PDA

View Full Version : Seller backs out--what would you do?

genius
02-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Hello group! Would appreciate any advice and insight here as I just had my first negative g/u experience (I know I've probably been lucky!). A dealer and forum member from Canada posted an awesome Pittsburgh jersey a couple of weeks back and asked for opinions. I replied with my email address, willing to offer thoughts and also thinking it might be for sale. I got an email from him asking for my thoughts, I say I think it's legit and ask if it's for sale, he asks for an offer and about an hour later we're on the phone hashing out a deal. Deal gets done and he's getting me wiring instructions overnight for two different bank accounts. Next morning I get an email asking for more money.

I immediately let my temper get the best of me and told him no way, because we had a deal. The deal was near $20K so it's not like I was trying to lowball the guy. But he sold it to someone else. I figured I had to just let it go because of the cross-border issue, I have no recourse. I pretty soon regretted though not agreeing to the higher amount. He did at least give me the opportunity to pay more for it. I could have come up with the extra money though obviously it was a ton of money to begin with. Could have borrowed from "the fund" and then sold some other items, etc. It was the one shirt I've been looking for.

At the same time, principle kicks in when someone backs out on deal. It's one thing when someone decides to keep an item but to agree on a high price and then renege on it for even more money makes it hard for me to want to do business. I wouldn't mind not being the highest bidder in an auction (happens to me all the time!!!) but this one really bothers me because we had a deal done. And the dealer seems like a nice guy, I'm not feeling angry or vindictive about it. It's just not sitting well.

What would you do in this situation and what do you think I can or should do? The dealer claims he contacted the buyer and asked if he would sell it, but won't put me in contact with him. I'd love to get in touch obviously and see if he's as "die hard" a Pittsburgh collector as me, and if not could we work something out? I could list in the Items Wanted section but what if he's not a forum member? How do you find him? I don't have the contacts in the collecting community that are probably needed to know who picked it up.

There are more important things in life obviously and I was definitely spared the scrutiny that would have come from you-know-who but again this one just isn't sitting well, both because a deal was broken and because I think I missed an opportunity by not agreeing to the higher amount. Is this just collecting as "sport" and simply tough luck for me? Have any of you been on the other end of this and obtained an item that was "under contract" without being lowballed but you still were able to convince the seller to back out of the deal and go with you? Would love to know if anyone had a similar situation work out for them. Thanks!

yanks12025
02-06-2012, 08:39 PM
May I ask who the player was?

legaleagle92481
02-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Hello group! Would appreciate any advice and insight here as I just had my first negative g/u experience (I know I've probably been lucky!). A dealer and forum member from Canada posted an awesome Pittsburgh jersey a couple of weeks back and asked for opinions. I replied with my email address, willing to offer thoughts and also thinking it might be for sale. I got an email from him asking for my thoughts, I say I think it's legit and ask if it's for sale, he asks for an offer and about an hour later we're on the phone hashing out a deal. Deal gets done and he's getting me wiring instructions overnight for two different bank accounts. Next morning I get an email asking for more money.

I immediately let my temper get the best of me and told him no way, because we had a deal. The deal was near $20K so it's not like I was trying to lowball the guy. But he sold it to someone else. I figured I had to just let it go because of the cross-border issue, I have no recourse. I pretty soon regretted though not agreeing to the higher amount. He did at least give me the opportunity to pay more for it. I could have come up with the extra money though obviously it was a ton of money to begin with. Could have borrowed from "the fund" and then sold some other items, etc. It was the one shirt I've been looking for.

At the same time, principle kicks in when someone backs out on deal. It's one thing when someone decides to keep an item but to agree on a high price and then renege on it for even more money makes it hard for me to want to do business. I wouldn't mind not being the highest bidder in an auction (happens to me all the time!!!) but this one really bothers me because we had a deal done. And the dealer seems like a nice guy, I'm not feeling angry or vindictive about it. It's just not sitting well.

What would you do in this situation and what do you think I can or should do? The dealer claims he contacted the buyer and asked if he would sell it, but won't put me in contact with him. I'd love to get in touch obviously and see if he's as "die hard" a Pittsburgh collector as me, and if not could we work something out? I could list in the Items Wanted section but what if he's not a forum member? How do you find him? I don't have the contacts in the collecting community that are probably needed to know who picked it up.

There are more important things in life obviously and I was definitely spared the scrutiny that would have come from you-know-who but again this one just isn't sitting well, both because a deal was broken and because I think I missed an opportunity by not agreeing to the higher amount. Is this just collecting as "sport" and simply tough luck for me? Have any of you been on the other end of this and obtained an item that was "under contract" without being lowballed but you still were able to convince the seller to back out of the deal and go with you? Would love to know if anyone had a similar situation work out for them. Thanks!

