PDA

View Full Version : Two Game Used Eddie Murray LS M275 Bats -- New York Mets

commando
03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
I was able to pick up two hammered Eddie Murray bats from the 1992-93 era. Both are cracked, and one has a five-ring tape job, while the other just has one ring of tape around the knob. Mike Specht gave this info in the forum back in 1996:

Murray's first documented order of M275 bats was shipped on 7/17/89. Thereafter, until his final game on 9/20/97, the models M275, M275L, and M275X became his models of choice. They can be found in a wide variety of finishes, including Flame Treated/Burned, Galen, Hornsby, Black, Hickory, and no finish.

In the brown finishes, 35 inch model M275 Murray bats with a Hornsby Finish were specific to 1991. Hickory Finish was found on M275 Murray bats measuring 35 inches in 1991 and 1992. Hickory Finish on M275 Murray bats measuring 35.5 inches was found in 1993 and 1994.

I guess the question I have is which types of finishes are these two bats? I'm not familiar with the lineup of LS finishes, and any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

commando
03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I appreciate the emails.... You guys are saying that the darker bat is either Hornsby or Galen, while the light one is Flame Treated or Natural Finish.

I think I'm on the right track... Many thanks!

Anthony

policefan71@yahoo.com

MSpecht
03-12-2012, 11:30 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=187

Birdbats
03-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Galen and flame, no doubt. The Galen is consistent with others I've seen from the early '90s -- notice how the finish is darker on the handle to the center brand and then down the sides of the barrel, but lighter on the face of the barrel. It's as if the bat was dipped in the finish and as it ran down, the branded oval diverted the flow, directing it around the oval.

commando
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Galen and flame, no doubt. The Galen is consistent with others I've seen from the early '90s -- notice how the finish is darker on the handle to the center brand and then down the sides of the barrel, but lighter on the face of the barrel. It's as if the bat was dipped in the finish and as it ran down, the branded oval diverted the flow, directing it around the oval.

Thank you sir! I'll be on the lookout for more quality bats and am soaking in this great info. It's funny how bats always look so much better in person as compared to the photos! It also kinda reminds me of taking photos of a car with a nice paint job -- they just don't come out quite right.

A collector made an offer I could not refuse, so the bats are gone. Many thanks to everyone for all the emails...