PDA

View Full Version : If Leslie designed a baseball card...

sylbry
01-30-2012, 08:18 PM
this would be it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/skip-schumaker-baseball-card-features-rally-squirrel-not-190252048.html

gorilla777
01-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Who is Leslie??

sox83cubs84
01-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Who is Leslie??

Leslie Ann Zukor, a.k.a. "Frik", one of GUUs most frequent posters and the Forum's biggest Rally Squirrel fan. I sent her this story directly the minute I saw it.

Dave Miedema

WadeInBmore
01-30-2012, 09:26 PM
HAHAHAHA!!! AWESOME!

Les,

How does it rate? Better than the 1952 Andy Pafko?

wade

gingi79
01-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Doesn't Leslie own the Rally Squirrel? Didn't I see her post that in a monthly pick ups thread? This card should help her to photo match it. :D

frikativ54
01-30-2012, 10:05 PM
HAHAHAHA!!! AWESOME!

Les,

How does it rate? Better than the 1952 Andy Pafko?

wade

The Rally Squirrel will be one of my favorite cards, if I will be able to afford it. It's amazing how the one on eBay is already fetching over $150. As it stands, I have a lot of St. Louis Rally Squirrel merchandise, including mostly t-shirts and stuffed animals. For example, I have a two foot tall stuffed Rally Squirrel, which the kitties got to, so I ordered another one. The new one sits in the original box, and I am still getting enjoyment out of the first one. Both have Cards' Rally Squirrel scarves.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/KGrHqQOKiwE6Z-NvjgHBOqk8zM3s60_12.jpg

More generally, I collect squirrel stuff. I have Lalique, Baccarat, and Swarovski crystal squirrels, a plush tree full of stuffed animal squirrels, and thousands of squirrel photographs. My favorite squirrel piece is my nearly two foot tall handmade ceramic squirrel, which is pictured below. It was crafted (no mold) by a Sedona, Arizona artist, who set up in a Seattle-area art show this past summer. The squirrel's name is "Sassy," and she always cheers me up when I see her.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Sassy-SBN.jpg

Long live the St. Louis Cardinals' Rally Squirrel! :D

gingi79
01-30-2012, 11:16 PM
This card is available as a Buy it Now for $600

Didn't some of the WS worn jerseys sell for less?

ironmanfan
01-30-2012, 11:23 PM
In a couple years the Rally Squirrel will go way of the Rally Monkey & those prices will drop to affordable levels.....

frikativ54
01-31-2012, 12:26 PM
In a couple years the Rally Squirrel will go way of the Rally Monkey & those prices will drop to affordable levels.....

This is why I might wait a little while before purchasing the card. I'm not sure how sustainable the value of this item truly is. I would hate to buy it for several hundred dollars and then to have the value plummet to $40. And I've had that happen with baseball cards before, so I've got to be careful.

2000mvpfan
01-31-2012, 01:20 PM
I'd wait too...once upon a time,in 1982,Donruss threw a card of the San Diego Chicken into its baseball set..I can still remember dealers asking $20-$25 for it at the time.The original "gimmick" card.
If you can find one today for OVER 5 cents,I'd be surprised.

Joe

David
01-31-2012, 02:14 PM
The price will go down. Wait. I've collected baseball cards since I was 7. I have the knowledge of a hardened 7 year old baseball card collector.

And, for the record, here's my rally dog. Named Henry in case you want to know.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/297996_2100810875415_1099718246_31747417_175468440 4_n.jpg

frikativ54
01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
The price will go down. Wait. I've collected baseball cards since I was 7. I have the knowledge of a hardened 7 year old baseball card collector.

And, for the record, here's my rally dog. Named Henry in case you want to know.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me; I'll never forget how worthless some of my 1990s baseball cards are. Good thing that they are aesthetically pleasing.

And BTW, nice Rally Dog! :D

murfsteve25
01-31-2012, 08:16 PM
I was at that game. The squirrell jumped in the stands and ran across the feet of me and my girlfriend. It's pretty cool for us to see this card come out.

frikativ54
01-31-2012, 09:01 PM
I was at that game. The squirrell jumped in the stands and ran across the feet of me and my girlfriend. It's pretty cool for us to see this card come out.

Sweet. I'm jealous about your encounter; I love when squirrels crawl all over me. :D

You planning to buy the card?

OaklandAsFan
02-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I'd wait too...once upon a time,in 1982,Donruss threw a card of the San Diego Chicken into its baseball set..I can still remember dealers asking $20-$25 for it at the time.The original "gimmick" card.
If you can find one today for OVER 5 cents,I'd be surprised.

Joe

If you can find more than 20 cards selling for OVER $5 each for any set released between 1980 and 1993 I'd be surprised. I remember when I a kid selling Mattingly rookies for ridiculous sums of money now they are practically pocket change.

jppopma
02-01-2012, 11:23 PM
They really should have made a special card just for the rally squirrel itself...not fair for it to have to share a card with Skip.

