PDA

View Full Version : Signed Derek Jeter Game Used Home Run Baseball

joelsabi
01-30-2012, 05:10 AM
Anyone find the auction description misleading? Wonder if someone will buy it thinking it was actually hit by Jeter for a home run which is not the case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180807845565&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

xpress34
01-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Joel -

What am I missing?

MLB Cert Validates GU Ball - 9/16/2007 and Jeter Signing

Box Score verifies Jeter hit 3 run HR off Schilling in the 8th.

Can't check Steiner cert since they don't have a database.

Just wondering what you're seeing that I am not...

- Smitty

joelsabi
01-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Joel -

What am I missing?

MLB Cert Validates GU Ball - 9/16/2007 and Jeter Signing

Box Score verifies Jeter hit 3 run HR off Schilling in the 8th.

Can't check Steiner cert since they don't have a database.

Just wondering what you're seeing that I am not...

- Smitty

This is what the description says:

Up for auction is an amazing
Signed Derek Jeter Game Used Home Run Baseball
Inscribed "3 Run HR vs Schilling " from 9/17/07
After purchasing the ball I had The New York Newsday make me a photo quality printof the next mornings cover. I had it matted and proffessionally framed to compliment this amazing ball
The ball has an obvious welt on one side and scuffs from hitting whatever it hit on its way back down to earth.
It comes with a COA from Steiner Sports #15767 and is certified by Major League Baseball #685031BB
I cant find the little card that came with the ball but the serial numbers and various holograms will validate its authenticity. This item is authentic and unaltered.

I searched the MLB Database for BB685031.
I don't notice any specific notation as a HR baseball by Jeter
I then search surrounding baseballs and discovered 18 gathered baseball
BB685026-BB685043 with the same non-descript.

Session Product Description: GAME USED BALL
Session Name: NEW YORK YANKEES @ BOSTON RED SOX
Session Date: September 16, 2007
Autographer:

Later all 18 baseballs were signed by Derek Jeter a week later
Session Name: DEREK JETER SIGNING - STEINER SPORTS
Session Date: September 23, 2007
Autographer: DEREK JETER
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.

The only conclusion I can get from this is that these baseballs are celebrating the event and more than likely have the same inscription. They are more than likely baseball used on that day when Jeter hit the memorable home run and not the actual home run ball.

Was hoping you would have come to the same conclusion.

xpress34
01-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Joel -

I'm not defending the seller or throwing you under the bus, but without knowing for sure if the other balls have the same inscription, it is an unknown.

I can see where you take issue with his stating 'GU HR Baseball'. I did not search the MLB cert numbers on either side of it.

However, MLB isn't always on top with their descriptions, but all I can say is it is speculation on both sides - yours and the sellers - whether this is or is not THE HR Ball.

I guess we would need to see proof that the other balls have the same inscription on them, but I do see where you are coming from.

All the best -

Smitty

shafrancollectibles.com
01-30-2012, 02:45 PM
This is not THE home run ball. I bought about half a dozen of them after they were signed for Steiner and remember them well because even though I very carefully worded the descriptions to show they ARE NOT the actual HR ball, I still remember a very nasty phone call from someone accusing me of trying to sell them as the HR ball. Sometimes you can't win!

shafrancollectibles.com
01-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Here's a photo of one that I had in my files. They are great balls as it was a huge HR at the time - just too bad that 2007 turned out differently than it was looking around this time in September of '07!

https://store01.prostores.com/shafrancollectibles/media/1/a2079291247b1c7e5db222_m.jpg

joelsabi
01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Joel -

I'm not defending the seller or throwing you under the bus, but without knowing for sure if the other balls have the same inscription, it is an unknown.

I can see where you take issue with his stating 'GU HR Baseball'. I did not search the MLB cert numbers on either side of it.

However, MLB isn't always on top with their descriptions, but all I can say is it is speculation on both sides - yours and the sellers - whether this is or is not THE HR Ball.

I guess we would need to see proof that the other balls have the same inscription on them, but I do see where you are coming from.

All the best -

Smitty

I would bet money that it's not the actual hr ball based on my research.

The description made by the seller never says it's the actual ball but never goes out of his way to say it is the actual baseball hit by Jeter. That is why I asked if anyone thinks this is misleading.

shafrancollectibles.com shows there is nothing extra special, ie. being hit by Jeter, about these baseballs besides being used in that particular game. Steiner COAs for game used baseballs usually give the identical information that is already provided from the MLB database.

I do not see anything wrongs with Steiner trying to sell baseballs with these special inscriptions as long as they state what the baseball really is.

Where we have the problem is when the buyer from Steiner trys to resell the item as something it really isn't (ie. the actual hr baseball) at a later date.

joelsabi
01-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Here's a photo of one that I had in my files. They are great balls as it was a huge HR at the time - just too bad that 2007 turned out differently than it was looking around this time in September of '07!

https://store01.prostores.com/shafrancollectibles/media/1/a2079291247b1c7e5db222_m.jpg

Thanks for verifying what I thought.

