PDA

View Full Version : The vintage Orange of the Buccaneers + TACKLE TWILL vs. screened on

jake33
02-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I will get pics up later for comparrison. Just wanted to mentiona brief history of the Bucs orange on their uniforms and throwbacks.

In 2009, when the Bucs released their throwback uniforms at a press conference they noted how it came about in getting the uniforms. One of Glazers, speaking to the media mentioned the long time desire for the Bucs to do a throwback game. He claimed the strong desire to get the orange of the uniform exactly correct. Suprisingly, he said the team did not have an original sample of the 1976 orange Bucs jerseys to send for color matching to the manufacturer.

With the desire to get the orange of the uniforms correct, it seems like the team did find SOME old orange jerseys for reference. Mr. Glazer did not get into detail, btu said "Back then, quality control was not what it is today." This lead me to believe the orange had variations over the years. Glazer went on to state that the team located an original orange 1976 bucs jersey throw a person on craigslist. That person had a saleman's sample from a relative of a mint issued 1976 Bucs jersey. The team purchased that exact jersey and used it for color matching. Interesting story if that is true.

Any ways, I recently bought a 2010 Bucs throwback jersey that was modeled and supposedly color matched after that 1976 salesman sample. I also have in my possesion an unwashed 1996 (LAST season of the original Bucs orange) for comparrison.

Very interesting as the 2010 throwback looks spot on, my 1996 gamer is 2 maybe 3 shades of orange brighter. The 2010 throwback, when looking at it very close, give much more of a dulled peach look to it. the 1996 gamer, has a sharp, crisp bright orange with a bit glossier of a look. i would assume the gloss comes from the material of the 1996 jersey being different. The 2010 is all mesh and screened on numbers and name.

--

I used to really dislike screened on name and numbers, I think that was as a kid in the 1990's, retail replicas really looked awful and the screened on material would crack and fade after a couple washings. However, the screened on name and number on the 2010 bucs throwback, really is top notch. The jersey also is so light weight and more breathable, I can roll it up like a burrito. As most of us know from our sewn on game jerseys, they tackle twill is thicker, heavier, and significantly stiffer.

I will always like tackle twill more than screen. I think this is still because of my distaste for screened on jerseys in my youth. Also, when I got my first authentic jersey in 1999 (a trent dilfer bucs authentic). It was a huge thrill to get a jersey with sewn on patches, name, and numbers. So, because of that, I will always favor the tackle twill.

Back then, they did not make $80 retail replica jerseys with the NFL shield and fake spandex sides the only way to get it was for a $200 authentic, if you could find one. It was a major step up from retail to authentic, which I think it still should be that way. Now with those junk "premeire" jerseys with so-so qualuty sewn on numbers, the NFL pushed more middle of the road casual fans get a nicer jersey, again I have a dislike for that. I remember going to games in my teens in the 1990's and if you saw someone with an NFL shield on their jersey, it was like WOW.... that's legit. Now, you cannot get a jersey without it, expect probably those walmart junk jerseys.

I still to this day think that if the NFL stopped making retail player specific jerseys all together, the game used world of NFL jerseys would go through the roof. I think the only authentic thing on an NFl uniform that you can't get is the pants.

--

Lastly, I recall seeing in the early 1990's teams with screened on name and numbers would bunch up sometimes and look cheap. I assume the NFL likes the more polished and corporate look to the overall uniforms. But screened on went up a lot in my book just from seing that 2010 Bucs throwback.

jake33
02-11-2012, 03:35 PM
1996 on the left, 2010 throwback on the right

Blitzmaster
02-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Hey, is that Sapp jersey game worn??? If so, can we see some better pics of it? I have his jersey from 1996(the last year they wore the Orange) and I know they only wore them twice during the regular season. Thanks, Chris.

jake33
02-11-2012, 07:39 PM
the sapp was a blank salesmans sample that was done up as a warren sapp. the guy who did the lettering and numebring used to work for the NFL and had access to match the colors and fonts, so it was dead on.

If you ever want to sell or trade your sapp, let me know

slab0meat
02-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I have a retail authentic orange Alstott from 96, and based on that picture on the left, it definitely looks much more like the one on the left (brighter, along with being sewn on).. I'm not sure if I like screened or sewn better.. I think my opinion varies from team to team and style jersey to style..

