PDA

View Full Version : Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio

mjkm90
09-30-2006, 05:33 AM
Why is it next to impossible to find a Joe Dimaggio store model bat with burned in markings? I have a nice stamped model, but don't know that I've ever seen a branded version that wasn't a gamer.

Mike H.

slidekellyslide
09-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Interesting....I have a LS 40 JDS US Army Model that is foil stamped...It's the only DiMaggio I own, but it is beautiful.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7056/oddsends014smallhb4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ksfarmboy
09-30-2006, 06:21 PM
My theory is that the cheaper bats were foil printed. Dimaggio played during the depression and WW2 and people didn't have the money to spend on higher grade bats. Dimaggio isn't the only tough one, how many Ted Williams (besides Sears), Greenberg and other stars from this era have you seen. I've seen more kork grip Cobb's, Jackson's and Ruth's than these.

Clinton

mjkm90
10-01-2006, 08:03 AM
That seems to make sense, but I'm not sure. You see a lot of bats in general from that time frame with branded logos. Foxx, Waner bros, Gehrig, Hornsby etc. are pretty common, but again, a lot of those are probably from the 30s now that I think about it. If it was a matter of there not being wood available, why would that affect the stamping? It doesn't take more wood to produce a branded bat than a stamped version. If anyone has a MEARS membership, ask Dave Bushing what he thinks please.

ksfarmboy
10-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I don't think it had to do with a wood shortage but different grades of wood. The best grade of wood for a bat would be more expensive and fire branded. The lesser grade wood bats were foil stamped and cheaper models. If you had limited funds you would probably purchase a foil stamped bat over a burnt signature bat. Just my take on it, I may be completely wrong.

Most bat companys did start foil printing their bats in the 1930's and 1940's. It might have been a cheaper way of doing business.

Does anyone have any other thoughts?
Clint

kjjavic
10-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Hello,

Sorry to hijack the thread; But my question is for slidekellyslide, I saw your post with the Joe D. LS special services US Army bat. I posted a couple of photos of some items I acquired at an estate auction a couple of weeks ago, which included 2 footballs and 1 softball, both of which contained the markings: Special Services US Army. I had never seen these markings before. Does this mean they made for army use? and does this help to date the items? Was this a labeling that was only used during WWII?

Thanks for any help you can give
Keith

slidekellyslide
10-01-2006, 10:07 PM
The labelling was only used during WW2 as far as I know. I do believe however that any old Joe could buy these off of a store shelf because I also have a Charlie Gehringer Army bat (Hanna Batrite), but Gehringer was in the Navy. My guess is that it was just part of the sporting goods companies doing their part for the war effort...sort of a patriotic thing.

kjjavic
10-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Great, thanks for the reply. Definetly helps me to date my stuff. The 2 footballs and softballs were in an estate auction with alot of military ephemera (WWII) so I assumed they were some sort of military issue, but your comments make alot of sense. Thanks again
Keith