PDA

View Full Version : One Man's Trash.......

ironmanfan
02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Pretty interesting piece on Yahoo on what someone found at a Yard Sale...

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/good-sports/201202/nfl-fans-surprising-yard-sale-super-bowl-playbook-discovery

Best thing you ever found at a yard sale?

DJaeger22
02-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Not me but a few friends of mine helped an older guy in their neighborhood set up for a yard sale. One friend saw a signed AL ball by Jim Palmer and Brooks Robinson and the guy let him have it. My other friend found a Glass Plaque/trophy from a special event at Camden Yards. Both got the items for just helping the guy out. I havent found anything worth noting yet.

ironmanfan
02-08-2012, 10:50 AM
The best thing that I've ever run across was a presentation placque that had been given to famed Orioles HOF broadcaster Chuck Thompson....I held on to it for a couple years and then I had the idea of returning it to him....Subsequently, I did mail it to him in care of the Orioles (this was 18-20 years ago) and unfortunately, I never heard anything about it after that....

On a tangent, it's funny how things come full circle...A couple years ago I answered an ad on Craigslist for an Esskay Orioles hot dog vending holder. When I went to pick it up, the person who I purchased it from was indeed Chuck Thompson's own grandson (I didn't know that until I got there). He told me that after Memorial Stadium closed, the Orioles had given his grandfather (who had since passed) some memorabilia from the stadium & this Esskay piece was part of that collection.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/craigs12000712-1.jpg

godwulf
02-08-2012, 12:05 PM
When I first read the thread title, I thought it was going to be about somebody trying to sell Barry Bonds' junk mail, or something. I've heard that celebs, more and more, have to guard against people stealing their garbage, for one reason or another.

Anyway, I've never run across anything like that, personally, but I've bought a couple of items from people who did. Some local guy found a really nice presentation Louisville Slugger with a brass plaque, presented to Wendell Kim, manager of the Phoenix Firebirds in the mid-90s, at a yard sale for a few bucks and sold it to me. Turned out that Kim was the one having the sale.

Just a few months ago, I got ahold of another yard sale discovery - Chris Speier's 1998 Scottsdale Scorpions Arizona Fall League manager's jersey. The lady who sold it to me found it at a yard sale in Indiana, of all places, and had no idea that it was even game-worn - had it listed under "Used Clothing".

mad87man
02-08-2012, 02:15 PM
That's pretty cool i saw this on Yahoo as well. I think i woulda kept the playbooks. What are the odds they are even close to the stuff they use now? Teams change from week to week lol.

kudu
02-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Pro Bowl Playbooks??? How are those going to hurt his beloved Panthers?? LOL

Skizzick
02-08-2012, 07:50 PM
The best thing that I've ever run across was a presentation placque that had been given to famed Orioles HOF broadcaster Chuck Thompson....I held on to it for a couple years and then I had the idea of returning it to him....Subsequently, I did mail it to him in care of the Orioles (this was 18-20 years ago) and unfortunately, I never heard anything about it after that....

On a tangent, it's funny how things come full circle...A couple years ago I answered an ad on Craigslist for an Esskay Orioles hot dog vending holder. When I went to pick it up, the person who I purchased it from was indeed Chuck Thompson's own grandson (I didn't know that until I got there). He told me that after Memorial Stadium closed, the Orioles had given his grandfather (who had since passed) some memorabilia from the stadium & this Esskay piece was part of that collection.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/craigs12000712-1.jpg
Great story. But seriously, you have something of the guy's and you just drop it in the mail. Did you at least send him a letter first saying that you had it? I would have brought it to him in person.

NEFAN
02-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Pro Bowl Playbooks??? How are those going to hurt his beloved Panthers?? LOL

He was worried the Super Bowl Playbook would hurt them.

A diehard Carolina Panthers supporter found a Super Bowl playbook from his beloved NFL franchise in bags earmarked for the dumpster (http://www.wcnc.com/sports/Panthers-fan-finds-Carolinas-Super-Bowl-playbook-at-yard-sale-138894819.html).

Different book, still not going to hurt the team.

godwulf
02-09-2012, 02:22 PM

Totally OT, but this reminds me of one of the all-time great Baseball movie quotes - Costner to Robbins in Bull Durham: "Don't think. It can only hurt the team."

kudu
02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
He was worried the Super Bowl Playbook would hurt them.

A diehard Carolina Panthers supporter found a Super Bowl playbook from his beloved NFL franchise in bags earmarked for the dumpster (http://www.wcnc.com/sports/Panthers-fan-finds-Carolinas-Super-Bowl-playbook-at-yard-sale-138894819.html).

Ah OK. My mistake. I didnt realize he kept the Pro Bowl books. But still, your right, Super Bowl playbooks from 8 years ago probably not going to hurt.