PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy Dean Game Used Glove in American Memorabilia Auctions

buc
01-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Does anyone have the same photo that is pictured in the auction that they can post on here...specifically a close up of the glove? If the seller of the glove is a member here, I'm not questioning the authenticity...I've seen other items that Lieb had and I also know that American Memorabilia will not run a game used glove without Denny Esken's approval, so I have no doubt it is real. My question is if you look at the photo with the autograph, there is what appears to be a cut on the glove and it looks like there is something on the photo as well. I ordered the photo from an ebay and thought it would be here so I could scan and magnify it...the mail just ran...no photo and the auction ends tonight. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

yanks12025
01-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Glove sold at Huggins and Scott not long ago for $1,500. But was advertised as just a signed pro-model, not being game used.

buc
01-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks...just found the link:
http://nov11.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?lotno=496

It appears they did not list it accurately, because they do attribute the glove to Dean in the description. Someone got a great deal. Again, if this is a member's glove here, I'm not arguing the game use. If Denny Esken gives the approval, I'll agree with him. I'd still like to see a close up of that photo if anyone has the pic.

rick
01-20-2012, 08:30 PM
I know the auction is closed and this is too late to provide you help on this item. I haven't spoken to Denny Esken about this glove, but I don't see anything in the description that says it comes with a letter from him or it should say 100% Authentic/ Denny Esken like the Carlton glove that was in the same auction. AMI seem to be basing the authenticity on other info they have. Maybe Denny saw it, maybe not, but I don't think you should ever assume anything about an auction listing.

Rick

buc
01-20-2012, 08:46 PM
I know the auction is closed and this is too late to provide you help on this item. I haven't spoken to Denny Esken about this glove, but I don't see anything in the description that says it comes with a letter from him or it should say 100% Authentic/ Denny Esken like the Carlton glove that was in the same auction. AMI seem to be basing the authenticity on other info they have. Maybe Denny saw it, maybe not, but I don't think you should ever assume anything about an auction listing.

Rick

Hi Rick,
I actually went after the Carlton glove as well. However, I'm not assuming anything...I was told by another member here that American Memorabilia will not run a game used glove without it passing Esken's approval-whether it comes with a letter from him or not. Either way, I'm happy...I've seen Lieb's items before...he had a magnificent collection.

rick
01-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Buc,
I just spoke to Denny to clear this up. He never saw the glove. The reason I suspected this was the case was that those of us who know Denny knows that he doesn't think gloves from the 20's, 30's and 40's can be authenticated by anyone. You are buying provenance and a letter, and that is all you can rely on because the gloves back then were basically just retail model gloves. While it is probably true that AMI won't auction a glove that Denny rejects, that isn't the same as saying he has seen every glove they auction.

I just wanted to clear that up, so people don't assume Denny is authenticating stuff he hasn't even seen.

And on the Carlton glove, Mears had it as a 1984, Denny corrected it to a 1978-82 glove.

Rick

buc
01-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Buc,
I just spoke to Denny to clear this up. He never saw the glove. The reason I suspected this was the case was that those of us who know Denny knows that he doesn't think gloves from the 20's, 30's and 40's can be authenticated by anyone. You are buying provenance and a letter, and that is all you can rely on because the gloves back then were basically just retail model gloves. While it is probably true that AMI won't auction a glove that Denny rejects, that isn't the same as saying he has seen every glove they auction.

I just wanted to clear that up, so people don't assume Denny is authenticating stuff he hasn't even seen.

And on the Carlton glove, Mears had it as a 1984, Denny corrected it to a 1978-82 glove.

Rick

Good information to know. I think a lot of us had received the information that Mr. Esken puts his stamp of approval on all game used gloves they auction...thanks Rick!