PDA

View Full Version : Photo-matched items in your collection?

skipcareyisfat
12-09-2005, 06:46 PM
I started trying to photo-match my game used helmets in the early 90s. My first one was Terry Steinbach's A's catching helmet. He used it for a few years and the marks are pretty distinct. Since then, I've sort of been hooked on photo-matching whatever I can. Other helmet matches for me include Albert Pujols, Mark Teixeira, Dale Murphy, Mike Lansing, Mark Lemke, Mike Felder, Luis Gonzalez, and Greg Olson (Braves).

Dick Dobbins once told me that he wouldn't call something game used unless he witnessed the use, and then was handed the item directly by the player. No one compares to Dobbins of course (especially these instant-dealers who use ebay to stock their inventory), but he had the right idea. That is, no one can refute the authenticity of an item if it was witnessed in use, i.e, a solid photo-match - exept for maybe Lou Lampson, who's currently busy authenticating Peyton Manning's first stroller.

So here's the question: What g/u items from your collection have you photo-matched?

-Jason

both-teams-played-hard
12-10-2005, 02:50 PM
1975 John Drew, Atlanta Hawks. Maybe a true "photomatch", but hard to tell with a "touched" photo. Drew only wore this style for one season. I want to believe the wrinkles and puckering in the numerals match, and it appears so.161162

12-11-2005, 03:32 AM
After the 2004 baseball season ended, I was fortunate to purchase a cracked black Louisville Slugger bat of the Angels' Dallas McPherson, who made his MLB debut in 2004. In December 2004, a friend gave me a nice color 8" x 10" photo of Dallas taken during one of the games that he appeared in during the fall. The picture is a waist up shot of an at bat while waiting for the pitch. This summer, I put the bat and photo together and was ecstatic to see the same distinctive large white scrape marks clearly on the photo and the bat. This was my first true photo match since I started collecting equipment in 1975.

Tom Duino
Aliso Viejo, CA

gameused
12-11-2005, 05:15 AM
Here's a photo matched David Ortiz 2005 HR derby bat that I have in my collection. Ortiz hit 20 HR's with this bat for a total distance of 8447 ft.

The bat is a LVS B-9 and is just hammered with ball seam marks mainly on the right area of the barrel, it's a little warped from all those hard hits. Amazingly there is no deadwood, this Beechwood is some really tough wood.

If you look closely towards the front area of the centerbrand there are distinct pine tar prints that were left from Ortiz holding the bat with his pine tar stained batting gloves.

164 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=236&stc=1&d=1134293443)

mcnallypalmercuellardobson
12-11-2005, 08:04 AM
Can someone point out to the unenlightened, such as myself, exactly how to go about photo matching?
Thanks to anyone who responds...

allstarsplus
12-11-2005, 08:35 AM
By the way, I like your nickname! (mcnallypalmercuellardobson) as I am a big fan of the old O's!

You can photomatch to the archived photos on www.gettyimages.com (http://www.gettyimages.com) or www.corbis.com (http://www.corbis.com) or the photo store on www.mlb.com (http://www.mlb.com) or the AP photos or ESPN. The AP and ESPN photos don't stay active long so for older games the Getty Images are best.

Andrew

gameused
12-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Besides getty and corbis another way to photo match is with baseball cards. You can go to ebay and look for certain player cards up for auction and sometimes find a match. Most of the time if the Baseball card for example was produced in 2005, the photo pictured on the card is most likely from the year before.

Back on the original game used forum site I posted photos of a game used Albert Pujols Old Hickory bat with a scored handle and a fellow member forwarded a pic of Albert Pujols pictured on a 2003 Donruss baseball card with the exact bat. I also found a photo match on getty images that shows Pujols tossing the bat after drawing a walk in a game on 8-10-2002 against the New York Mets. You can see Albert Pujols uniform number 5 written in silver in the cupped barrel and the scored handle in the getty photo from 2002.

2003 Donruss card

Getty photo 2002

nyg44
12-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Another web site is www.wireimage.com. Is anyone a member of this website?

sportscentury
12-11-2005, 10:34 PM
I started trying to photo-match my game used helmets in the early 90s. My first one was Terry Steinbach's A's catching helmet. He used it for a few years and the marks are pretty distinct. Since then, I've sort of been hooked on photo-matching whatever I can. Other helmet matches for me include Albert Pujols, Mark Teixeira, Dale Murphy, Mike Lansing, Mark Lemke, Mike Felder, Luis Gonzalez, and Greg Olson (Braves).

Dick Dobbins once told me that he wouldn't call something game used unless he witnessed the use, and then was handed the item directly by the player. No one compares to Dobbins of course (especially these instant-dealers who use ebay to stock their inventory), but he had the right idea. That is, no one can refute the authenticity of an item if it was witnessed in use, i.e, a solid photo-match - exept for maybe Lou Lampson, who's currently busy authenticating Peyton Manning's first stroller.

So here's the question: What g/u items from your collection have you photo-matched?

