PDA

View Full Version : Do any MLB teams sell game used and UNCRACKED bats?

Gyro123
01-27-2012, 11:14 AM
If so which ones?

Birdbats
01-27-2012, 11:52 AM
I think the question should be, why would any team sell uncracked bats? Bats are not cheap. I'd guess teams probably pay $50 (ash) to around $100 for some maple bats. So, even if a player decides he no longer wants to use an uncracked bat... or a player is cut or traded and bats are left behind... those good bats could be used by other players for BP, during spring training, in the minors, by coaches for fungoes, etc. In spite of the salaries paid to players (or likely because of them), baseball teams can be pretty frugal in other areas of the business. Sure, they could sell a $50 for $150 after it's been used... but why not wait until it's cracked first?

MLB~NUT
01-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Yes, you see them from time to time eith at the teams authentics store or on mlb auctions webpage, theyre rare but usually all the game used Mothers Day bats are uncracked

sox83cubs84
01-27-2012, 11:10 PM
The White Sox have a bunch at SoxFest this weekend.

Dave Miedema

OaklandAsFan
01-28-2012, 01:15 AM
dbacks had a bunch of Conor Jackson unused untracked bats last year at their fanfest garage sale.

coxfan
01-28-2012, 10:30 AM
I've seen the Braves sell uncracked bats, but I agree that I don't understand why they aren't sent to the Minors for BP. (As are balls.) Older uncracked bats do show wear, but they should still be usable.

The one I bought from the Braves was from a player who was sent to the Minors due to poor hitting, but later returned using a different style bat. I can understand his leaving his bat behind, but a minor-league club could still have used it.

Buster23!
01-28-2012, 10:35 AM
I know for a fact the Astros sell game used stuff at the ballpark. But, I dont know about through the mail.

Skizzick
01-28-2012, 11:51 AM
The Phillies sell uncracked ones, but they are exuberantly priced.

Buster23!
01-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Do the Red Sox sell G/U stuff in their team store?

419redsoxfan32
01-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Hello Buster23!:

As I have found with the Red Sox, most of the items are purchased by Steiner Sports (i.e. bats, jerseys, bases, line-up cards, etc). The Souvenier Store often carries items that Steiner Sports does not want (i.e. Ellsbury LS model bat used by JD Drew; bats cracked in two pieces, etc.). Occasionally, I have found decent items at the store, such as a home plate used in the 2009 season. My advice would be to network with the store manager to see if he will contact you if he gets in anything interesting. I have done this and had some good luck. I caution you, though, that if he contacts you and you don't buy, they will cease to contact you in the future. As with most other transactions, "Money Talks".

JP