PDA

View Full Version : Where is all the classifieds go???

Buster23!
01-28-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't know if it is just me, but it seems like people dont post as much in the game used classifieds as say 8-12 months ago. I go on here every day to check it out and only see 1-3 new items and sometimes not even that. Is it just me?

Mulligans
01-28-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't post items for sale in the classifieds because in my opinion it is no longer a viable option to sell. The $500 limit has become too restrictive to sell football Jerseys.

Not to be a pessimist, but when I did go to sell something, more often than not I got the run around from a select few of our Forum members.:mad:

I don't think this is new information....I have heard these sentiments echoed on more than one occassion.

34swtns
01-29-2012, 10:32 AM
+1

Agreed, $500 won't buy much in the way of NFL stuff so we have to sell elsewhere, unfortunately. It sucks because the "target audience" is right here.

kellsox
01-29-2012, 11:04 AM
I don't think it's just the classifieds receiving less posts. It seems like the overall number of posts on site in general has decreased in the last year or so. Might be more people "viewing " the site, but the lack of posting( particularly quality) is lacking in my opinion.

G1X
01-29-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't post items for sale in the classifieds because in my opinion it is no longer a viable option to sell. The $500 limit has become too restrictive to sell football Jerseys.

Not to be a pessimist, but when I did go to sell something, more often than not I got the run around from a select few of our Forum members.:mad:

I don't think this is new information....I have heard these sentiments echoed on more than one occassion.

I also hate to be a pessimist and negative on this subject, but I agree with Mulligans, especially regarding getting the run-around (but from more than just a few select Forum members). I often answer Forum Members' "Wanted to Buy" posts whenever I have the items they are looking for. The posters either do not have the common courtesy to reply, or else they string me out and never buy, even after spending several email exchanges negotiating an agreeable price. I have rarely made a sale responding to a "Wanted to Buy" post despite often having the EXACT items they wanted.

I occasionally post in the "Wanted to Buy" section and I hardly ever get replies. I understand that finding collectors with World Football League and NFL/AFL durene jerseys available to sell will be few and far between, but surely there are at least a few collectors in this Forum who have Atlanta Falcons jerseys for sale!

I still look in the classifieds, but I find it mostly a waste of time, especially once I respond and begin the "dance to nowhere".

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, NFL/AFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Darren Lewis and Willie McGee game-used items.

ironmanfan
01-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I may be wrong but I don't think that the classifieds were why this forum was created in the first place...I enjoy the information and pictures that are posted and the camaraderie with like minded people.....

xpress34
01-29-2012, 01:22 PM
I may be wrong but I don't think that the classifieds were why this forum was created in the first place...I enjoy the information and pictures that are posted and the camaraderie with like minded people.....

Iron -

I agree with you, but like many of these guys have pointed out, here is a current example / situation I'm having:

Tigers AU/GU Home Plate - July 4th, 2004 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=282928#post282928)

- Smitty

godwulf
01-29-2012, 01:34 PM

Very true. I've utilized the 'C to C' and 'Items Wanted' forums, myself, both to buy and sell, but checking them is usually an afterthought - not my reason for being here.

Hey, is is just me, or do Football collectors seem to complain a lot more than Baseball collectors do? Do you suppose it might have something to do with the physically aggressive nature of the game, itself? Would that be an interesting thread topic, d'ya think? (Only half kidding.) :rolleyes:

both-teams-played-hard
01-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Hey, is is just me, or do Football collectors seem to complain a lot more than Baseball collectors do? Do you suppose it might have something to do with the physically aggressive nature of the game, itself? Would that be an interesting thread topic, d'ya think? (Only half kidding.) :rolleyes:

On-topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXacL0Uny0

woody1351
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
I listed a few jerseys in it a few months ago after a week of going back and forth we can to a price and once I tyold him I would do it I never heard back. That's happened a few times. I bought a bat off it a few days ago so there is some stuff on there that does get sold.

G1X
01-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey, I agree that the classifieds are not the purpose of this Forum and certainly not the reason I visit the site, BUT if you are going to post in the classifieds, (1) have the common courtesy to respond to emails/inquiries/etc., and follow-up on all communcations until the discussion is concluded (regardless if a deal is made); (2) communicate clearly your intentions from the outset; and (3) don't post in the "Items Wanted" section unless you have funds available. On the latter point, if your reason for posting is that you are "looking to see what is out there", there are better methods and places in the Forum to find out that type of information. (Refer to #2 if you still do not understand.) I cannot tell you how many times I have negotiated a deal and agreed to a price and THEN being told that they do not have the funds in hand to make the purchase. Of course, I almost never hear from them again down the road.

