PDA

View Full Version : What causes deadwood on bats?

33bird
09-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Anybody know? Is it just age, where it's been stored, water?
Thanks.

metsbats
09-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Deadwood is caused by the repeated contact of a baseball on the hitting surface of the bat. This causes grain separation and the raising of the wood. The wood become slightly brittle and has a soft sound when you hit it with your knuckles as compared to hitting a section of the bat which has no deadwood.

I like to see deadwood on bats which is usually a good indication of use.

David

jon_8_us
09-30-2006, 02:06 PM
I agree.Deadwood on bats shows there was tremendous use.Some see it as ugly.I would rather have a bat with deadwood than a bat that shows little use!
jon

camarokids
10-01-2006, 12:04 PM
I agree.Deadwood on bats shows there was tremendous use.Some see it as ugly.I would rather have a bat with deadwood than a bat that shows little use!
jon

Wow http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/icons/icon7.gif, that makes me feel a lot better about some of the bats I have . I have quite a few where this has happened . I figured they were less desireable to collectors . I have seen bats discounted in price due to deadwood , that's why I thought they were less valuable and DID have a negative feeling towards deadwood .

33bird
10-01-2006, 03:53 PM
That was what I thought too. Now I won't be apprehensive to go after bats with deadwood. Thanks guys.

indyred
10-02-2006, 09:36 AM
I think the term deadwood just gives off a bad vibe. Isn't any wood in a bat dead. Not like the wood is still living, in the other parts of the bat. Here is how PSA has defined it in there bat terms glossary......
Checking (deadwood) - Raising or separation of the wood grain of a bat, frequently caused by repeated contact with a baseball on the hitting surface.

I like the term checking better that they used. I don't believe deadwood really effects the bat grade. In some case like other's have said here, it actually is a good sign in that it shows the bat has had great used.....