OaklandAsFan
02-02-2012, 08:20 AM
technically it is a card just for the squirrel. The card is a short printed variation of the Skip Schumaker card.Topps has done other cards like this the last few years.

camarokids
02-02-2012, 10:14 AM
I love when squirrels crawl all over me. :D

Just trying to get a nut! :p

frikativ54
02-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Just trying to get a nut! :p

LOL! :p

It's interesting how much the value of that card is fluctuating. I've seen it go for over $300 at first to as low as $109.99 yesterday. I'm hoping to get one in the ballpark of $50.

The BGS version (http://www.ebay.com/itm/250987222792?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_1580wt_1117) , the first that was graded and a 9.5, is up for a $1,000 BIN with a BO option.

I think it would be cool to have a BGS 10 version, assuming one were graded that high. But patience is the operative word here. Got to wait until the value drops to have what I think is an awesome card.

gingi79
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
LOL! :p

It's interesting how much the value of that card is fluctuating. I've seen it go for over $300 at first to as low as $109.99 yesterday. I'm hoping to get one in the ballpark of $50.

The BGS version (http://www.ebay.com/itm/250987222792?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_1580wt_1117) , the first that was graded and a 9.5, is up for a $1,000 BIN with a BO option.

I think it would be cool to have a BGS 10 version, assuming one were graded that high. But patience is the operative word here. Got to wait until the value drops to have what I think is an awesome card.

Les, you are a rare collector. I think most of us came from baseball cards and then "upgraded" to game worn material. You seem to still embrace the baseball card world as well. There is nothing wrong with that of course, I just find the collecting habits of fellow collectors to be as unique as the collectors themselves.

If I could put forth a hypothesis however, I don't think this card will ever again be worth as much as $50. When the new season and new story lines begin, it will be a forgotten guffaw. (See Monkey, Rally. Anaheim) I just get the sinking feeling you could obtain a graded 10 version in 2014 for $5 and would hate to hear you missed out on a Bagwell item for it this season :D

frikativ54
02-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Les, you are a rare collector. I think most of us came from baseball cards and then "upgraded" to game worn material. You seem to still embrace the baseball card world as well. There is nothing wrong with that of course, I just find the collecting habits of fellow collectors to be as unique as the collectors themselves.

Yeah, I haven't entirely walked away from baseball cards. I have a stack of my favorite cards upstairs where I store my memorabilia. Most cards are Bagwells, and since I transitioned to game used, I have cut my card collecting down significantly. Now, I just focus on a few sets where I enjoy the aesthetic appeal of the cards. For example, I really have a thing for Donruss Recollection Collections, and I love some of the on card autos. What I stay away from, unless they are really aesthetically appealing, are the generic swatch cards. I love my Bagwell Exquisite baseball 1 of 1's, because of the look, not due to there being game worn jersey swatches therein. Here are some pics:

http://bagwellgameused.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jbagsexquisite1.jpg?w=468&h=290

http://bagwellgameused.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jbagsexquisite2.jpg?w=468&h=294

If I could put forth a hypothesis however, I don't think this card will ever again be worth as much as $50. When the new season and new story lines begin, it will be a forgotten guffaw. (See Monkey, Rally. Anaheim) I just get the sinking feeling you could obtain a graded 10 version in 2014 for $5 and would hate to hear you missed out on a Bagwell item for it this season :D

You are probably right on here. Perhaps $50 is too much for the Rally Squirrel card. I love it, but the value is dropping quickly. I'd love to have the BGS 10 version, but maybe I should just wait. I don't know how shortprinted the card was, so I'm just not sure how many are out there. But you're right, I would not want to miss out on a Bagwell item, because I spent the money on a Rally Squirrel card that may not be all that rare.

jppopma
02-04-2012, 01:20 PM
How long til a "game fur" Rally Squirrel card? Wish I knew how to photoshop one together to post on here...

frikativ54
02-04-2012, 05:56 PM
How long til a "game fur" Rally Squirrel card? Wish I knew how to photoshop one together to post on here...

Sadly, I can just see a card company pulling such a stunt. The back of the card would say: "Congratulations on pulling a piece of history. This card has been certified to us by St. Louis Taxidermy as being a swatch of authentic fur from the tail of the Rally Squirrel." I would hope, though, that they would choose a piece of fur from the mascot and not an actual squirrel. :p

OaklandAsFan
02-04-2012, 06:43 PM
I too collect both cards and GU items.

I have a collection of around 250k cards mostly newer stuff along with my inherited 2 sets of T206 (minus Plank and Wagner in both but one has the Magie error)

These days I generally just stick to Bowman for rookies to get signed during fall league and spring training.

project 4
04-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Just reading some old threads and came across this one which I thought was amusing. I know companies have used stadium seats, hardwood floor, grass and such, but game used fur would take the cake.