PDA

View Full Version : Tips for storing/protecting game used baseballs?

yankees24
02-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Want to get some feedback on how members here store/protect their game used baseballs? Should they be handled the same way as autographed baseballs (by the seams) or are they less likely to develop oil spots since they have already been rubbed down with Blackburne mud?

coxfan
02-27-2012, 08:45 PM
The g-u balls I've gotten straight from the field vary a lot in appearance, partly because of various stains from players' hands, dirt (infield or outfield), grass stains (that tend to darken over time), etc. The light mudding doesn't over up these additional things.

Thus, any personal handling is likely to show on the ball, though probably not that much and less prominently than on new white balls. I usually keep my most significant ones in cubes for the most part.

marino13
02-29-2012, 09:13 PM
I have all my game used baseballs in UV protected cases - if they were to be displayed.

But most of them, they are still in the Rawlings boxes with divider and they all sitting in a cool corner somewhere in the basement - along with the paperwork of course!

:D

jake33
03-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I am in the process of making a video of all the authenticated game used baseballs that I have. I have all these in UV single ball cases

2009 WBC
2007 futures game
2008 world series
2009 HRD out #10 gold bsaeball of carlos pena
2011 all star game

yankees24
03-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks, are these cases you are referring to the Ultra Pro or Ball Qube brands you can purchase at a hobby collector store, or the more expensive museum quality type cases?

David
03-01-2012, 01:54 PM
I would imagine most ball cubes these days have uv protection, but either way will say when you purchase.

It's also important to limit unnecessary light. For example, don't let them sit in light when you're not even there. If you're going to be gone for the weekend, pull the shades and turn out the lights.

David
03-01-2012, 01:56 PM
I should add that baseballs are funny things. After all they're literally made out of animal hyde, and it's hard to predict how they'll age-- even when kept in the original box in a closet.

David
03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Other things include:

Limiting excessive humidity. By that at I mean excessive.

Incandescent lights (old time bulbous kind) give off less UV light than fluorescent.

Different UV films offer different quality of protection. In particular, there is a spectrum of UV light one can protect from

But, really, if you have UV holders and limit the excessive light as I mentioned before, I would say that's 90% of the battle.

David
03-01-2012, 02:27 PM
One thing I will add is I don't think temperature itself is a big concern-- as long as it's not excessively excessive. As a kid I had my baseball cards and such stored in a Wisconsin bedroom closet next to the garage-- e.g., many frigid nights-- and there was no damage, even to the paper items.

yankees24
03-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Thank you David. So the UV issue seems to be solved, is acid also a problem (sorry, this is coming from a comic book collector and we know how harmful that is on collections). You also mentioned temperature, has anyone had game used baseballs where the leather cracked because of temperature issues?

David
03-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Many cubes are designed to be acid and PVC free.

I'd worry about extreme temperatures. I don't know know where you are, but I live in place that doesn't get extreme temperatures.

David
03-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Stuff like grease and dust from the air over time can cause damage-- so the holder also works as a protectant against that.