I don't know very many folks who like to have their time wasted, especially when they are being given the "run-around". Most of us have other responsibilities and obligations such as jobs, family, etc., so time is a precious commodity.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, NFL/AFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Darren Lewis and Willie McGee game-used items.

ironmanfan
01-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Iron -

I agree with you, but like many of these guys have pointed out, here is a current example / situation I'm having:

Tigers AU/GU Home Plate - July 4th, 2004 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=282928#post282928)

- Smitty

Smiity & Mark:

My point was more addressing the OP topic that the # of classified ads were smaller than in the past (how he came to that conclusion I don't know), but I'm certainly with you that once you have an item in the "C to C" or "Items Wanted" listings, there is an etiquette/decency that certianly should be followed.

Let's face it, look how you get jerked around by the tire kickers for relatively small $ items, just think what the forum would be like for higher dollar items listed??

34swtns
01-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Aggressiveness and the nature of the sport has nothing to do with it. Overall, we're dealing with pricier and harder to find items than most baseball stuff.

It stands to reason. A single baseball season lasts somewhere between 100-200 games and a football season is a mere 16 games.

This equates to far fewer items and infinitely higher prices.
Hence the need for selling platforms without a mid 3-figure limit.

Those platforms are out there and we use them but it would be nice to be able to use this one as well.
The rules being what they are eliminate that possibility for most items we would be selling.

jsage
01-29-2012, 07:00 PM
In my experience most of the time - it is a waist of time.
Too many "Buyers" say the will pay TOP DOLLAR etc and when they are contacted - many emails and photos are exchanged and then it comes down to it they either say they are not interested or they offer very low buy prices.

It is definately FALSE ADVERTISING on the buyers part.
Jerry Sage

frikativ54
01-29-2012, 10:30 PM
In my experience most of the time - it is a waist of time.
Too many "Buyers" say the will pay TOP DOLLAR etc and when they are contacted - many emails and photos are exchanged and then it comes down to it they either say they are not interested or they offer very low buy prices.

It is definately FALSE ADVERTISING on the buyers part.
Jerry Sage

While I appreciate that the forum owners allow for a Collector to Collector Classifieds section, I've been very disappointed by some of my interactions on there. I sold several items, yet only one person has thanked me for what he bought or even confirmed receipt of a package. And yes, in all but one instance, the packages arrived at their destination. Many of the items I've sold meant a lot to me and spent a good deal of time in my personal collection, yet I wonder how much they are truly appreciated in their new homes. :(

godwulf
01-29-2012, 11:36 PM
(3) don't post in the "Items Wanted" section unless you have funds available. On the latter point, if your reason for posting is that you are "looking to see what is out there", there are better methods and places in the Forum to find out that type of information. (Refer to #2 if you still do not understand.) I cannot tell you how many times I have negotiated a deal and agreed to a price and THEN being told that they do not have the funds in hand to make the purchase.

If you negotiate a deal, and then get stiffed, obviously you have a valid complaint. The Sellers who don't have any kind of valid complaint, in my opinion, are the ones who respond to a potential buyer's "Items Wanted" ad, and then get pissy because the Buyer didn't like their price, didn't need or want the item - whatever the reason. I've heard Sellers complain on this forum because they responded to an "Items Wanted" ad and ended up not selling anything. If I post that I'm looking for items for Player A or Team B, that doesn't mean I'm necessarily willing to pay your price for any item you happen to be trying to unload.

And for the record, the only kind of Seller whom I must admit I may not always respond to is the one who doesn't say how much they want for an item, but responds to an inquiry with, "Make me an offer", or "What's it worth to you?" I'll inquire about your asking price once, but if you want to continue to play silly games, you can do it without my participation. Chances are, my offer isn't going to come anywhere near what you really want for the item, and then you're going to accuse me of "lowballing" you, so I generally prefer to just skip that whole scene.

xpress34
01-29-2012, 11:40 PM
If you negotiate a deal, and then get stiffed, obviously you have a valid complaint. The Sellers who don't have any kind of valid complaint, in my opinion, are the ones who respond to a potential buyer's "Items Wanted" ad, and then get pissy because the Buyer didn't like their price, didn't need or want the item - whatever the reason. I've heard Sellers complain on this forum because they responded to an "Items Wanted" ad and ended up not selling anything. If I post that I'm looking for items for Player A or Team B, that doesn't mean I'm necessarily willing to pay your price for any item you happen to be trying to unload.

