PDA

View Full Version : Gamer VS. Card

project 4
03-06-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm sure there are card collectors here and just wanted to know if you had a choice to have a "regular" non auto (no commemorative/special patch) gamer vs. the holy grail Rookie Card (ie. 1/1 auto'd, logo, game used material, the whole enchilada) of your favorite player which would you take?

For example:

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/br1ju04/Exquisite%20Collection/Adrian%20Peterson/AdrianPeterson2007SPAuthenticMaster.jpg

VS.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/br1ju/peterson-1.jpg

halzeus
03-06-2012, 11:14 AM
I think it's a shame that jerseys are cut up for cards.

gadsden86
03-06-2012, 01:50 PM
I think it's a shame that jerseys are cut up for cards.

Agreed.
Also after seeing how many jerseys cards now adays are also "event worn" I will pass on jersey cards even w/ sick patches most of the time now. Unless i can get them super cheep for my pc.

sox83cubs84
03-06-2012, 03:46 PM
The card companies have destroyed far too many items from our part of the hobby...I challenge the manufacturers to purchase and cut up a rare card (Wagner T206) or a Goudey Lajoie. If the card companies want to cannibalize items for the almighty dollar, let them obtain items from their collecting niche and stay out of ours!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dave Miedema

project 4
03-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Wow. Had no idea there were such strong feelings towards cards on this forum. I've been collecting cards since around 2005 and just recently switched gears to gamers. Although I'll admit gamers are more nicer to own, cards will always have a place in my heart.

Preston
03-07-2012, 09:41 AM
I collect some cards, but ANY card in my collection (and I've got good ones - Jordan autos, HOF autos in the three major sports) would be available for a game worn item I really wanted.

frikativ54
03-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Wow. Had no idea there were such strong feelings towards cards on this forum. I've been collecting cards since around 2005 and just recently switched gears to gamers. Although I'll admit gamers are more nicer to own, cards will always have a place in my heart.

Cards and gamers can coexist. I don't do too much heavy card collecting anymore since Bagwell retired, but, to me, the occasional cut-up gamer doesn't bother me. Especially with the way that teams have so many sets of jerseys now. Some of the game used cards are very beautiful; I will never sell my two Bagwell Exquisite 1/1s and would rather have them than an insignificant, no special patch gamer.

http://bagwellgameused.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jbagsexquisite1.jpg?w=468&h=290

http://bagwellgameused.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jbagsexquisite2.jpg?w=468&h=294

Right now, I limit my Bagwell card collection to Donruss Recollection Collection signatures or to very rare, high BGS graded cards.

I do get upset if a significant game used jersey is cut up, which is why I was unhappy with the chopping up of All-Star Futures jerseys. And I wouldn't like if an authentic Babe Ruth gamer were given the axe. But as for modern players' less significant jerseys, I couldn't care less, as long as it makes the cards' owners happy.

project 4
03-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Cards and gamers can coexist. I don't do too much heavy card collecting anymore since Bagwell retired, but, to me, the occasional cut-up gamer doesn't bother me. Especially with the way that teams have so many sets of jerseys now. Some of the game used cards are very beautiful; I will never sell my two Bagwell Exquisite 1/1s and would rather have them than an insignificant, no special patch gamer.

http://bagwellgameused.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jbagsexquisite1.jpg?w=468&h=290

http://bagwellgameused.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jbagsexquisite2.jpg?w=468&h=294

Right now, I limit my Bagwell card collection to Donruss Recollection Collection signatures or to very rare, high BGS graded cards.

I do get upset if a significant game used jersey is cut up, which is why I was unhappy with the chopping up of All-Star Futures jerseys. And I wouldn't like if an authentic Babe Ruth gamer were given the axe. But as for modern players' less significant jerseys, I couldn't care less, as long as it makes the cards' owners happy.

Those are some very nice looking Bagwells! 1/1 to boot!

kprst6
03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
The card companies have destroyed far too many items from our part of the hobby...I challenge the manufacturers to purchase and cut up a rare card (Wagner T206) or a Goudey Lajoie. If the card companies want to cannibalize items for the almighty dollar, let them obtain items from their collecting niche and stay out of ours!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dave Miedema

Hahaha I thought the same think. Why don't they make a Honus Wagner 1/10 cut up "historic pieces" card. The back could say, the piece of historic card found cut and glued to this card was from an original Honus Wagner that came in a pack of cigarettes back in 1909.

BU54CB
03-09-2012, 01:30 PM
I used to collect cards with a passion, especially patch cards. I then discovered this site and collecting GU jerseys and sold 99.9% of my cards.

I figured why bother with a small piece when I could have the whole thing. Granted the whole jersey is more expensive, but I never displayed my cards and nobody understood the point of cards when I did. I think GU jerseys are much more fun, better displayed, and a better value.

David
03-09-2012, 02:03 PM
My answer is I never was into game patch cards but think autographed cards are neat.

Modern player patch cards are different than vintage ones. There are many 2009 jerseys, some perhaps specifically worn for the card maker, while cutting up a limited Ty Cobb or Mickey Mantle jersey is a horrible thing.

masp3392
03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
I first started out with collecting autograph/game used cards of miami hurricanes players. Hell I have over 350+ auto's/jersey cards of hurricanes past and present (all different) vast amounts of players/levels/parallels ... etc

the minute i started collecting gamers and i started reading about the fraud of card companies and "event worn" gamers i started to question the validity of them. Even some of the patterns of the cards didnt match my actual gamers in the same style/color ...

definitly pefer gamers 99% of the time now unless its something of willis mcgahee i dont have card wise.

Shipp_96
03-09-2012, 02:55 PM
I agree that the auto cards are neat, I personally own three of those. I have one "patch" card and one only, a Jerome Bettis. After reading all the news with these companies I consider it NOT to be a gamer, but I like the card so it does not matter to me.

I got out of really collecting cards in the 90s, and sold all the expensive ones from my childhood to start my autograph collection. Ironically I then sold most of my autos (but I still have quite a few) to start my game worn collection HAHA ;).

Birdbats
03-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Easy... I'd take the 1/1 holy grail card, sell it at peak value, then use the money to buy gamers.

frikativ54
03-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Those are some very nice looking Bagwells! 1/1 to boot!

Thank you. I bought them off eBay when the Exquisite patch cards first came out in early 2007. I love the design so much that I've never seriously entertained the idea of selling them. Maybe they mean a bit less to me since I now have full Bagwell jerseys, but they are still an integral part of my collection.