I think your missing out on something more important here. You say the seller is in Canada and you were going to wire him the money. For your own safety never wire money to Canada especially $20,000. Google how many scams are run with that as a basis. A Greene is such a rare jersey, how do you know he even had one? Pics? Anyone can find pics online and claim they are theirs. How do you know they were his? Do you even know this member? Ever dealt with him or talked to anyone who has? Just because someone is a member does not mean they are legit, last time I checked this site does not conduct background checks to join. Asking for more money is another red flag as is two bank accounts. How do you know he sold the "jersey" and did not just cold feet on scamming you? You say hes a dealer but that means nothing everyone and his brother is a dealer these days. Most of the members of this forum are dealers in the sense that they buy stuff to resell as a profit although they don't earn their living entirely from it. I would consider myself lucky I did not get scammed and forget about it.

otismalibu
02-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Would someone really sell a Mean Joe Steelers jersey on a message board as opposed to a major auction house? I suppose it's possible.

As far as sellers backing out - it happens all the time. Last week a seller requested my email to send me a Paypal invoice, after we'd struck a deal. The next email said they sold the item to someone else. The deal is never done until the seller has the money and the buyer has the item.

cohibasmoker
02-07-2012, 01:49 PM

I immediately let my temper get the best of me and told him no way, because we had a deal . The deal was near $20K so it's not like I was trying to lowball the guy. But he sold it to someone else. I figured I had to just let it go because of the cross-border issue, I have no recourse. I pretty soon regretted though not agreeing to the higher amount. He did at least give me the opportunity to pay more for it. I could have come up with the extra money though obviously it was a ton of money to begin with. Could have borrowed from "the fund" and then sold some other items, etc. It was the one shirt I've been looking for.

Jeff, you may have lucked out. Best the guy backed out BEFORE you sent the money and not after - if the guy couldn't be trusted to follow through with the original deal, who's to say he could be trusted to either send the jersey and/or a refund after he got your money? Out of State payments are risky and out of Country even riskier.

Just an opinion,

Jim

TNTtoys
02-07-2012, 02:57 PM
All,

This is very shady ground. Forgetting that attempting to sell a $20,000.00 jersey on a message board that has a limit of $500 isn't "mildly bending the rules," this user managed to stay below the radar until this particular transaction gone horribly wrong. He has maintained an ID here for a couple of years, opening an occasional thread with a high priced jersey that "he doesn't know what it is or could be" resulting in him taking offers on it. The forum has no idea who he is apart from the fact that he is from Canada. We have no knowledge whatsoever of the outcomes of any of his transactions.

Justin hit the nail on the head as to why this type of trade should be avoided. Wiring this amount of money out of the country to someone you don't know and that nobody here knows? Come on guys, you have to have more common sense than this.

cliffjmp33
02-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Fully agree with the previous two statements from Jim an TNTtoys.

Quick questions for the mods though. Has the shady member been banned yet? Or, if someone sadly has been taken for, reported to any authorities?

I'd say outing him on here would help, but I don't want to start a storm of defamation and such as I know nothing more than what genius provided us with.

TNTtoys
02-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Fully agree with the previous two statements from Jim an TNTtoys.

Quick questions for the mods though. Has the shady member been banned yet? Or, if someone sadly has been taken for, reported to any authorities?

I'd say outing him on here would help, but I don't want to start a storm of defamation and such as I know nothing more than what genius provided us with.

Jack -

yes, I did verify that the user has been banned.

and as I said earlier, I have no idea of the outcomes of any such transactions.

Nick

slam
02-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Would anybody like to share the name of this individual so that others aren't taken.

cliffjmp33
02-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the quick response Nick. Glad to hear he was banned.

It's just sad that there are people out there looking to take advantage of a helpful community like this for their own sinister reasons.

both-teams-played-hard
02-07-2012, 03:30 PM
The seller didn't advertise this item for sale. He included his e-mail address. No
forum rules were broken.
I am sorry that this jersey didn't go to genius, because he is a true Pittsburgh fan.
Don't forget that someone did buy this jersey. It will surely wind up at auction.
If the owner of this jersey who posted photos was indeed banned, then that is complete, utter bullshit. The only thing that was shady, was not accepting Genius' original offer and terms.

both-teams-played-hard
02-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the quick response Nick. Glad to hear he was banned.

