Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buster23!
    • Apr 2011

Where is all the classifieds go???

I don't know if it is just me, but it seems like people dont post as much in the game used classifieds as say 8-12 months ago. I go on here every day to check it out and only see 1-3 new items and sometimes not even that. Is it just me?
    -Looking for G/U SF Giants 2008-Current
    www.sfgiantscollectibles.com

garrett.unruh@yahoo.com
  • Mulligans
    • Dec 2009

Re: Where is all the classifieds go???

I don't post items for sale in the classifieds because in my opinion it is no longer a viable option to sell. The $500 limit has become too restrictive to sell football Jerseys.

Not to be a pessimist, but when I did go to sell something, more often than not I got the run around from a select few of our Forum members.

I don't think this is new information....I have heard these sentiments echoed on more than one occassion.

Comment

• 34swtns
      • Apr 2006

+1

Agreed, $500 won't buy much in the way of NFL stuff so we have to sell elsewhere, unfortunately. It sucks because the "target audience" is right here.

Comment

• kellsox
        • Jan 2006

I don't think it's just the classifieds receiving less posts. It seems like the overall number of posts on site in general has decreased in the last year or so. Might be more people "viewing " the site, but the lack of posting( particularly quality) is lacking in my opinion.

Comment

• G1X
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Mulligans
          I don't post items for sale in the classifieds because in my opinion it is no longer a viable option to sell. The $500 limit has become too restrictive to sell football Jerseys.

Not to be a pessimist, but when I did go to sell something, more often than not I got the run around from a select few of our Forum members.

I don't think this is new information....I have heard these sentiments echoed on more than one occassion.
          I also hate to be a pessimist and negative on this subject, but I agree with Mulligans, especially regarding getting the run-around (but from more than just a few select Forum members). I often answer Forum Members' "Wanted to Buy" posts whenever I have the items they are looking for. The posters either do not have the common courtesy to reply, or else they string me out and never buy, even after spending several email exchanges negotiating an agreeable price. I have rarely made a sale responding to a "Wanted to Buy" post despite often having the EXACT items they wanted.

I occasionally post in the "Wanted to Buy" section and I hardly ever get replies. I understand that finding collectors with World Football League and NFL/AFL durene jerseys available to sell will be few and far between, but surely there are at least a few collectors in this Forum who have Atlanta Falcons jerseys for sale!

I still look in the classifieds, but I find it mostly a waste of time, especially once I respond and begin the "dance to nowhere".

Mark Hayne
          Gridiron Exchange
          gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, NFL/AFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Darren Lewis and Willie McGee game-used items.

Comment

• ironmanfan
            • Sep 2005

I may be wrong but I don't think that the classifieds were why this forum was created in the first place...I enjoy the information and pictures that are posted and the camaraderie with like minded people.....

Comment

• xpress34
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ironmanfan
              I may be wrong but I don't think that the classifieds were why this forum was created in the first place...I enjoy the information and pictures that are posted and the camaraderie with like minded people.....
              Iron -

I agree with you, but like many of these guys have pointed out, here is a current example / situation I'm having:

Tigers AU/GU Home Plate - July 4th, 2004

- Smitty

Comment

• godwulf
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ironmanfan
                Very true. I've utilized the 'C to C' and 'Items Wanted' forums, myself, both to buy and sell, but checking them is usually an afterthought - not my reason for being here.

Hey, is is just me, or do Football collectors seem to complain a lot more than Baseball collectors do? Do you suppose it might have something to do with the physically aggressive nature of the game, itself? Would that be an interesting thread topic, d'ya think? (Only half kidding.)
                Jeff
                godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by godwulf
                  Hey, is is just me, or do Football collectors seem to complain a lot more than Baseball collectors do? Do you suppose it might have something to do with the physically aggressive nature of the game, itself? Would that be an interesting thread topic, d'ya think? (Only half kidding.)
                  On-topic:

Comment

• woody1351
                    • Dec 2008

I listed a few jerseys in it a few months ago after a week of going back and forth we can to a price and once I tyold him I would do it I never heard back. That's happened a few times. I bought a bat off it a few days ago so there is some stuff on there that does get sold.

Comment

• G1X
                      • Nov 2005

Hey, I agree that the classifieds are not the purpose of this Forum and certainly not the reason I visit the site, BUT if you are going to post in the classifieds, (1) have the common courtesy to respond to emails/inquiries/etc., and follow-up on all communcations until the discussion is concluded (regardless if a deal is made); (2) communicate clearly your intentions from the outset; and (3) don't post in the "Items Wanted" section unless you have funds available. On the latter point, if your reason for posting is that you are "looking to see what is out there", there are better methods and places in the Forum to find out that type of information. (Refer to #2 if you still do not understand.) I cannot tell you how many times I have negotiated a deal and agreed to a price and THEN being told that they do not have the funds in hand to make the purchase. Of course, I almost never hear from them again down the road.

I don't know very many folks who like to have their time wasted, especially when they are being given the "run-around". Most of us have other responsibilities and obligations such as jobs, family, etc., so time is a precious commodity.

Mark Hayne
                      Gridiron Exchange
                      gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, NFL/AFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Darren Lewis and Willie McGee game-used items.

Comment

• ironmanfan
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by xpress34
                        Iron -

I agree with you, but like many of these guys have pointed out, here is a current example / situation I'm having:

Tigers AU/GU Home Plate - July 4th, 2004

- Smitty
                        Smiity & Mark:

My point was more addressing the OP topic that the # of classified ads were smaller than in the past (how he came to that conclusion I don't know), but I'm certainly with you that once you have an item in the "C to C" or "Items Wanted" listings, there is an etiquette/decency that certianly should be followed.

Let's face it, look how you get jerked around by the tire kickers for relatively small $ items, just think what the forum would be like for higher dollar items listed??

Comment

• 34swtns
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by godwulf
                          Aggressiveness and the nature of the sport has nothing to do with it. Overall, we're dealing with pricier and harder to find items than most baseball stuff.

It stands to reason. A single baseball season lasts somewhere between 100-200 games and a football season is a mere 16 games.

This equates to far fewer items and infinitely higher prices.
                          Hence the need for selling platforms without a mid 3-figure limit.

Those platforms are out there and we use them but it would be nice to be able to use this one as well.
                          The rules being what they are eliminate that possibility for most items we would be selling.

Comment

• jsage
                            • Oct 2011

In my experience most of the time - it is a waist of time.
                            Too many "Buyers" say the will pay TOP DOLLAR etc and when they are contacted - many emails and photos are exchanged and then it comes down to it they either say they are not interested or they offer very low buy prices.

It is definately FALSE ADVERTISING on the buyers part.
                            Jerry Sage

Comment

• frikativ54
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by jsage
                              In my experience most of the time - it is a waist of time.
                              Too many "Buyers" say the will pay TOP DOLLAR etc and when they are contacted - many emails and photos are exchanged and then it comes down to it they either say they are not interested or they offer very low buy prices.

It is definately FALSE ADVERTISING on the buyers part.
                              Jerry Sage
                              While I appreciate that the forum owners allow for a Collector to Collector Classifieds section, I've been very disappointed by some of my interactions on there. I sold several items, yet only one person has thanked me for what he bought or even confirmed receipt of a package. And yes, in all but one instance, the packages arrived at their destination. Many of the items I've sold meant a lot to me and spent a good deal of time in my personal collection, yet I wonder how much they are truly appreciated in their new homes.
                              Les Zukor
                              bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                              Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                              (617) 682-0408

Comment

Working...