PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Treasure

cohibasmoker
03-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I know we all have heard of and even experienced "horror" stories associated with our hobby but every now and again, something positive happens that helps us forget about all of the negativity. So, I figured that I'd share a "positive" story about the hobby.

As some of you are aware, a few weeks ago I picked up a 1969 Vikings jersey with a NFL 50th Anniversary patch on it. In short, it came with three (3) LOA's and after inspecting the jersey, I noticed it had some unique features - none of which were stated in any of the LOA's. So, I started digging around and reached out to a couple of collector friends who were gracious enough to steer me in the right direction.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=48776&page=2

After a couple of phone calls, I made arrangements to send the jersey to a gal who actually worked for the Vikings and who had a hand in personally altering the Vikings jerseys for Super Bowl IV. Today, I got the jersey back with a LOA which states in part, After careful examination of the Bob Grim white jersey, I can confirm it is an authentic game issued and game worn jersey. Most probably worn in Super Bowl 4. The letter goes on to say, another team-employee stopped by the shop and looked over the jersey and agreed with my thoughts and added the red stains are from field paint.

In closing, while I was inspecting the jersey, it wasn't any one feature that made the jersey special but when you put it all together, added-in some game footage and still images, what started out as a ordinary football jersey turned out to be very special indeed.

A special thanks to Andy and Chuck.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Gridiron Heroes
03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Cool story Jim! It is nice to hear a feel good story. I asume you're referring to the women who did the sewing for Steichen's Sporting Goods in St. Paul. I forget her name, but she's a great lady that I had met a few times. Steichen's was bought out a few years ago and I heard she was one of the first to be let go. They were an amazing local shop who did work for the Twins, Vikings, North Stars, Gophers, and a ton of other local colleges and high schools. Certainly the end of an era.

Shawn
www.gopherjerseys.com (http://www.gopherjerseys.com)
www.gridironheroes.net (http://www.gridironheroes.net)
gridironheroes22@yahoo.com

genius
03-13-2012, 03:32 PM
what a great story, it's one thing to just outbid everyone on an item but it's quite another (and a heck of a lot more fun) to find a possible "buried treasure" and discover through research that it's a truly rare and valuable item. CONGRATS!

sox83cubs84
03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Nice going, Jim...glad to see a fellow patriot come out on the good end of a research mission.

Dave Miedema

cohibasmoker
03-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys. It was quite a project. The internet and collector friends really, really helped. The resources available today (internet) are just fantastic. No more going to the library or shows to collect information. As hard as this may be to believe, eBay really helped because I was able to locate photos and other reference materials.

Penny was pretty cool. A very professional lady who tied it all together - she was there in 1969 and she was personally involved with preparing the Vikings jerseys for the Super Bowl. When she got the jersey, she recognized her work. Having Dennis look at the jersey and recognize the stains on the back as field paint was another bonus.

For this project, everything just came together.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

karamaxjoe
03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
I really enjoy reading these kinds of success stories. This is truly what this hobby should be about. It's not about buying something and slapping it on the wall, but doing some great research and finding a gem. Congrats Jim!