PDA

View Full Version : '77 Gamble Sz 38

35th&Shields
02-12-2012, 11:41 AM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=14693&highlight=oscar+gamble

Originally I was going to post a reply on the thread listed above, but It was in the Items Wanted section. I wanted to comment on the issue regarding the Sz 38 Gamble. I just picked up my first '77 South Side Hitmen jersey which is a sz 38 Gamble. There is also some video I was looking at that could possibly be the jersey I own. The video posted below is a game against Texas August 4th. I was able to come up with that by taking a look at the final scores of the other two games shown on the broadcast. Detroit at Minnesota and Toronto at Kansas. Whats Nice about the video is that it shows a few White Sox players in action. After comparing jersey sizes and body sizes and overall fit of this style of jersey on all these players. I feel 110% confident that Gamble did wear a Sz 38 with the White Sox. Not just to start the season either. After playing and pausing the footage I think this is the same jersey based on by the fit on Gamble and the letter and number spacing. I was looking at the fit of Zisk and Soderholm and they have at least 20lbs or more on Gamble and ther jerseys seem to be looser on them than Gambles sz 38. If Soderholm wears a Sz42 and Gamble a sz42 as well. You would think that the jersey would be just as loose on gamble if not more than Soderholm. Same goes for Zisk. The jersey I own as well shows lots of seson long use with pine tar on the shoulder, staining (grass, dirt and Sweat) team repairs on the letters and numbers from where the jersey was ripping apart. Shows no signs of being recycled from the minors either witha name plate being attached on front of the front and back. Either way I luv my newest pick up and wanted to share what I have found and get some opinions weather good or bad. Thanks!

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/#videoclip-3476

salukidave
02-12-2012, 01:11 PM
I think your jersey is legit. I have a Gamble away jersey without the 1977 flag tag in the collar that's a size 38. I also have a Zisk home jersey with the 1977 flag tag in the collar that's a size 46.

If I remember correctly, I bought a big auction lot from Mastro that contained dozens of Sox items, including Gamble home and away jerseys that were both size 38. I sold virtually everything in the lot except the Gamble away jersey. I actually wound up making a little money AND I had a Gamble away jersey. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the Gamble home jersey I sold did have the 1977 flag tag. I kept the away one since I already had a home one in the Zisk and I didn't have any doubt about the authenticy of either of the Gambles.

salukidave
02-12-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm guessing that your Gamble jersey is the one I sold. It wasn't autographed at the time. In any case, congratulations on your purchase! It's a Holy Grail piece for Sox collectors.

salukidave
02-12-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm guessing that your Gamble jersey is the one I sold. It wasn't autographed at the time. In any case, congratulations on your purchase! It's a Holy Grail piece for Sox collectors.

sox83cubs84
02-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Fantastic piece of the South Side Hit Men. I owned that jersey 25-30 years ago.

Dave Miedema

35th&Shields
02-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks Everybody! for the positive comments and support. Yes! Definitley a Holy Grail piece to us Sox collectors. The pics posted do not give this South Side Hitmen jersey justice. A very solid piece with a lot of history to it.

karamaxjoe
02-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Great pickup! I'm still a little perplexed with the size, but you definetly can't discount the possibility he ordered that. Everything from the flag tag to the puckering around the letters and numbers makes it a great Rawlings jersey from 1977.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think the home whites are the nicest jerseys from that era. You haters can all drop dead!:D These jerseys blend an old classic font with bizarre collars and a cool hang out style.

If you guys have any home whites from that team, I'd like to see them. I'll start with mine.

35th&Shields
02-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Mike, That Soderholm is to Sweet! I strongly believe the video posted above is the jersey you have. Not to many can say they have a solid match like that. Nice!

TNTtoys
02-14-2012, 10:07 AM
If you guys have any home whites from that team, I'd like to see them. I'll start with mine.

Mike,

I have an Alan Bannister and I will post photos when I can.

Nick

sox83cubs84
02-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Mike: LOVE the Soderholm. He really came through that year for the Hit Men after Minnesota basically gave up on him.

Dave Miedema