-Jason

Great topic for discussion. I've had several different items photo-matched (truly photo-matched) over the years. Right now, I even have a complete Rickey Henderson uniform that is video-matched (his hat, jersey, and pants from the 2002 TBTC game with the Red Sox - I have the DVD of the game and all of the items came directly off of Rickey after the game - unwashed).

But the greatest items that I have that are photo-matched are actually from the same in-action shot of Steve Carlton from the 1986 Phillies yearbook. I have his jersey from that photo (matched by pinstripes). I also own Lefty's 4000th strikeout game worn fielder's glove, which was also his final fielder's glove with the Phillies in 1985-86. This glove is the exact one that Lefty is wearing in the very same photo from the 1986 Phillies yearbook. Pretty incredible.

Reid

astros*bats
12-12-2005, 12:00 AM
Is anyone a member of the Wire Image site that NYG mentioned? There are a couple pictures that I need to photo match a jersey I have. I already have one picture from Getty but there are 2 or 3 different ones on Wire Image. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-AJ

skipcareyisfat
12-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Is anyone a member of the Wire Image site that NYG mentioned? There are a couple pictures that I need to photo match a jersey I have. I already have one picture from Getty but there are 2 or 3 different ones on Wire Image. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-AJ

Wire Image looks affordable compared to Getty. Anyone care to pitch in and start a Game Used Forum account with them? (Hopefully, the folks from Wire aren't reading this.)

AJ, are your Getty images high res, printable files or were they saved straight from the site?

Jason

astros*bats
12-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Jason-

The pics that I have from Getty are just saved from their site. You can easily match the jersey however I will look into the high resolution pics. I would be willing to throw in if some others would like to get an account. Good idea!

-AJ

skipcareyisfat
12-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Jason-

The pics that I have from Getty are just saved from their site. You can easily match the jersey however I will look into the high resolution pics. I would be willing to throw in if some others would like to get an account. Good idea!

-AJ

AJ,

Here's what I'm thinking: Since you can purchase a membership for a single month, let's try and get some interest in buying a premium membership for one month. That would give us access to their whole database. For one month, whoever kicked in for the membership could share the account info and pull whatever photos they wanted. If anyone is seriously interested, I'd be willing to do this.

Jason

gameused
12-13-2005, 09:35 PM
AJ,

Here's what I'm thinking: Since you can purchase a membership for a single month, let's try and get some interest in buying a premium membership for one month. That would give us access to their whole database. For one month, whoever kicked in for the membership could share the account info and pull whatever photos they wanted. If anyone is seriously interested, I'd be willing to do this.

Jason

I'm interested, let me know.

Thanks, Bobby

Gyro123
12-14-2005, 03:10 AM
I would be interested as well guys. Please contact me at Gyro123@aol.com to discuss further. Thanks again, this sounds like a great idea

nyg44
12-14-2005, 05:43 PM
I would be interested in some type of arrangement to help. Thanks

skipcareyisfat
12-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I happened to try using my account from a different computer and it wouldn't let me. Maybe it was a fluke but apparently they figured out a way to enforce their one account per person policy. That said, I wasn't too please with the size and quality of the pics. You really couldn't manipulate them in a way that would've provided decent details. Sorry about that to anyone who was interested.

BTW, the quality and size of the photos are very similar the AP. There's a college near me and their library computers are all linked up to the AP photo archive. Not surprisingly, it's a very large database. And it's free.

Gyro123
12-15-2005, 03:14 PM
I collect mainly game used baseball bats. What I am trying to do is find pictures on the internet of players using the bat model in which I have and printing an 8x10 to display next to the bat I was wondering if you would be able to tell me what resolution and pixel size are nec. for pictures to be made into in-focus, non- grainy, quality 8x10 prints. I was hoping you were onto something with WireImage. I would save the pics to my computer and then burn them to disc and have them printed out using a Kodak Picture Maker or at Costco but I do not know if there pics would be the right size to do that properly. Any recommendations? Thanks so much- George

sandman02910
12-15-2005, 11:11 PM
I know these players aren't as big as some of the players others have listed but I really enjoy trying to photo match all of my game used items. I have been able to photomatch 2 Justin Morneau jerseys to photos on Getty as well as a Jonathan Papelbon fielding glove to his Sarasota baseball card. A Jon Lester Fielding Glove to his JUST autographed card. Finally I have been able to photo match several Dustin Pedroia to his Portland Sea Dogs card including his batting helmet, jersey, pants and bat. Obviously the jersey, pants and helmet were easy because it was the only helmet and 1 of 2 home jerseys he used but I thought the bat was really exciting when it matched 1 of the 2 bats of his I have.
Thanks
Scott

Vintagedeputy
12-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Question - when you guys say photo matched are you saying that there is a pic that shows the same model or type or are you saying that the bat, jersey you have is EXACTLY the same one pictured?

sandman02910
12-16-2005, 11:57 PM
It means the item in question is an EXACT match to a photo or baseball card etc. I have been extremely lucky matching several of my items to the exact items pictured in certain players baseball cards. Considering every player goes through dozens of bats each year I would have to say that the odds of matching a bat with the exact one being used in a baseball card is pretty tough but I have been lucky enough to do so.
Thanks
Scott