It's just sad that there are people out there looking to take advantage of a helpful community like this for their own sinister reasons.
Reneging on a deal is bad form, but hardly sinister.
No one lost money or was ripped off.

cliffjmp33
02-07-2012, 03:46 PM
BTPH, I understand and perhaps should have worded things better or used better judgement in posting a blanket statement like that. My apologies for that.

TNTtoys
02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Would anybody like to share the name of this individual so that others aren't taken.

Nobody stated or even implied that he individuals were "taken" -- only that rules were circumvented and transactions like these are risky. I repeated myself when I said that the outcomes of these transactions are unknown.

jppopma
02-07-2012, 04:07 PM
I think your missing out on something more important here. You say the seller is in Canada and you were going to wire him the money. For your own safety never wire money to Canada especially $20,000. Google how many scams are run with that as a basis. A Greene is such a rare jersey, how do you know he even had one? Pics? Anyone can find pics online and claim they are theirs. How do you know they were his? Do you even know this member? Ever dealt with him or talked to anyone who has? Just because someone is a member does not mean they are legit, last time I checked this site does not conduct background checks to join. Asking for more money is another red flag as is two bank accounts. How do you know he sold the "jersey" and did not just cold feet on scamming you? You say hes a dealer but that means nothing everyone and his brother is a dealer these days. Most of the members of this forum are dealers in the sense that they buy stuff to resell as a profit although they don't earn their living entirely from it. I would consider myself lucky I did not get scammed and forget about it.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the original post. Refusing certain payment methods, or especially wiring money, should always be a red flag.

I'm glad also that I'm not the only one who is skeptical of some post on here with people claiming to have this this and this jersey. Some of it seems to be big show off moves -- like the kid in high school who had a Porsche, but it was always in the shop.

As for banning this member. If he is coming out and saying that he is taking offers for it, its the same as listing it for sale. If a member contact him and works out a deal offboard, then I have no issue for it. With my concerned about the scam aspect of it...I think our board is better off without this type of person. Wiring money to two different accounts just gets my cop sense tingling way too much.

TNTtoys
02-07-2012, 04:08 PM
someone did buy this jersey. It will surely wind up at auction.

Out of sheer curiosity... Genius offered in the ballpark of $20K which was in turn rejected for a higher price of $4K more. You seem confident that the jersey will be sold by auction. Just how expensive is a jersey like this one? The seller would have to get $30K at auction just to break even after the hammer fees.

slam
02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Nobody stated or even implied that he individuals were "taken" -- only that rules were circumvented and transactions like these are risky. I repeated myself when I said that the outcomes of these transactions are unknown.

Ok, in order for me to not enter into a risky transaction would anybody like to share the name of the individual.

genius
02-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I obviously didn't choose my GUU handle for my IQ (Guinness = Pure Genius)! It would take a once-in-a-lifetime jersey for me to risk this kind of transaction. I truly thought the only risk was the transit of the shirt though, I didn't have any feeling that it was a scam. The two-accounts deal was because of incoming wire taxes on over $10K or something like that.

The dealer never said anything on the thread about it being for sale. We emailed back and forth off-thread, then I made a post out of frustration when he backed out of the deal and the moderators deleted the thread, I now understand why. My reason main for posting was to see if anyone had any similar experiences that ended up working out favorably, and if anyone had suggestions to track down the buyer and see if they would be willing to work out a deal given the circumstances. This would have been my Bettis Super Bowl XL, done-with-collecting moment! It is embarrassing the amount of money as I don't have that kind of money to throw around but for a legit item I would have sold off all the excess and it would have been worth it.

cliffjmp33
02-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for more insight Genius. I truly hope that you are able to find a "grail" piece in the near future.

And again my apologies for jumping the gun here as I should have reread posts before making large and incorrect assumptions that anyone was being scammed and the reasons a person was banned.

karamaxjoe
02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I obviously didn't choose my GUU handle for my IQ (Guinness = Pure Genius)! It would take a once-in-a-lifetime jersey for me to risk this kind of transaction. I truly thought the only risk was the transit of the shirt though, I didn't have any feeling that it was a scam. The two-accounts deal was because of incoming wire taxes on over $10K or something like that.

The dealer never said anything on the thread about it being for sale. We emailed back and forth off-thread, then I made a post out of frustration when he backed out of the deal and the moderators deleted the thread, I now understand why. My reason main for posting was to see if anyone had any similar experiences that ended up working out favorably, and if anyone had suggestions to track down the buyer and see if they would be willing to work out a deal given the circumstances. This would have been my Bettis Super Bowl XL, done-with-collecting moment! It is embarrassing the amount of money as I don't have that kind of money to throw around but for a legit item I would have sold off all the excess and it would have been worth it.

