PDA

View Full Version : Just can't do it!

jetersbatboy
02-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Ok last night I had a discussion with a buddy of mine, he's a really die hard Giants fan. So he comes over wearing a Posey jersey, so I start jab'n him about a man crush on Posey. So he starts going off on how I collect smelly jocks of baseball players, un-like some on this forum I don't own one!:D Well it got me thinking, I have never worn a jersey of any kind that didn't have my name on it. I just can't bring myself to wear another mans name on my back, does any others feel this way? I know I'm going to be in the minority with this one. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I just can't do it!:D

godwulf
02-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Wearing a replica jersey of a favorite player is such a common thing now, I don't think I've ever met anyone in real life who had a problem with it.

If anything, I find it less odd than getting a team jersey made with your own name on the back.

Both things are okay, but I mean at least when you're wearing your favorite player's jersey, you're advertising that you're his fan; what does putting your own name on your jersey say? I'm pretending to be a player, like a little kid? I'm so important, I think everyone needs to know what my last name is?

Again, I'm not putting down people who do it - it's fine. I'm just suggesting that you can nit-pick anything if you really want to.

godwulf
02-29-2012, 08:54 AM
On the other hand, anyone who wears a Tim Lincecum jersey is a serious closet case.

commando
02-29-2012, 12:56 PM
On the other hand, anyone who wears a Tim Lincecum jersey is a serious closet case.

Or grows a Brian Wilson beard. Yeeeeccch.

Shipp_96
02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Wearing a replica jersey of a favorite player is such a common thing now, I don't think I've ever met anyone in real life who had a problem with it.

If anything, I find it less odd than getting a team jersey made with your own name on the back.

Both things are okay, but I mean at least when you're wearing your favorite player's jersey, you're advertising that you're his fan; what does putting your own name on your jersey say? I'm pretending to be a player, like a little kid? I'm so important, I think everyone needs to know what my last name is?

Again, I'm not putting down people who do it - it's fine. I'm just suggesting that you can nit-pick anything if you really want to.

I'm with you on this one. My friends and I used to chuckle at guys that had their own name on an expensive authentic jersey at games :p.

In the past I had an authentic jersey for every day of the week of my favorite players. But as I got older I quit wearing them all together. I still have two left in my closet, in plastic that for whatever reason I can't bring myself to sell. Even though I am positive I will never wear them again.

But if you're younger and a fan, I mean I see no issue with it. Heck, even if you're older and it makes you happy, God speed :rolleyes:.

sox83cubs84
02-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Another tack on wearing a jersey with a name on back.

In 2004 (and beyond), several White Sox fans, a bunch that hate the crosstown Cubs to borderline psychotic levels in most instances, though it would be cute to "stick it" to Cubs fans by buying Marlins jerseys and having them customized with a name and number on back of "BARTMAN 03":eek:

Of course, these type of Sox fans are the same ones who chided me for wearing an Expos jerey of a player friend to a late 1990s game becuase "Montreal isn't in this state".:rolleyes:

We've got good White Sox fans/people on this site, but there are a lot of others who need therapy regarding thier blind hatred of the Cubs.

Dave Miedema

EricTheRed44
02-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Its ok to wear a jersey if... the player is older than you are.
This means at some point you'd only be wearing throwbacks, but I cant bring myself to go out and buy a jersey of a guy who's younger than me. That might not make any sense, but I just cant do it.

jetersbatboy
02-29-2012, 11:00 PM
This means at some point you'd only be wearing throwbacks, but I cant bring myself to go out and buy a jersey of a guy who's younger than me. That might not make any sense, but I just cant do it.

I kind of agree with this!

Both things are okay, but I mean at least when you're wearing your favorite player's jersey, you're advertising that you're his fan; what does putting your own name on your jersey say? I'm pretending to be a player, like a little kid?

By no means did I ever have a replica of my favriote team, made up with my name on it. Tell the truth, I dont think I ever wore a replica jersey, maybe a few tee shirts with the NY logo on it. I'm talking my NOB high school, LL, AAU, Pony jerseys. But I do understand the point.

coxfan
03-01-2012, 07:42 AM
These "replica" discussions remind me of something that happened to me. Here in Columbia, SC, Ray Tanner is quite a famous fellow, since he's one of the top college baseball coaches in the US. ( He's been National Coach of the Year two times.) His SC gamecocks are the two-time defending National Champions, and he's taken three other teams to the College World Series including a number two and number three national finish, all since 2002. Crowds at our college baseball games average over 7,000.

Anyway, I was sitting at a women's basketball game in January 2010, and I was wearing a garnet gamecock jacket with Ray Tanner's name on the back. (It had been bought to support his charitable foundation). Then I heard a small child ask: "Mama, why is Daddy's name on that man's jacket?" I then realized that Coach Tanner was sitting right behind me, with his wife and three small kids!

Coach Tanner went on to win both the 2010 and 2011 National Championships, so I'm sure his child is now used to seeing daddy's name lots of places.

1975redsox
03-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Wearing another man's (player) on your back is almost as bad as having another man's name as your username! :D

metsbats
03-07-2012, 09:05 PM
I have to say I have several jerseys with my last name on them. However I play baseball at tournaments and camps which require participants to wear uniforms. At many of these camps guys wear jerseys from their favorite teams and many have their own NOB. Plus it makes it easier for the team manager to know who you are during these tournaments.

I never wear them to Citi Field or anywhere else and don't own a jersey with another man's name on it to wear either. Not that there's anything wrong with that:)

Skizzick
03-08-2012, 08:39 AM
I agree 100%. I also think that if you are going to wear the jersey of a guy on your favorite team, he needs to actually be on the team for at least two seasons (unless he is already a future Hall of Famer like Roy Halladay joining the Phillies). You don't know how much it annoyed me when I'd see Phillies fans wearing Hunter Pence jerseys a week after he joined the team or Nationals fans wearing Harper and Strasberg jerseys before they were even called up. Still, I have Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, and 76ers jerseys with my last name on the back (all of which I bought the blanks and custom ordered letters and specialty patches) because that is the ultimate display of your dedication. You really are the 12th (or 6th, 7th or 10th). Plus, it shows that you actually took the time to specially order your jersey, rather than stop at the pro shop or Target to pick up a random player's jersey.

godwulf
03-08-2012, 09:09 AM
In 2004 (and beyond), several White Sox fans, a bunch that hate the crosstown Cubs to borderline psychotic levels in most instances, though it would be cute to "stick it" to Cubs fans by buying Marlins jerseys and having them customized with a name and number on back of "BARTMAN 03"

This reminded me of something. I haven't seen him in awhile, but up until a few years ago, there was a guy who'd come to Chase Field, whenever L.A. was in town, wearing a Diamondbacks jersey with "DODGERS SUCK" nicely embroidered on the back. :D

otismalibu
03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Rex Ryan wears this one around the house.
Only kidding. They don't make a 5XL.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/Pick6.jpg