X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 33bird
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

What causes deadwood on bats?

Anybody know? Is it just age, where it's been stored, water?
    Thanks.
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

Re: What causes deadwood on bats?

Deadwood is caused by the repeated contact of a baseball on the hitting surface of the bat. This causes grain separation and the raising of the wood. The wood become slightly brittle and has a soft sound when you hit it with your knuckles as compared to hitting a section of the bat which has no deadwood.

I like to see deadwood on bats which is usually a good indication of use.

David
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• jon_8_us
      • May 2006

I agree.Deadwood on bats shows there was tremendous use.Some see it as ugly.I would rather have a bat with deadwood than a bat that shows little use!
      jon
      Always looking for Manny Ramirez game used items

Comment

• camarokids
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by jon_8_us
        I agree.Deadwood on bats shows there was tremendous use.Some see it as ugly.I would rather have a bat with deadwood than a bat that shows little use!
        jon
        Wow , that makes me feel a lot better about some of the bats I have . I have quite a few where this has happened . I figured they were less desireable to collectors . I have seen bats discounted in price due to deadwood , that's why I thought they were less valuable and DID have a negative feeling towards deadwood .
        Thank you,
        David

This is my email address here!
        dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• 33bird
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

That was what I thought too. Now I won't be apprehensive to go after bats with deadwood. Thanks guys.

Comment

• indyred
            • May 2006

I think the term deadwood just gives off a bad vibe. Isn't any wood in a bat dead. Not like the wood is still living, in the other parts of the bat. Here is how PSA has defined it in there bat terms glossary......
            Checking (deadwood) - Raising or separation of the wood grain of a bat, frequently caused by repeated contact with a baseball on the hitting surface.

I like the term checking better that they used. I don't believe deadwood really effects the bat grade. In some case like other's have said here, it actually is a good sign in that it shows the bat has had great used.....

Comment

Working...