I'm curious how you know that the jersey actually exists? Anyone can pull pictures from old auctions and claim they own anything. The fact that the seller asked for funds to be wired makes me believe the entire situation was a phishing scam.

bigben7
02-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Just my 2 cents. I looked at the photos of the Greene jersey and I am not convinced this jersey was authentic game used. The jersey did not have the Steelers exclusive tags and no year tag. I have seen a few authentic Steelers Jersey's from the 74 and 75 Season and this jersey did not look like those. I would want to see the jersey up close and also look at the wear. Early Steelers jersey's should be beat up with alot of team repairs.

both-teams-played-hard
02-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Out of sheer curiosity... Genius offered in the ballpark of $20K which was in turn rejected for a higher price of $4K more. You seem confident that the jersey will be sold by auction. Just how expensive is a jersey like this one? The seller would have to get $30K at auction just to break even after the hammer fees.
I actually don't know. I think the jersey is worth 20K, 25K tops. I guess a collector bought the jersey, because it doesn't seem like a flip is worthwhile. It seems it won't be at auction, just in a personal collection.

otismalibu
02-07-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm no Steelers expert. Did Greene often wear the long sleeves?

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/MeanJoe3.jpg

onlyalbert
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm no Steelers expert. Did Greene often wear the long sleeves?

Heck, that looks like a match right there. Look at the 5 on the tight shoulder and the indent at the top point of the 5. Looks pretty close to the pic.

both-teams-played-hard
02-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I would like to know if the rip was repaired on the yellow stripe on the right sleeve. If then, a photo-match. Definite style match.

legaleagle92481
02-08-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm curious how you know that the jersey actually exists? Anyone can pull pictures from old auctions and claim they own anything. The fact that the seller asked for funds to be wired makes me believe the entire situation was a phishing scam.

agree 100%. i am still mind boogled how some people are so trusting. all my big dollar transactions and none have been close to 20k were with some sort of protection, whether it was via ebay, an auction house, etc. if i was spending 20k under these facts i think the only safe way would be to meet the seller in person somehow examine the jersey in person then tender the funds once ones satisfied and immediately take possession of the jersey. heck whats cost of a plane flight when your spending 20k?

genius
02-08-2012, 12:26 AM
5 kids (ages 14 years to 7 months!) got in the way of that idea! Oh to be single and free to spend away on g/u and take off at a moment's notice...wait a minute there's no way I would want that! Plus I'm building a great inventory of all my kids' g/u items for when they hit the big leagues. Or, for when I finally finish the basement. I keep every shirt!

Obviously all concerns and comments are valid on this type of transaction but it's still a tough defeat to take, this one would have been taken care of and would have been on public display someday if I could have gotten my hands on it. But darnit I'm going to keep looking, there may be others out there! I appreciate all of the replies on this thread, even though hope is pretty much lost with this particular item it helped to see other perspectives on it. For what it's worth I did a transaction through GUU a couple of years ago that enabled me to establish a fund so that I could make a run at this sort of item!

solarlottry
02-08-2012, 03:17 AM
That does look like a photo-match! The 5 is spot on...

Regardless of the match, leagle is completely correct with regards to big ticket sales or purchases.

I learned the hard way with a high end sale that I had made, where the buyer bailed out of the purchase half-way thru. I was nice (or dumb enough) to send the buyer the jersey to "check out" and then allowed payments over time. There was never an ill intent on either parties side but when one side has financial issues and the sale cannot be completed, then both sides are in trouble. As the buyer had sent me $ over time, I spent it. When he unexpectedly bailed on the purchase, I did not have all of the cash to pay him back promptly. Thus a no win situation emerges where the failed buyer has the jersey and all of the power and the seller, who was nice enough to send it in the first place, has to come up with $ fast, to get it back. In this case things are amicable and are in the process of being resolved but it could have easily turned quite ugly fast!

In the future, unless it is someone who I know and trust, I will never send an item without being paid in full. If the buyer wants to "check out" something then some sort of escrow deal will have to be worked out in advance before I send anything. This stops problems before they start.

This hobby has its fair share of unsavory characters (the failed buyer is not such a person and he genuinely felt bad about the situation) so to give these type of people any chance of making a quick buck is not a good idea. If a deal sounds too good or too easy-it probably is.

