PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help date Dallas Cowboys pants by Red Fox?

BrianK
03-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Note the use of two different fabrics and colors. There's a player number stitched above the Red Fox label. I'll share the number later, but I'd like to try to date the pants independently first. Thanks for any help.

slats7
03-07-2012, 11:49 PM
From 1971 to the mid 1980s, the Cowboys' pants were always much bluer/darker on the back as opposed to the front. For whatever reason, they couldn't quite coordinate the colors. The pants in your photos were the ones they wore between 1971 and 1973, when they looked kinda charcoal gray. In 1974, they got significantly bluer.

Had no idea Red Fox was a team supplier. Always figured Southland Athletic took care of their uni needs.

both-teams-played-hard
03-08-2012, 02:24 AM
From 1971 to the mid 1980s, the Cowboys' pants were always much bluer/darker on the back as opposed to the front. For whatever reason, they couldn't quite coordinate the colors. The pants in your photos were the ones they wore between 1971 and 1973, when they looked kinda charcoal gray. In 1974, they got significantly bluer.

Had no idea Red Fox was a team supplier. Always figured Southland Athletic took care of their uni needs.
That's some good information, Slats.
Didn't Sand-Knit make some pants for some seasons?

cohibasmoker
03-08-2012, 09:14 AM
I've seen Cowboys and Oilers helmets (I still own the Oilers helmet)that were provided to the teams by a Texas company called "Protective Products" - since Fox was located in Texas, perhaps the Cowboys tried to buy locally? Another thought may be, years ago I spoke to a retired equipment guy for the Eagles and he told me that they got samples from uniform suppliers all the time. The stuff was free and if the item (s) were close enough, they used them. Why throw something away that didn't cost anything?

In the book, "Colors", the author writes that in 1966, Schramm made a uniform change and the pants went from white to silver pants and the silver became almost a aqua tint.

Just some thoughts.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

John in KY
03-08-2012, 10:27 AM

I also never knew of or heard of Red Fox.

Regarding the colors - the Cowboys weren't the only team with this issue; it seems like a lot of teams with yellow pants (Steelers, Chargers, Rams, Packers) had this going on. I think it was because the two different types of fabric faded differently in the wash. I suppose the fabric on the front, which had the pockets for pads, was heavier-duty than the kint on the back.

Now by about 1981/82 we started getting into the metallic fabric, which was first used only on the fronts of the pants; by the middle-late 80s most teams had switched to pants made entirely of the metallic fabric.

slats7
03-08-2012, 11:09 AM
That's some good information, Slats.
Didn't Sand-Knit make some pants for some seasons?

Yes. They definitely wore them in 1977. Here's Dorsett's pants from that season. Again, much bluer in back than the front.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1004/34217191.jpg

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/6771/lf4aay.jpg

slats7
03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I also never knew of or heard of Red Fox.

Regarding the colors - the Cowboys weren't the only team with this issue; it seems like a lot of teams with yellow pants (Steelers, Chargers, Rams, Packers) had this going on. I think it was because the two different types of fabric faded differently in the wash. I suppose the fabric on the front, which had the pockets for pads, was heavier-duty than the kint on the back.

Now by about 1981/82 we started getting into the metallic fabric, which was first used only on the fronts of the pants; by the middle-late 80s most teams had switched to pants made entirely of the metallic fabric.

That's exactly right. Shiny on the front; dull in the back. Kind of a weird look. I wish the Boys would get rid of the shiny spandex forever and go with what the Giants and Niners wear.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1033/5361884.jpg

I've seen Cowboys and Oilers helmets (I still own the Oilers helmet)that were provided to the teams by a Texas company called "Protective Products" - since Fox was located in Texas, perhaps the Cowboys tried to buy locally? Another thought may be, years ago I spoke to a retired equipment guy for the Eagles and he told me that they got samples from uniform suppliers all the time. The stuff was free and if the item (s) were close enough, they used them. Why throw something away that didn't cost anything?

In the book, "Colors", the author writes that in 1966, Schramm made a uniform change and the pants went from white to silver pants and the silver became almost a aqua tint.

The pants changed from white to metallic blue in 1964, not 1966. As I noted earlier, they got significantly grayer/darker between 1971-3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=180805533700&si=oa%252BtHo2N7zrxcDTelVsZNRKCnLg%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/1149/1345890.jpg

BrianK
03-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. My research also showed that the pants changed in 1974. (Bluer and different details.) But I wasn't sure when the style started. If it's 1971-1973 based on the color, I'm happy with that. The player would be Calvin Hill. Slats7 found my purchase in ebay's sold items. Maybe one day I can photomatch the repair on the right leg.

I'm having a hard time finding solid information about the manufacturers of Cowboy pants. I found a page at Mears that says Southland made the jerseys and pants in 1960. Red Fox took over the pants in 1961. Then at some point it was Sand Knit. But I don't know the dates.

slats7
03-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. My research also showed that the pants changed in 1974. (Bluer and different details.) But I wasn't sure when the style started. If it's 1971-1973 based on the color, I'm happy with that. The player would be Calvin Hill. Slats7 found my purchase in ebay's sold items. Maybe one day I can photomatch the repair on the right leg.

