PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma: Go to the Super Bowl, or sell tickets n buy Game Used

dplettn
01-24-2012, 03:33 PM
I've had a pretty lucky January. I came across two of my "grail" game used items (1 of which I already bought) and then got selected in a small local season ticket holder lottery (non-participant team) for the right to buy Super Bowl tickets. I picked up the tickets today and they are near the 50 yard line!

It was a dilemma, but given my lack of an affinity for either of the Super Bowl participants this year, its going to be an easy dilemma for me.

I'm curious for other collectors, how would you prioritize the expenditure on Game Used merchandise as compared to going to a Super Bowl caliber event?

Preston
01-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Have you ever been to a Super Bowl? If not, I think you should go honestly. Maybe even partake in some of the autograph signings around town/at the NFL Experience, if that's your thing.

Or, figure out (approximately) how much you could get for your tickets, and how much x item(s) are that you'd be interested in (if possible), and weigh your options.

geoff
01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Go to the game.Thats what I would do.

legaleagle92481
01-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Well I would go to the game personally, not many chances to go to it. There's game used stuff available daily. The only thing is if your traveling it will be pricey, the airlines and rooms are sky high.

dplettn
01-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I've been to few, yes. I'll never forget the trip with my dad to see Elway's last game. I can't wait to have similar adventures originating from my house. If either of the teams or QBs were closer to my heart, I'd be tempted to initiate my eldest's 1st Super Bowl experience at age 3!

I'm lucky to be in the situation that makes my choice easy to make. The Patriots and Giants are surely the biggest draw that could have happened. But neither team or QB is one that I have any affinity for. I'm still bitter at Manning for being drafted ahead of Roethlisberger from my alma matter...

If anybody has experience selling Super Bowl tickets on Stubhub or TicketExchange please shoot me an email at plettner@fuse.net. They handle it very differently than ordinary games and I'm curious whether its worked out well for others.

Have you ever been to a Super Bowl? If not, I think you should go honestly. Maybe even partake in some of the autograph signings around town/at the NFL Experience, if that's your thing.

Or, figure out (approximately) how much you could get for your tickets, and how much x item(s) are that you'd be interested in (if possible), and weigh your options.

sox83cubs84
01-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Unless the Bears were involved, I wouldn't go...and especially not for this East Coast Bias production.

Dave Miedema

legaleagle92481
01-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Unless the Bears were involved, I wouldn't go...and especially not for this East Coast Bias production.

Dave Miedema

Love him or hate him Brady is one of the very best QBs ever chance to see him in Super Bowl is worth it even for non-fans. I would have loved to have seen Montana in any of his Super Bowls. As for East Coast bias, its not the fault of us East Coasters that Kyle Williams gift-wrapped the NFC Championship for the Giants. They should have had three scores: Giants 10, 49ers 17 and Kyle Williams 10.

woody1351
01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
will you email me woody1351@hotmail.com

woody1351
01-24-2012, 04:35 PM
dplettn email me i didnt clarify who.

Skizzick
01-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Giants and Patriots? I couldn't sell those tickets faster. I know I would just be sitting there hoping as many players tear their ACL's as possible. Hey, I'm an Eagles fan, what can I do?

I say sell the tickets, a cool 2-3k a piece easily! Pick up your grail items that you will hold onto forever. I'd take the items over the game any day. Memories are nice, but who knows? You may forget them one day.

otismalibu
01-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Flip. Easy money.

Been to one SB, to watch my favorite team. Got tickets for face, but had to agree not to sell them. Cool experience, but I'd even consider flipping them (in your situation) if my team was in it again.

solarlottry
01-24-2012, 08:58 PM
You may be able to get 5-7500$ per ticket if these are good seats. I just heard on the radio that the cheapest tickets were 2200$ with all of the fees added in. That figure seems high but if your tickets are yard line seats, i would think that they are worth quite a bit.

