PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Wanted

cohibasmoker
02-15-2012, 05:22 AM
So, I get this jersey and it looks terrific. I immediately noticed just how little wear there is on the jersey, the unique sleeve numbers and the custom hemmed sleeve ends. As I always do, I took it outside and under natural light, I noticed that there is an outline of a removed NFL 50th patch from the sleeve and on the back of the jersey, there are a couple of red stains. So I reach out for a couple of friends and one day I get a link to a video with directions to stop the video are 38.53.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=missing+rings+1969+vikings

So, why the thread?

If you guys/gals get a chance, follow the link and stop the video at 38.53 and let me know your opinions. While watching the movie, take note of the the shortened sleeve-ends, unique number font vs the font shown on the other three (3) players and just how clean the #27 jersey is.

As a FYI, the Vikings moved the NFL 50th Anniversary patch from the sleeve and re-attached them to the shoulder of their jerseys for the Super Bowl. And for the big game, there were several painted red sections on the field including one section that featured a large painted red Chiefs helmet logo.

My stance is, when you look at the unique features of my jersey – patch removal and replacement on the shoulder, custom sleeves-end, unique number fonts and red stains on the back then compare my jersey to the jersey shown in the video and add-in the facts the Vikings moved the NFL patch from the sleeve to the shoulder and red painted sections of the field, I believe that there is a strong possibility that the jersey was worn in the SB.

I do have a vested interest in the jersey so my opinion does NOT count.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

genius
02-15-2012, 09:44 AM
I took a pretty good look and if it was being listed somewhere as a Super Bowl IV game worn jersey with this kind of backup evidence, I wouldn't question it. Great research and fantastic pickup!

G1X
02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Hi Larry,

If you have a moment, please post photos of the tail tags. I'm especially interested in seeing the sporting goods company tag.

Thanks!

Mark Hayne
gixc@verizon.net

both-teams-played-hard
02-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Jim,
Sweet jersey! I'll bet your research was a lot of fun , also.

If you have a moment, please post photos of the tail tags. I'm especially interested in seeing the sporting goods company tag.

I bet it's Gopher Sporting Goods.

cohibasmoker
02-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Here are the tags - research has revealed some very interesting information - more to follow. Thanks guys.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

G1X
02-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the photos. I have a Vikings with the NFL 50th patch, but it has the Kokesh tag (see photo). However, the others I have seen all have the Gopher tag.

Not sure what to make of mine. Has anyone else ever seen a '69 Vikings with Kokesh tag?

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys.

lon lewis
02-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Mark, I believe that you and I discussed this very thing a few years ago. I have seen over 20 of these knits over the years w/ the 50th patch or evidence of one being on there and both sporting goods companies are represented. In my experience the ratio is about 60/40 for Gopher.

G1X
02-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Lon,

Thanks for the reminder of our discussion.

I addressed my friend Jim as "Larry" in an earlier post in this thread, and then I forgot about our discussion until you mentioned it again. I'll start to get really worried about myself if I wake up tomorrow morning and can't remember where I put my car keys :)

Thanks again!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

cohibasmoker
02-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Lon,

I addressed my friend Jim as "Larry" in an earlier post in this thread, and then I forgot about our discussion until you mentioned it again. I'll start to get really worried about myself if I wake up tomorrow morning and can't remember where I put my car keys :)

Thanks again!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Mark,

You have called me worse names (LOL). FYI - I traded you the Redskins durene jersey and a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black for your car - you don't remember?

G1X
02-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Mark,

You have called me worse names (LOL). FYI - I traded you the Redskins durene jersey and a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black for your car - you don't remember?

Ah, so that's the reason I couldn't find my car keys this morning!

NEFAN
02-22-2012, 01:06 PM
[quote=G1X;285249]Lon,

I addressed my friend Jim as "Larry" in an earlier post in this thread, and then I forgot about our discussion until you mentioned it again. I'll start to get really worried about myself if I wake up tomorrow morning and can't remember where I put my car keys :) quote]

They have labeled that disease as CRS (Can't Remember S*#T)

cohibasmoker
02-28-2012, 08:25 AM
As the research continues, I found a nice scan of Bob Grim from 1969. As we can see from the game scan, the sleeves have been shortened and the NFL 50th Anniversary patch is on the sleeve. For the Super Bowl, the Vikings removed the patches from the sleeves and re-positioned them to the shoulder.

I had an extra NFL 50th Anniversary patch so I positioned it (I DID NOT SEW IT ON) over the outline of the removed patch - you guys decide.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

cohibasmoker
03-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Just found a scan of Bob Grim wearing a white jersey in 1970. Notice the sleeve font is different (thinner) than the sleeve font in his 1969 jersey.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net