Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • delhommejake17
    • Oct 2011

Flea Market Find

Was at a local flea market this past saturday here in NC in the pouring rain...and I saw this old jersey hanging with a bunch of other clothes...Upon closer examination...I saw the Wilson tagging and was shocked to find a game worn jersey, wondering how it got to a flea market. Was totally excited and glad to hand the hispanic lady the 8.00 asking price...Upon further investigation...It was Jerry Reed jersey , who was from here in North Carolina...Thought it was amazing find for dirt cheap....not sure of value....but shows good game use and repair on back.....Looks 100% authentic...just wondering value...
    Attached Files
  • TNTtoys
    • Aug 2006

Re: Flea Market Find

For $8.00, this is a very nice find! I'm thinking it's a Minor League jersey, but that's well worth the money spent.

For it to be a Major League jersey, I would expect to see the name sewn into the collar and a name/nameplate on the back of the jersey. Does this jersey show evidence that both were once there but have been stripped?
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• delhommejake17
      • Oct 2011

No evidence of name plate ever being on there...just a repair on left side on back....Jerry Reed was #35 for the Philadelphia Philles in last part of 1982....somehow his jersey made it to flea market..I think he was from Bryson City NC...

Comment

• TNTtoys
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by delhommejake17
        No evidence of name plate ever being on there...somehow his jersey made it to flea market
        I don't think this is what you think it is.

No major league jerseys would have been worn on field without a name on back sewn onto a nameplate. If there is no evidence that any were ever there, I would have to say there is no evidence it is game used MLB jersey worn by Jerry Reed.
        Looking for ...

Comment

• ironmanfan
          • Sep 2005

The (AA) Reading Phillies wore this same style jersey during this time period. While Reed didn't pitch in Reading in 1982, this could be from a Minor League ST game the next year or so.....As TNT stated, still a steal at the price paid......

Comment

• TNTtoys
            • Aug 2006

Here is a sample front and back of a MLB Phillies jersey of this period.
            Attached Files
            Looking for ...

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
              • Nov 2005

Nice jersey. Did you find it at the State Fairgrounds in Raleighwood? That's my old stomping grounds.

I found a gamer at a flea market, once. It's a great feeling.

Comment

• delhommejake17
                • Oct 2011

Took some close up pictures of repair on back...its on the left side ..and now that i look closer the right side above the 5 has some damage..not sure...but looks like name plate has been removed...thanks for the help and photos...
                Attached Files

Comment

• delhommejake17
                  • Oct 2011

Found it around Charlotte.....Just figured it had to be Jerry Reed since he was #35 in Phillies in 1982 and he is also from here in NC...Not a real valuable piece , but exciting for us collectors to know stuff is still out there

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                    • Nov 2005

That hole on the back looks like a nameplate was removed. There is obviously enough room for a NOB. It's sometimes

Comment

• packerfan
                      • Feb 2008

Hold the jersey up to a light and see if you can spot any stitch holes across the back where a nameplate would have been.

Comment

• delhommejake17
                        • Oct 2011

It definitely shows stitching damage where name plate...why would it have been removed.....thanks for any input

Comment

• 2000mvpfan
                          • Nov 2005

Would have been removed for recycling down to the minor leagues...
                          sigpic
                          ...always looking for game-used JASON GIAMBI equipment!

Comment

Working...