Always buying 49er GU and ALL 1994 49er GU items!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

GameWornJCollector
02-08-2012, 06:31 AM
[/URL]@Genius.... in my opinion that was really stupid sending 20K to canada... i would've done that via ebay and paypal .. you'll get your money back there..
but I never sped 20K on a jersey...
[URL="http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=2165"] (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=2165)

cohibasmoker
02-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Hey, I live in NJ - if anyone has any transactions in my State but are afraid to send money to the Seller, contact me. For a small fee, I'd be the middle man. The Buyer and Seller would work out the deal with the Buyer sending me the money. Once I get the cash from the Buyer, I'd be willing to drive to the Seller's location, exchange the cash for the item and send the item to the Buyer.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

kprst6
02-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Here's my 2 cents.

If you can afford to pay $20,000 for a jersey, you can afford $100.00 for a passport, $400.00 for a flight, and $300.00 for transportation and misc costs to meet the person.

If I ever buy or sell something that large, it's always in person. If I sell anything over $2,000 it's always within driving distance because if I get ripped off, i'll be at the person's doorstep when they least expect me.

Flamechicken
02-08-2012, 05:26 PM
You could also pay about $200 in fees and put that $20,000 in an escrow account.

NEFAN
02-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Here's my 2 cents.

If you can afford to pay $20,000 for a jersey, you can afford $100.00 for a passport, $400.00 for a flight, and $300.00 for transportation and misc costs to meet the person.

If I ever buy or sell something that large, it's always in person. If I sell anything over $2,000 it's always within driving distance because if I get ripped off, i'll be at the person's doorstep when they least expect me.

Exactly what I was going to post.

Flamechicken
02-09-2012, 04:43 PM
If it is indeed a photo-match, which it definitely could be, compared to the Getty image, it seems to me that the value would increase substantially and whoever bought at 20k might have struck gold.

I've tried, with no luck, to find a photo-matched 70's Greene jersey that has recently gone to auction. Does anyone have any information to such?

Mike

genius
02-09-2012, 05:03 PM
I know, it's painful! I never would have sold it though so for me it was just about obtaining the item rather than ever trying for financial gain on it. The only small consolation is knowing that if I would have agreed to the additional money I could well have been asked for more money on top of that, then more on top of that, etc. Once someone backs out of one deal they can surely back out of another. It may simply have been out of my reach from the get-go with another buyer out there with deeper pockets. Only reason I could even go after it was because of a deal that Chris Cavalier at GUU helped me with a few years back and for that I'm grateful!

As for other Greenes, I've only seen one but if I recall correctly it was highly questionable, a "cold weather" jersey that nobody could style match.

both-teams-played-hard
02-09-2012, 05:16 PM
As for other Greenes, I've only seen one but if I recall correctly it was highly questionable, a "cold weather" jersey that nobody could style match.
If the rip on the right shoulder striping was repaired, then we can do the math. We may never know since the original owner of this jersey has been banned.

Flamechicken
02-09-2012, 07:39 PM
If the rip on the right shoulder striping was repaired, then we can do the math. We may never know since the original owner of this jersey has been banned.

I took a closer look at the Getty image on their website and it appears, to me, that it's a problem with the photo negative itself, not a tear in the jersey. It looks like the "tear" carries over from the sleeve to the black part of the jersey under his arm along his side.

treant985
02-12-2012, 12:20 PM
If it truly were a scam, it seems like the seller would've just taken the $20K offer (esp after genius made a big deal about not paying extra) rather than completely backing out and ending up with no $.

Even if the seller found someone else to scam, it seems like he would be perfectly content to scam TWO people into paying.

jppopma
02-12-2012, 01:38 PM
If it truly were a scam, it seems like the seller would've just taken the $20K offer (esp after genius made a big deal about not paying extra) rather than completely backing out and ending up with no $.

Even if the seller found someone else to scam, it seems like he would be perfectly content to scam TWO people into paying.

Good point Treant. As a heads up to anybody who is not familiar with these kinds of scams, they will often go to whatever means they can to get you to go along with it. These scammers will play hardball and threaten to report you to ebay, get you banned from the forum, or even threaten lawsuits to get you to go along and send payment.

I think Genius did the right things by asking for opinions on here. We all have to trust our gut on things, but we should take advantage of the great tool this forum offers in providing feedback and other opinions.

In this case, if it wasn't a scam...maybe the seller was working as a middle man and still didn't own the jersey. As the very least, there is hope that the jersey is out there somewhere. Hopefully we read about Genius picking it up a couple years down the line.

genius
02-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Hopefully we read about Genius picking it up a couple years down the line.

Thank you for that, I appreciate it! I hope so too, in the meantime I have this recent pickup to "enjoy", talk about adding insult to injury! As James Belushi said though, "don't EVER lose your sense of humor!!!"