PDA

View Full Version : 1988/1989 Port Charlotte Rangers Jerseys and Tagging

commando
03-06-2012, 02:35 AM
I was able to pick up a nice group of fourteen jerseys worn by the Port Charlotte Rangers in 1988 and 1989. This was a Single-A ball club for the Texas Rangers at the time, and several young future Major Leaguers played with the team during that time (Juan Gonzalez, Dean Palmer, Kenny Rogers, Sammy Sosa, Wilson Alvarez and Rey Sanchez are the better-known ones).

It is interesting to note that the jerseys have been tagged one of three methods, with all three being in the front tail... One method is the red Rawlings tag that was phased out right around the 1987/88 time frame. Jerseys that feature the red tag also have a small "Rawlings" logo patch on the bottom of the left sleeve. The second method is the newer Rawlings white tag that has the MLB logo, and the third method adds a small 1988 year and Set 1 flag sewn on the left side of the same-style white tag.

I'll have to continue researching who wore the shirts. As far as Major Leaguers go, I know I have Dean Palmer's number 5 (size 46), Tony Scruggs' number 31 (size 48), Wayne Rosenthal's number 34 (size 44) and possibly Wilson Alvarez' number 6 (size 42, he wore the number on a baseball card). More info to follow...

sox83cubs84
03-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I was able to pick up a nice group of fourteen jerseys worn by the Port Charlotte Rangers in 1988 and 1989. This was a Single-A ball club for the Texas Rangers at the time, and several young future Major Leaguers played with the team during that time (Juan Gonzalez, Dean Palmer, Kenny Rogers, Sammy Sosa, Wilson Alvarez and Rey Sanchez are the better-known ones).

It is interesting to note that the jerseys have been tagged one of three methods, with all three being in the front tail... One method is the red Rawlings tag that was phased out right around the 1987/88 time frame. Jerseys that feature the red tag also have a small "Rawlings" logo patch on the bottom of the left sleeve. The second method is the newer Rawlings white tag that has the MLB logo, and the third method adds a small 1988 year and Set 1 flag sewn on the left side of the same-style white tag.

I'll have to continue researching who wore the shirts. As far as Major Leaguers go, I know I have Dean Palmer's number 5 (size 46), Tony Scruggs' number 31 (size 48), Wayne Rosenthal's number 34 (size 44) and possibly Wilson Alvarez' number 6 (size 42, he wore the number on a baseball card). More info to follow...

Anthony:

I'm not sure if he's the person you got them from, but Tony Socci (Socci's Sports Den in Port Charlotte FL) knows this niche better than anyone. He would be helpful.

Dave Miedema

MUSEOVEN
03-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Hello are you gonna sell the Wilson Álvarez jersey? Please let me know thanks

commando
03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Hello are you gonna sell the Wilson Álvarez jersey? Please let me know thanks

Hi! I'd be very happy to sell the jersey to you. I am researching to make sure he wore the number 6 in a game... He wore the number on a baseball card, but I am trying to double-check the rosters.

Talk to you soon!

MUSEOVEN
03-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Hi! I'd be very happy to sell the jersey to you. I am researching to make sure he wore the number 6 in a game... He wore the number on a baseball card, but I am trying to double-check the rosters.

Talk to you soon!