Thanks for the history info.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6017/5976745094_464bbb9f5a.jpg

Blitzmaster
02-11-2012, 08:44 PM
here is pics of My Sapp. I have only been able to find one photo of him wearing it. It is pictured on a 2011 Leaf football card.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/418954_3325508866473_1530946506_3317394_1417010750 _n.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/427345_3325509706494_1530946506_3317395_1539594946 _n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427584_3325510386511_1530946506_3317396_1544307250 _n.jpg
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/424373_3325511426537_1530946506_3317398_1478997931 _n.jpg

slab0meat
02-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Awesome Sapp... sell!

Larry Pelliccioni
02-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Does anyone have a Tampa Bay Buccaneer gamer with the Mr. C. memorial on it? How tough are those to find?
Larry Pelliccioni

jake33
02-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Larry, I saw on ebay back in 2002-03 a guyu who had 3 "Mr. C" bucs jerseys. One was Tyji Armstrong, the other John Lynch, and the other, maybe horace copeland. The odd thing about the "Mr. C" thing was that Culverhouse was not dead at the time the team put that on their jerseys. Also, most people within the organization did not like him, including his wife Gay, who was president.

Actually, in 1996 the Bucs wore orange for only 1 regular season game vs. Arizona.

commando
02-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Suprisingly, he said the team did not have an original sample of the 1976 orange Bucs jerseys to send for color matching to the manufacturer.

With the desire to get the orange of the uniforms correct, it seems like the team did find SOME old orange jerseys for reference. Mr. Glazer did not get into detail, btu said "Back then, quality control was not what it is today." This lead me to believe the orange had variations over the years. Glazer went on to state that the team located an original orange 1976 bucs jersey throw a person on craigslist. That person had a saleman's sample from a relative of a mint issued 1976 Bucs jersey. The team purchased that exact jersey and used it for color matching. Interesting story if that is true.

I believe the following is an original prototype, salesman sample or expansion draft jersey. We know it is from 1976 because of the "American Football Conference" tagging. The "R PERRY" is screened directly on the back without a nameplate, which is one reason I believe this is one of the earliest Bucs jerseys provided to the team. This could possibly be a jersey made for the expansion draft, in case the Bucs were able to acquire Rams defensive back Rod Perry (who played very little during his rookie season in 1975). It could also be a random name because no players were signed at the time this jersey was created.

Regardless, it's a very cool item that is drop-dead gorgeous!

34swtns
02-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Please pardon my skepticism but know that it comes from experience.
I believe that what you have in the PERRY jersey is simply a customized retail authentic.

I have owned many of these Sand-Knit jerseys with the "Tailored Esclusively...." tagging and the skinny shoulder numbers and they were all retail authentics. These were made in the late 70's before teams were allowed to put players' names on the back, hence the lack of a nameplate.
Also, even in their earliest incarnations with Sand-Knit and Wilson the Bucs' gamers were always double-thickness at the shoulders. Retail jerseys were always single-thickness like this one.
I also notice that the "vinyl" material used for the numbers is different than that used for the lettering of the name. This would tend to indicate the subsequent customization as being from a separate entity than the original manufacturer.
I live in Tampa and it's not unusual to see several examples of these old retail jerseys that have been customized at any Bucs game. They're not incredibly common but I've seen enough of them to know one when I see it.
Regardless, it's an interesting old piece and worthy of admiration.

34swtns
02-18-2012, 06:55 PM
As an addendum to my previous post, I will say that nobody would love for me to be proven wrong more than me.
If you have any information as to the provenance of the jersey that would contradict my opinion, please share it.
In my last post I also neglected to mention the extra sleeve length below the stripes. A characteristic found on the aforementioned retail jerseys.
As I said before, the old Sand-Knit retail Bucs jerseys can still be foun
d down here walking around at the games and occasionally hanging on a rack in thrift stores and they generally look just like this one.

commando
02-18-2012, 09:51 PM
I appreciate the insight, as I am not a collector of Bucs jerseys. I know that memorabilia from the inaugural year is pretty tough to come by, and anything I know about this is from the opinions of other collectors.

sixburgh
10-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Can anyone tell me what the Bucs wore on field during the '85 & '86 seasons? I an interested in Steve Young specifically. I can't find an example of an '85 gamer anywhere.

Thanks

jake33
10-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Not positive, but believe it was Wilson in 85 and 86. Then in 1987 or 1988 they went to Russell