If you have no interest in the teams, then sell em and buy your other grail item. Obviously it is a great opportunity to see a Super Bowl but if I had the tickets and my 49ers had just lost the NFC championship in the fashion that they just did, I would sell them for as much as possible.

Always buying 49ers gamers
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

cliffjmp33
01-25-2012, 12:32 AM
As much as I love live sporting events, the way I look at it is this: After the game, you'll have some memories and a ticket stub from the game if you go. If you sell them and buy a grail, after the game you'll have that grail item for as long as you like and you can always have memories from throwing a pretty sweet super bowl party.

dplettn
01-25-2012, 12:49 AM
You may be able to get 5-7500$ per ticket if these are good seats. I just heard on the radio that the cheapest tickets were 2200$ with all of the fees added in. That figure seems high but if your tickets are yard line seats, i would think that they are worth quite a bit.

If you have no interest in the teams, then sell em and buy your other grail item. Obviously it is a great opportunity to see a Super Bowl but if I had the tickets and my 49ers had just lost the NFC championship in the fashion that they just did, I would sell them for as much as possible.

Always buying 49ers gamers
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Even at midfield, tickets are going well below that. Earlier tonight, I put an ad on Craigslist at 3.5 ea which was below the going rate on the main ticket venues and I was surprised how few people contacted me. Perhaps its all the clutter of listings... Anyway, I now think clearing 3 ea after fees would be favorable. Heck, face was only 800 each.

I'm going to go through the hoops at Stubhub, list about 100 bucks less than whatever the other tickets in the same section are going for, and just be happy with whatever I get. Because what I get is more than money... its a GU item that I really love!

You guys would be surprised how hard it is to to list with Stubhub and TicketExchange. I get that they are needing to prevent forgeries, fraud, and all. But, its totally inconvenient to sell through them. There should be a better way.

otismalibu
01-25-2012, 09:54 AM
FWIW...

A couple years back in Tampa, we had $800 face tix. I think the vast majority of the seats were $800 with some higher priced tix in 'better' areas. Ours were about 20 rows up in the EZ. My buddy paid $1700 on StubHub for his ticket, which was about another 20 rows behind us.

DeacDoug
01-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Sell the tickets and buy the gamer. Your tickets must be fairly high up because, two years ago, I paid $910 each (face plus shipping) for two tickets in about the 7th row of the end zone. Great game won by Saints, but wouldn't pay that much again to see a football game. The Saints fans on the bus I rode, who undoubtably paid more to see the game, didn't seem that thrilled by the experience or perhaps they were just tired after a long day.

10thMan
01-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Sell Them! I`ve been to one SB, it was cool, but enough for me.

Go do something cool, or buy a Grail Item?

Sean

benjoe55
01-25-2012, 11:22 AM
I'd sell the tickets. I have used Stubhub, and it is very easy to sell tickets through them. It takes 3-5 minutes; maybe a few minutes more, if you have never done it before.. Airfare to Indy will be high, and hotel rooms are impossible to get--gouging is rampant even in the bad hotels.

flota89
01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Similar situation happened with me...

About 5 hours before game 6 of the 2011 World Series, I got a call from my dad saying he got tickets for the game that night. The rest of my family was already over in St. Louis. I had stayed home for classes and work the day before. He told me I could have the extra ticket or he would just sell it and make a little profit. I let him sell it. The extra money represented a nice game used item, but looking back on it, I passed up seeing one of the greatest games ever in person. And while I had a nice time sweating out the win at Buffalo Wild Wings, I'll always sort of wish I saw it all happen in person.

But that's coming from a big Cardinals fan who had the chance to watch his team in the WS. If you don't have much of an attachment to either team, sell them. The profit would be much larger on Super Bowl tickets than WS tickets.

frikativ54
01-25-2012, 01:13 PM
I'd sell. Unless you are going to have a memory of your favorite team or player, it's not worth the money. Plus, you will have your gamer forever, and it will trump any recollection of a Super Bowl without your team or guy in it.