PDA

View Full Version : Best flip you ever did

obpercent1
02-16-2012, 07:12 PM
I know there has been some debate about flipping an item you get on the board but just wanted to throw the topic out there. Best I ever did was pull a Joba Chamberlain chrome gold autographed refactor # 20/50 out of a box I bought at a show back in 2008- got the entire box for $85 at a show pulled it in the parking lot went back into the show dealer offered me $120 for it I said no( knew he was lowballing me), put it on the bay and sold it for $900- which I turned into some more game used items for my collection.

yanks12025
02-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Several years ago I bought a bat off ebay thinking it was a team issued bat. Well turned out the seller listed the wrong length. So the bat I had was a game issued bat to a hall of fame player. Sold it for ALOT more then I paid.

Back in 2004 before I was into collecting baseball stuff. My father and I bought a lot of 3 vintage bats at a local auction for $45. Well one turned out to be a Larry Berra (before Yogi) game used bat from either 1951/52. Sold it years ago for $1,500, which I feel I got taken advantage of by one of the top people in the hobby cause I didn't know what I had. I've seen only acouple and they've been listed for over 10K.

frikativ54
02-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Sold it years ago for $1,500, which I feel I got taken advantage of by one of the top people in the hobby cause I didn't know what I had. I've seen only acouple and they've been listed for over 10K.

Sorry to hear that. Some of the guys who are "the top people in the hobby" get there through less than ethical means. I've had firsthand experience with guys like that, and it's a shame that there are so many of them out there.

-Frik

Skizzick
02-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Across the field of sports collectables, the best flip I ever had was a Ryan Howard Bowman's Best autograph rookie card. I bought it short after his call up in 2004 for $50, and sold it during his MVP season for $780! Somewhere, there is a guy kicking himself for paying that much, but I was pretty happy about it.

otismalibu
02-17-2012, 07:37 AM
This one is looking pretty good.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/national-treasures-lin-prime-patch-auto-could-be-ultimate-game-of-flip/

commando
02-17-2012, 12:07 PM
The author of the article states how much Lin rookie card prices have shot up this past week (up to 8000% on certain cards), and how the media has brought Lin cards to the attention of anyone who has functional eyes or ears, then goes on to say, "Even if he comes back to earth and turns into an ordinary NBA player, his popularity would seem to indicate that's not the worst risk a rookie card collector could take."

What?.... Huh? If he's talking about monetary risk, I wonder how long he's been a card collector. To even imply that the train hasn't already left that station is ridiculous. At least half of you reading this have been serious card collectors in the past. What do you think?

Jags Fan Dan
02-17-2012, 02:51 PM
The author of the article states how much Lin rookie card prices have shot up this past week (up to 8000% on certain cards), and how the media has brought Lin cards to the attention of anyone who has functional eyes or ears, then goes on to say, "Even if he comes back to earth and turns into an ordinary NBA player, his popularity would seem to indicate that's not the worst risk a rookie card collector could take."

What?.... Huh? If he's talking about monetary risk, I wonder how long he's been a card collector. To even imply that the train hasn't already left that station is ridiculous. At least half of you reading this have been serious card collectors in the past. What do you think?
Yes, I was a serious card collector for a long time, and I agree with you fully. If he thinks this thing isn't going to crash hard in the near future, he is crazy. Somebody do a bar graph of the value of McGwires 1985 Topps rookie from year to year from 1985 until now. You will see the ups, downs, ups, downs of card values.

sox83cubs84
02-17-2012, 04:03 PM
The Red Sox 1973 road Orlando Cepeda jersey that has appeared in a few auctions over the years was sold to me many years ago by a delaer who claimed it was a "Rick Burleson jersey signed by Orlando Cepeda". Burleson was issued #25 in spring training, but was not a size 44 (as Cepeda was). Obtained at $150 trade value; sold for $600. I'm satisfied.

Dave Miedema

3arod13
02-18-2012, 05:11 AM
Bought this 1986 Michael Jordan Rookie (autographed) on ebay a few years ago. It wasn't authenticated, but I knew the signature was good. Paid $650 for it; sent to PSA for authentication; sold to Justin Priddy for $4,000!

coxfan
02-18-2012, 08:38 AM
The best "flip" for me is one I'll never do, but my heirs might. In 1962 I paid one cent for a Roger Maris Topps card, with his 61 HR's. I'll never sell it, but it's in near-perfect shape. So I've advised my wife and daughters it's worth a bit more than one cent on today's market.

xmartyx
02-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Buddy of mine bought a 1/1 Stephan Strasburg bowman for $1400 and flipped it the day after he made his debut for $4000. Bet that guy feels like an idiot.

cjw
02-18-2012, 10:52 AM
1960's Max McGee game worn Packers jersey - bought in a used clothing store for $26. Sold in auction for $7,500. I wish I could do that every week!

sylbry
02-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Bought this 1986 Michael Jordan Rookie (autographed) on ebay a few years ago. It wasn't authenticated, but I knew the signature was good. Paid $650 for it; sent to PSA for authentication; sold to Justin Priddy for $4,000!

Perhaps that is why he has become the forger's best friend. Got to pay for high end legit autos somehow. Justin Priddy = scumbag. Great flip though.