I'm having a hard time finding solid information about the manufacturers of Cowboy pants. I found a page at Mears that says Southland made the jerseys and pants in 1960. Red Fox took over the pants in 1961. Then at some point it was Sand Knit. But I don't know the dates.

The eBay seller originally listed the pants as belonging to RB Pete Gent, but since he didn't play for the Cowboys during the years when this style was being worn, I told him that Calvin Hill was the likely owner.

Dali.coll
12-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Very informative. I am hoping that someone can help me out as well. I am currently trying to piece together uniforms from the 70's and 80'era, starting with these two (2) pairs of Dallas Cowboys Vintage pants. Would anyone know what year these pants are from and if so, were they considered home or away? The darker blue pants have #36 in the waistline, I'm guessing it may be Vincent Albritton or possibly Larry Brinson who wore these #'s in the 70's? Would appreciate any input from Knowledgable sources. Again, great articles!
Thanks, Michael

Dali.coll
12-30-2013, 06:18 PM
I wanted to add a few more pic's to my previous post. The pic's below show written numbers and the manufacturer tag within the waistline.

BrianK
12-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Hi Michael. I was also bidding on the #36 pants. My guess based on the tag is Larry Brinson 77-79. GUU member both-teams-played-hard has an excellent Sand Knit tagging guide if you haven't already seen it.
http://www.both-teams-played-hard.com/Sand_Knit.html

Your other pair of pants is very intriguing. What's the tagging on that one?

Regarding, home vs away ... I believe they were one in the same up until 1981 when the navy jersey was introduced along with a true gray color for the pants.

BrianK
12-30-2013, 07:22 PM
To clarify my comment about home vs away ...
The pants were a gray color beginning in 1964. They became more bluish over the years, but there was only one color of pants home and away though 1980. The use of gray pants with navy jerseys and greenish-blue-gray pants with white jerseys began in 1981. Hope this helps.

Dali.coll
12-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Great info and thanks for the Sand Knit link as well. Here is the tag to the second pair.

BrianK
12-31-2013, 01:04 AM
I think we can date the Russell pants fairly precisely. The red, white, and blue Russell tag was introduced in 1983, but the Cowboys had numbers on the side stripes of their pants during the early 1980s. The 'hip numbers' disappeared in 1989. Beginning in 1991, there should be an NFL shield on the front of the pants. So, unless you see evidence of a number patch or a shield, they date to 1989 or 1990.

It looks like they're gray (to go with the blue jerseys), right?

Dali.coll
01-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Yes, all grey in color. I think your right on. Valuable information, thanks!

Dali.coll
02-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Hello,
I'm back once again hoping that one of my friends on Gameuseduniverse can help me with a Dallas Cowboys Jersey. Can anyone provide any info (player, authenticity, year, approx. value,...) on the attached #83 Fitzgerald Jersey? I know he was not a starter after researching rosters. Tag is Southland, numbers and name are screened on, not sewn.
As always, thank you!
dali.coll

Dali.coll
02-18-2014, 02:33 PM
I wanted to add that the sleeves on the Southland jersey are not screened but is within (colors) the jersey itself. Also, from my research, there was no #83 listed on the 1965, 66, 79 and 80 team photos. Wondering if this player did actually exist but just never made it to the line-up? Hope you can help with any info.

slats7
02-18-2014, 03:04 PM
They only wore that style of jersey from 1974-1981. The only Fitzgerald I remember was center John Fitzgerald (#62). WR Golden Richards was the only one I remember wearing #83 during those years.

Dali.coll
02-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks slats7! That helps me narrow down a few rosters. Like you said, John Fitzgerald wore #83 as well as Golden Richards and Clark. Judging on the size of JF, it definitely wasn't his @ 255lbs. My previous guess may be right (79-80) where I did not see a #83 in the line up. This, meaning he may have made the team but was cut before season started. Golden Richards ended his career in Dallas I believe in 1978, next Cowboy photo'd in #83 was Doug Donley in 1981.
In your opinion, the jersey's features look authentic?

slats7
02-18-2014, 04:38 PM
I said that John Fitzgerald wore #62, not #83. It's possible that they had a camp body named Fitzgerald who wore that number in pre-season.

The jersey itself looks authentic.

Dali.coll
02-18-2014, 04:49 PM
I stand corrected, my bad. As always, thanks for valuable info and your opinion of the jersey.

Dali.coll
05-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Hello my Dallas friends. Can someone help me date these pants? Nike stripe with NFL shield.
Thanks!
Dali.coll

slats7
05-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Dallas wore Nike pants and jerseys from 1996 to 2000.

delayjf
03-10-2016, 01:27 PM
The one thing that looks off to me about this Jersey is the name tag. The font and the letter spacing does not seem to match others I've seen. I don't know if it was something they did in pre-season, but the name is pressed onto the Jersey itself and not onto a name tag sewn onto the Jersey.

Attached Images

delayjf
09-25-2020, 04:45 PM
Watching the Cowboy / Atlanta Game on 09/20, do my eyes deceive me or did the cowboys go dump their sea foam green colored pants to more of a sky blue colored pants.