on bats unless they were made for players under contract with Rawlings. Otherwise, we could put Texas or Colorado or New York, but not Rangers, Rockies or Yankees/Mets, etc.

I just wanted to make the terminology clear for some of our newer less experienced members.

If possible, maybe Brian Hillerich will chime in and let us know his take from the LVS side of things...

All the best -

Smitty

Gotcha. Your explanation is a bit clearer than mine was. Much obliged.

Dave Miedema

Insomniac186
01-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I emailed AIS and heard back today. They did say that it was probably made for a movie or commercial because it did not match anything they ever made for the Tigers. They also said that I should check back in with them in a week and they may have more information on it.