PDA

View Full Version : repair a bat that is sawed in half

JCC1968
10-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi

I recently picked up a vintage baseball bat that was signed by the 1955 Yankess. The bat is a Yogi Berra Gamer. (as far as i can tell) It has the whole team as far as i can tell. The only problem is it has been sawed in half. (lengthwise) My question is. Does anyone know anyone who can restore this bat to a whole bat again? I do not have the other piece but who like it to be whole again.

Thanks
Jason

MSpecht
10-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi Jason--

Here are a few thoughts to consider;

Initially, you should make sure of a few things. If the bat is a legit Berra game used bat from the era, and has been sawed in half (common for the era) in order to be autographed, and the autographs are genuine, it is a very nice collectible in itself.

Check out the bat and the labeling closely to determine if it is a professional model bat (assuming it is H & B). In 1955 (actually from 1947 with very very few exceptions) a Berra game used bat should be a Model R43 that is 35 inches in length. A deviation in length would be indicative of a team ordered/index bat which would have a major bearing on any decision made about the bat.

Next, determine if the autographs are authentic. That may necessitate the services of a professional authenticaton service. You would certainly want to see Stengel, Mantle, Berra, Ford, and Rizzuto on there.

In my opinion, if the bat is not a game used Berra professional bat that matches his factory records, there is no reason to destroy the collectible as it exists. With genuine autographs, the value both from both monetary and historical standpoints is much greater as it exists than would be the value of a restored team index bat.

If the autographs are genuine, and the bat is a Berra game used professional bat that is supported in Berra's factory records, then you have a decision to make. First, realize that the amount of restoration needed (as you describe) will not only be quite costly in itself, , but will significantly diiminish the value of the bat when compared with other, non-restored, game used Berra bats. While there may be some debate over comparative values of the bat as it currently exists and a legitimate game used Berra bat from the same era, there will be little debate about the comparative value of the bat as it currently exists versus a Berra game used bat that is 50 % not original.

Take a look around and determine which is the more rare item...a game used 1950's Berra bat or a Berra game used half-bat signed by the 1955 New York Yankees. That may influence your decision.

To answer your original question, a recent post pointed to Fred Bowman fredlowman@snet.net. and another person who can be reached through John Taube at www.gameusedbats.com (http://www.gameusedbats.com/) as two of the best when it comes to bat restoration.

Good Luck . Although the points above are, in my opinion, things to consider, ultimately it is best to collect what you like. If you are able to post photos of this bat many of us would enjoy seeing it.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

JCC1968
10-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi

Thank you for your information. This brings up an important question

Is the bat worth more sawed in half or is it worth more as a whole bat?

I would be curious for for the board to weigh in.

I think this board opinon will weight heavy o my decision

Jason

metsbats
10-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Hi

Thank you for your information. This brings up an important question

Is the bat worth more sawed in half or is it worth more as a whole bat?

I would be curious for for the board to weigh in.

I think this board opinon will weight heavy o my decision

Jason

Jason,

I think you have to think about what this bat currently is. It's a autographed 1955 team bat which happens to be on a 50's Yogi Berra GU bat that was sawed in half to be autographed. Restoring this bat to a whole bat will not make it a GU Berra because the orginal GU half will not be used and i think you will be destroying something that is a truly rare and unique collectible especially if there are authentic autographs of legends like Stengel and Mantle on this half bat.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
David

MSpecht
10-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi Jason--

Here is some recent info that may help establish the value of this signed half bat as it currently exists. The following prices were realized in the recent Geppi's auction for similar signed half bats:
1949 Red Sox $640
1950 Yankees $3250
1948 Yankees $1800
1950 AL All Stars $3000

Here is the link....Good Luck http://www.gmrs.com/search.asp?Auction=3&CategoryID=330&SubcategoryID=395

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Jonathan
10-06-2006, 01:30 AM
Leave The Bat In Half, And Put The Mounting Screws On It -like The Bats In The Link Above- It Would Look Great On The Wall!!

Can You Add Pic's?? I Would Like To Take A Look.:d

JCC1968
10-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Hi

Thanks for the information... My bat is signed on the outside of the half bat and not the inside like most sawed in half bats.

Hope this helps in the debate on what to do.

Jason

camarokids
10-12-2006, 12:48 PM
My opinion is leave it in it's original state ! :):):):)