And for the record, the only kind of Seller whom I must admit I may not always respond to is the one who doesn't say how much they want for an item, but responds to an inquiry with, "Make me an offer", or "What's it worth to you?" I'll inquire about your asking price once, but if you want to continue to play silly games, you can do it without my participation. Chances are, my offer isn't going to come anywhere near what you really want for the item, and then you're going to accuse me of "lowballing" you, so I generally prefer to just skip that whole scene.

GW -

Valid points across the board. My issue with contacting 'Items Wanted' ads is the ones who literally put - "Looking for ANY and ALL items of Player X".

When you respond with what items you have (regardless of price), you get the 'I'm not looking for THAT item' response.

What don't they get about the meaning of the words ANY and ALL???

- Smitty

G1X
01-30-2012, 01:33 AM
If you negotiate a deal, and then get stiffed, obviously you have a valid complaint. .

That is precisely my complaint. I've been in this hobby much too long not to understand that sometimes two parties will not come to an agreement on the price. No hard feelings from me when that happens, regardless if I am on the buying end or the selling end. But once we come to an agreement on the price and the offer is accepted, I becomes very irritated and frustrated when the other party "disappears" and ceases to communicate, or else turns around and tells me that they don't have the cash. It amazes me how many times this has happened to me in dealing with folks in this Forum, especially over the past 12 months.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

short84
01-30-2012, 08:44 AM
The classifieds no longer leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling as a buyer. Last month, I negotiated a deal with a seller in writing (emails are a written contract). I stated I wanted to purchase their item and after a couple of emails the price was agreed upon. When I asked about payment information the seller sent me his mailing address for a snail mail payment which I mailed the next day. I sent the seller a message indicating payment was in the mail. Two days after my last message to the seller, I receive a message informing me the item was sold to someone else instead -- this is after almost 2 days of no communication from the seller after notification from me concerning payment. I will be honest - I was mad as hell because it was an item I had purchased as a gift for a family member.

I purchased an item last week from a forum member. We communicated several times and I felt comfortable buying from this member. I sent a paypal payment on Wednesday and still have not received any shipping information or tracking number even though this is what the seller sent to me in an email last Monday " i will get it in the mail and a tracking number right to you by weds afternoon ." I have received no communication from this seller since Thursday when he again agreed to sending me a tracking number even though I have made numerous requests to him for this information.

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but I can honestly say I am tired of being jerked around by other forum members. I would rather buy an item on eBay where I have buyer protection and once you commit to buy an item it is yours -- you can pay for it immediately and the seller is obligated to complete the transaction.

It is still enjoyable to see what others have available but unless I personally know the person I will no longer buy items through this venue. Thanks for letting me vent!

otismalibu
01-30-2012, 08:59 AM
If you're using CL (through the mail) or message boards to buy and sell, it's pretty much the wild west.

People bad mouth eBay, but there is at least a hint of accountability there.

godwulf
01-30-2012, 09:16 AM
GW -

Valid points across the board. My issue with contacting 'Items Wanted' ads is the ones who literally put - "Looking for ANY and ALL items of Player X".

When you respond with what items you have (regardless of price), you get the 'I'm not looking for THAT item' response.

What don't they get about the meaning of the words ANY and ALL???

- Smitty

True, I guess. The only problem is, I don't think it's realistic to expect a potential buyer to be too specific about what he (or she) wants or can afford, necessarily, and that can lead to misunderstandings. Particularly with younger collectors or those of limited means. I may post that I'm looking for "any and all", because I really do want to know what's out there and available, but what I'm really looking to buy are the lower-end items, plus I'm not really disposed toward buying duplicates of things I already own; but I'm probably going to feel funny about posting something like, "Looking for all items of Player A priced less than a hundred dollars, and I already have X, Y an Z." I guess a person could do that, but it might be slightly embarrassing.

kellsox
01-30-2012, 09:17 AM
If you're using CL (through the mail) or message boards to buy and sell, it's pretty much the wild west.

People bad mouth eBay, but there is at least a hint of accountability there.