A photo of a baseball with the same inscription as the other baseball on ebay that has a different MLB hologram number (the two baseballs are also nonconsecutive hologram numbers). Is that enough proof Smitty or do you need to see the other 16 baseballs?

xpress34
01-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Joe -

I'm not the one who brought up the ball - I was simply playing devil's advocate and asked what I was missing - not sure why you have had to make this come across as a personal attack on me:

Was hoping you would have come to the same conclusion.

I explained why I didn't come to the same conclusion. I didn't go research all the other balls.

Is that enough proof Smitty or do you need to see the other 16 baseballs?

I can read what Steiner's rep put up which satisfied my question about whether other balls had the same inscription - but apparently you just need to be a jack ass about it.

I didn't realize that some of the Mods here are a big a jerks as some of the forum members.

Good day.

joelsabi
01-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Joe -

I'm not the one who brought up the ball - I was simply playing devil's advocate and asked what I was missing - not sure why you have had to make this come across as a personal attack on me:

I explained why I didn't come to the same conclusion. I didn't go research all the other balls.

I can read what Steiner's rep put up which satisfied my question about whether other balls had the same inscription - but apparently you just need to be a jack ass about it.

I didn't realize that some of the Mods here are a big a jerks as some of the forum members.

Good day.

Smitty,

Sorry you took it personally. Not my intention. We have enchanged stories by email in the past and thought us to be cordial.

All I was asking is how many baseballs do you need to see since you said that "I guess we would need to see proof that the other balls have the same inscription on them, but I do see where you are coming from." I now know from you last response that you are satisfied and do not need to speculate any further.

Again accept my apologies.

Regards,

Joel

NeonStatus
01-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I agree that the inscription on the baseball seems to be misleading. Some may assume that the ball is the actual ball that was hit by Jeter for a home run that game. Inscriptions like this can cause problems. What will this ball sell for twenty years from now when all of the paperwork is lost?

xpress34
01-31-2012, 12:06 AM
Joel -

I am responding to your eMail, but wanted to publicly apologize myself and thank you for both your eMail and response here.

This exchange both the former and the later part of it are part of what makes this hobby great.

While I took exception to the way you phrased your question to me, you are a big enough man to see why and go out of your way both here and in a personal eMail to mend fences.

All the best -

Smitty

joelsabi
01-31-2012, 12:43 AM
I agree that the inscription on the baseball seems to be misleading. Some may assume that the ball is the actual ball that was hit by Jeter for a home run that game. Inscriptions like this can cause problems. What will this ball sell for twenty years from now when all of the paperwork is lost?

Hopefully, the going rate for a baseball that was used on a game that was memorable for a Jeter fan and nothing more. My prediction is more than one of these baseballs will be listed on Ebay within months of Jeter getting into the HOF.

That is the danger.

Hopefully, twenty years from now knowledge of game used memorabilia will be more readily available and the dissemination of information among collectors has grown enough that collectors know what they are buying.

When it is your item, you can do with it whatever you want. If you want to tell someone that its THE HR baseball that's your business.

But once you are selling it, come clean and tell me what it is. Spell it out. When I am on Ebay, I assume whatever it literally says. It if alludes to it being something, that is not good enough and warrants a clarification question to the seller if I am really interested in it. Most of the time, the seller will come clean. On that rare occasion that the seller does not reply to a clarification question, I assume it is not what it appears to be and move on.

I cannot overemphasis the habit of reading about the surrounding items authenticated at the same time (same session) as the item you are interested in. There have been instances where I was researching a Teixeira bat authenticated on the day he hit for the cycle. If you looked at the surrounding items on the database, you would see four other Teixeira bats authenticated from that date. To assume that the bat was not used to hit the cycle would be a safer move than to assume that it was used for the cycle. Unless, of course, on the MLB database there is a special notation that mentioned that the bat was used for the cycle. None of the bats were specified as the THE cycle bat.

gingi79
01-31-2012, 01:30 AM
FWIW, I read the listing as Joel did, that this was one of the three hr balls.

I think we, the blessed and well informed few who are deeply entrenched in the hobby, stand on guard against the fears Joel brings up. If Steiner isn't in business in 2020, what is to stop this ball from being passed off as an actual HR ball (by mistake or fraud) Even with all we know, two long term and well informed collectors were confused by it.

Is a listing with "I lost the certificate but I remember it saying it was a HR ball and Jeter signed that it is a HR from the game. So of course it's real, right?" really outside the realm of likelihood? Don't we have enough drama without Steiner collecting every baseball and making them out to be something important without subjective conjecture?

Lastly, not to become the sentimental one here but the fact Joel and Smitty got heated and then both apologized, that is the kind of class and maturity I have come to expect here. While I miss many of the old guard and the fact the C to C has become barren, certain people suffering from immaturity and "tough guy syndrome " are not missed. I think the fact so many recent threads have shown this kind of respect should be mentioned.

3arod13
02-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Lastly, not to become the sentimental one here but the fact Joel and Smitty got heated and then both apologized, that is the kind of class and maturity I have come to expect here. While I miss many of the old guard and the fact the C to C has become barren, certain people suffering from immaturity and "tough guy syndrome " are not missed. I think the fact so many recent threads have shown this kind of respect should be mentioned.

+1+1+1