PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider a "BP" bat to be "Game Used"?

TReinman
02-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Hi, like the title says, I have the opportunity to buy a bat that has what looks like "BP" written on the knob. I'm assuming that's his Batting Practice bat. But I'm a little hung up on the concept of "Is it Game Used?"

It's definitely used by him, and the BP does kind of look like it was written, or squeezed in, under the number. Like written later... Perhaps it was a gamer that he kept for BP?

Should I not let it bother me?

Anyway, I thought I'd post here and see what other collectors thought. Thanks!

-- Tim

CampWest
02-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Usually bats with BP, looks like it was added after their normal notations. Just because its crammed on doesnt make me think the bat wasnt always designated for BP only.

Maybe depends on the player a bit... Some players I have heard say they use the same bat in BP as in games. Others have game bats and BP bats. Some use entirely different models and even different brands in BP vs games.

I've heard a couple players from the 80s tell stories that they'd get 12 bats in each order and they'd immediately sort the bats based on quality of wood, feel in their hands, etc. Some bats they'd love and save for games, some bats were not as good and they'd use for BP, sometimes a bat was off in length, weight, grain or just didnt feel right and they had no interest in using it and either loaned to a teammate or gave it away as a gift.

I would add that I have never seen a bat marked "BP" sell for the same price as what appears to be a gamer. So it should concern you from a pricing perspective. It should be at a substantial discount. Also if you ever went to resell it, it will make it tougher to sell.

How much it bothers you is up to you. A BP bat of George Brett for example, I would find unlikely to have been game used. I'd pay maybe 500-600 at most for his BP bat if it had great characteristics, whereas probable gamers would start at $1200 and go up to $4000 for the best samples with great provenance. While unused GI bats I've seen in the 250-400 range.

Bottom line for me is that for a guy to mark BP on his bat, he was indicating he didnt want to use it in a game because for whatever reason he did not think it was game worthy. That to me should detract from its appeal, but doesn't necessarily mean its firewood.

TReinman
02-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Hmm, thanks Wes. That's a great description. And...rats, I'm thinking I should hood off on it, unless he comes way down on his price.

Thanks for the reply!

-- Tim

spartanservitto
02-25-2012, 11:32 AM
I have an Avila rookie gamer with "bp" on the knob , I was going through the dilemma on how to have him sign it. Do I have him put "2009 rookie gamer" or "2009 rookie batting practice gamer". Either way I'm keeping it but I do not want to be deceitful on the bat.

-Tony

yankees506
02-25-2012, 04:22 PM
I have a 2010 cano bp bat that he signed as "game used" for me I consider any bat a player uses in a game/game prep as game used. How many gamers see bp use? Id say quite a few, just imagne how many ab's a bat would have to survive to be "hammered with use". If your player used it and its discounted a bit becase it was a bp only bat id say go for it.

gorilla777
02-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Batting practice does not equal game used at all and as Wes points out, the market value/demand essentially bears it out player by player.
You are better off saving up and getting a Gamer....

obpercent1
02-25-2012, 06:04 PM
I also have know several players who have their gamers retired to BP bats that might have some slight deadwood or other nicks on them- they still love to use the bats and tape them up and continue to use them as long as possible

EricTheRed44
02-25-2012, 07:31 PM
I have one BP bat in my Davis collection (that I know of). I think its somewhat cool to have and it did cost me less than my other bats, but I wouldnt want a collection of 50 Eric Davis bats with none of them seeing real game use.

Like someone said, a lot of the gamers are retired to BP, the bat that I have was taped up (removed before they sold it at Orioles fest so you could see his name) , the tape covered a big split in the bat, so it could have been a gamer before being taped. I wouldnt classify a BP bat as game used, I'd classify it as a BP bat and that alone.