Exactly. I'd rather potentially take a few bucks less for an item and have a good chance of getting paid through eBay than do a dance for a week with a potential buyer from the board and have them back out of an agreement( which happens all to regularly here).

xpress34
01-30-2012, 09:48 AM
The classifieds no longer leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling as a buyer. Last month, I negotiated a deal with a seller in writing (emails are a written contract). I stated I wanted to purchase their item and after a couple of emails the price was agreed upon. When I asked about payment information the seller sent me his mailing address for a snail mail payment which I mailed the next day. I sent the seller a message indicating payment was in the mail. Two days after my last message to the seller, I receive a message informing me the item was sold to someone else instead -- this is after almost 2 days of no communication from the seller after notification from me concerning payment. I will be honest - I was mad as hell because it was an item I had purchased as a gift for a family member.

I purchased an item last week from a forum member. We communicated several times and I felt comfortable buying from this member. I sent a paypal payment on Wednesday and still have not received any shipping information or tracking number even though this is what the seller sent to me in an email last Monday " i will get it in the mail and a tracking number right to you by weds afternoon ." I have received no communication from this seller since Thursday when he again agreed to sending me a tracking number even though I have made numerous requests to him for this information.

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but I can honestly say I am tired of being jerked around by other forum members. I would rather buy an item on eBay where I have buyer protection and once you commit to buy an item it is yours -- you can pay for it immediately and the seller is obligated to complete the transaction.

It is still enjoyable to see what others have available but unless I personally know the person I will no longer buy items through this venue. Thanks for letting me vent!

Short -

I agree with you completely - except for the eBay statement above. A few years ago I won a Lance Berkman GU ASG BP Jersey - paid via PayPal within 10 minutes of the auction ending and within 2 hours had the buyer refund my payment telling me the jersey was no longer available.

When I came here and made a post about it, I got ripped by forum members for being a 'sore loser' and a 'cry baby' among other select terms for bitching about getting screwed on eBay.

So as much as I agree with the sentiments of this entire thread, I also taste a small hint of hypocrisy that none of those same members that lambasted me over a legitimate complaint with an eBay seller haven't made a peep on this topic.

Just my own bitter .02 over a crappy eBay deal. Other than that deal, I agree with you 100%.

- Smitty

Larry Pelliccioni
01-30-2012, 10:50 AM
This is more a forum designed to educate and enlighten than to conduct business which I think is consistent with what the founders intended it to be.
There are a boatload of valid points pointing fingers both at potential buyers and sellers. At the end of the day we must remember that its a place where like minded individuals come together to share their opinions and that in the dealing of these, your conduct and character will always come through to others perceptive enough to pick up on it.
Larry Pelliccioni
www.theclassicstuff.com

kudu
08-07-2013, 03:14 PM
I'd like to know, where are the moderators??? There is a seller on there, CLEARLY violating every rule in that forum, and being disrespectful to other sellers and forum members. Are the moderators too busy to mess with the classifieds? Are the classifieds going to be gone soon? It would be nice if Chris or one of the moderators could chime in on this.

Hoshal13
08-07-2013, 03:36 PM
I've had nothing but good experiences on the classified board. Maybe Dolphins fans are just a nicer bunch lol :D

ChrisCavalier
08-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Okay guys. I just deleted a number of posts that clearly violated the "no personal attacks" rule on the forum. Two things:

1) As discussed before, we created the 'Collector to Collector Classifieds' as a free service to our members. However, it is not something we have a lot of time to moderate, especially given it is a FREE service. In fact, while we will, at times, take action when necessary, we generally aren't watching everything that occurs in that folder. Specifically, part of the user agreement for that section states:

This forum is being offered as a service to our members and we will not be sending warning emails to offenders, etc. Selling on this forum is free and is being offered exclusively at the request of our members. However, buyers need to be aware there are no guarantees to the claims of sellers and you are buying at your on risk....Game Used Universe will not be accountable for any false representations, shipping of incorrect items, etc.

Again, we will at times take action when necessary and warranted. However, we are assuming that the people who use that section will have the decency of following the user agreement found here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=18001

2) As for the posts I deleted in this thread, please note that any continued violations will be met with administrative action. If you have any questions about the forum rules they can be found here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=99

Thank you in advance for your future compliance.

Sincerely,
Chris

kudu
08-07-2013, 05:22 PM
OK. Thanks for the response Chris.