X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TNTtoys
    • Aug 2006

Help please with a couple of G/U bats

All,

I have recently bought a lot of game used bats that contained some '86 Mets. I basically couldn't have the bats I wanted without buying all, and therefore have a couple that I am looking to unload for a fair price.

Is anyone out there an expert in this area?

If so, what price should I seek for the following --
    - Billy Williams (HOF/Cubs)
    - Bud Harrelson (Mets)

I wouldn't even know where to begin with these.

Thanks guys
    Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com
  • RobSteinmetz
    • Jan 1970

Re: Help please with a couple of G/U bats

Nick,

After you've received some feedback from our resident bat experts, email me with some photos and a price on the Billy Williams bat. If it's a Cubs era bat, I'm interested.

Best,
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Comment

• TNTtoys
      • Aug 2006

Rob,

Thanks for your note. I will not be home until late tonight, but I will take photos of the bat by tomorrow morning the latest and send them your way.

What I do know about the Williams bat without having it in front of me --

- It is definitely a Cubs era model.
      - It is MEARS authenticated.
      - It's a Louisville Slugger Genuine M110 model.

Regards,
      Nick
      Looking for ...

Comment

• earlywynnfan
        • Oct 2005

a williams bat just closed through AMI, i believe; they show their past results, so i'd check there. ballpark, i'd estimate a well-used one would be 7-900. no idea on the harrelson.

ken

Comment

• TNTtoys
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by earlywynnfan
          a williams bat just closed through AMI, i believe; they show their past results, so i'd check there. ballpark, i'd estimate a well-used one would be 7-900. no idea on the harrelson.

ken
          Hi Ken,

I just checked AMI -- The Billy Williams bat that sold there recently was an Oakland era late 70s bat with minimal use. I would imagine that it would be worth much less than mine.
          Looking for ...

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
            Paid Users
            • Jan 1970

Originally posted by TNTtoys
            Hi Ken,

I just checked AMI -- The Billy Williams bat that sold there recently was an Oakland era late 70s bat with minimal use. I would imagine that it would be worth much less than mine.
            Hello Nick,

I think you are correct in that the label period and use characteristics can be factors in the bat's potential value. Out of curiosity, would you be able to post the label period of the bat as well as the length and weight?

Thanks,
            Chris
            Christopher Cavalier
            Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• bat_master
              • Sep 2005

Hi Everyone,

I would assume by looking at the records that the bat is either from 1962 (quite valuable) or 1975 (less valuable). It appears that Billy Williams only ordered M110 bats twice in two different lengths - 34" and 34.5". The 34" length was ordered in 1962 and should weigh 32 oz. The 34.5" length was ordered in 1975 in 33 oz with a flat knob.

I'm interested in this bat as well so I'm curious to know the specs as well. Sounds like a great bat!

Thanks

Tim Byington
              sigpic
              Tim Byington
              Hall of Fame Bats
              tim@hofbats.com

Comment

• TNTtoys
                • Aug 2006

When I got home this evening, I inspected the Billy Williams bat.

Based on Tim's records, I can conclude that it's the 1962 model. The bat barely measures 34" -- there is no way that it could be the 34 1/2" from 1975. My bat also has a rounded knob -- if the 1975 came with a flat knob, then this should clinch it.

I will email the photos to all who responded to my email.

Thank you for all of the help in identifying what I have.
                Looking for ...

Comment

• bat_master
                  • Sep 2005

Nick,

From the photos the bat is a 1977-79 era as in 1977 the model number was moved from the knob to the barrell. However, his career ended in 1976 so this is a post career bat with his uniform number on the knob. I'll have to defer this to another forum member with more knowledge than myself. Anyone?

Thanks Nick!

Tim
                  sigpic
                  Tim Byington
                  Hall of Fame Bats
                  tim@hofbats.com

Comment

• TNTtoys
                    • Aug 2006

That is really strange -- there must be some logical explanation. I am in the process of contacting MEARS, as they were the authenticators for this bat. I will let you know what I find out. In the meanwhile, if anyone out there could shine some light on this, please send me information as soon as possible...
                    Looking for ...

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                      • Oct 2005

any chance i can see scans of the bat? what does the MEARS letter say?

Ken
                      earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Comment

• TNTtoys
                        • Aug 2006

Ken,

Here are a few of the scans of the bat. Maybe you and/or some of the others here could shine some light on the situation in the meanwhile. It makes no sense that the bat would be from 1977 if Williams played until 1976. It also doesn't make much sense that Williams would switch to a smaller, lighter bat so late in his career if he graduated up.

The bat was authenticated by MEARS as per the lot description, however, their letter was missing from the package... probably an oversight of the Auction house. I have since contacted them to forward me the letter. I have also mentioned this in my request to MEARS in the event they have a copy and could produce it quicker.

Nick
                        Attached Files
                        Looking for ...

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                          • Oct 2005

I think I remember this lot. was it Geppi's? the bat definitely dates to 77-79. perhaps the write-up would help? could you send a link? if this is from one big group, you may get a LOA that states it's a coach's/post career bat. I know Dave Bushing isn't infallible, but I don't really see him blowing one this bad.

Too bad, looks like a nice bat, great use and patina and all.

Ken
                          earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Comment

• TNTtoys
                            • Aug 2006

Ken,

Yes, this was a Geppi's lot from the Rusty Staub and Phil Rizzuto collection. My intention, as I stated earlier was to keep the 1986 Mets bats & sell the remainder. The fact that there was a game used authenticated bat from a hall of famer made this extra attractive. To be honest, I would have been happy to get my money back for the lot and not make anything on the deal if it meant I would get mine for nothing.

Back to your info -- Is there a specific site you can recommend that I would be able to go & do my own evaluations so I don't have a 'mystery' situation like this one in future (I mean something told you it's possible it's a 1977-1979 bat)?

If in the event this is in fact a 1977-1979 bat, what would it be worth? I couldn't imagine it would be worth the same as the gamer.

I have emailed Dave Bushing earlier this morning regarding the bat... I hope to hear from him soon. I have also left an email and a voice mail at Geppi's.

Nick
                            Looking for ...

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                              • Oct 2005

Well, the good news is i imagine you can still sell the bats you want and break even. The Harrelson bat looks very nice, you can ebay it or maybe consign it if you have time (for a bat of that caliber, I'd suggest Hunt Auctions??). The post-career Williams is probably worth $100-200, I'd figure. Again, Hunt might be a place to go.

The bad news is, I'm hoping you weren't buying the lot for the Hernandez gamer, because it's not one. It's a commemorative bat.

Crash course: if you are looking for gamers, run away from "flame tempered" bats and ones with the underlined "125" in the middle (see jeter bat on ebay currently.) There is a possibility that a player could have used one, but I'd give you better odds on playing the lotto. (Do you see Jeter walking into the team shop, buying a bat, and using it?)

You really want to go to ebay, look up seller "zanebats", and buy the MastroNet bat guide. Even if he doesn't have any posted, I'm sure he has a pile of them. An even better book is Vince Malta's book "Bats", but when one pops up it goes for big bucks. (someone on the forum here offered a few at $125, i think, and they were immediately snapped up.) www.boombats.com has nice photos to reference, or you can always come here!

Regards, Ken

Comment

Working...