PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow a Jet

lcstate collector
03-21-2012, 12:34 PM
I was hoping he would go back home to Florida but this is from ESPN:

Unusually quiet in recent weeks, the New York Jets shattered the calm Wednesday by completing a trade for polarizing quarterback Tim Tebow, the team confirmed.

The Jets will send a fourth-round pick to the Denver Broncos, a source said.

Tebow, a former first-round pick, went on the trading block Monday when the Broncos secured free agent Peyton Manning, who signed a five-year, $96 million contract.

xpress34
03-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Drew -

Now they're saying the trade has hit a snag and may not be completed due to some "recapture language'' which means the Jets would have to pay back some money to the Broncos.

Smitty

slab0meat
03-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Very strange acquisition for the Jets... I still don't know why they would do this.

cohibasmoker
03-22-2012, 10:12 AM
I was hoping he would go back home to Florida but this is from ESPN:

Unusually quiet in recent weeks, the New York Jets shattered the calm Wednesday by completing a trade for polarizing quarterback Tim Tebow, the team confirmed.

The Jets will send a fourth-round pick to the Denver Broncos, a source said.

Tebow, a former first-round pick, went on the trading block Monday when the Broncos secured free agent Peyton Manning, who signed a five-year, $96 million contract.

Why is Tim Tebow a "polarizing quarterback"? I must have missed the stories; What did he do?

Did he beat his wife
That's right, he's not married - did he beat his girlfriend?
Does he take drugs;
Does he do steroids?
Did he throw games or hit people for cash?
Does he do silly dances in the end zone?
Does he taunt other players after a play?
Perhaps he shot himself in his foot at a nightclub?

I must have missed it - why is he a "polarizing quarterback"? It can't be because he believes in Christ and he's a Christian is it?

Jim

otismalibu
03-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Did he beat his wife
Does he take drugs;
Does he do steroids?

polarize - to cause people to adopt extreme opposing positions

I don't see how any of the examples above would make an athlete loved by some and hated by others.

slab0meat
03-22-2012, 12:37 PM
polarize - to cause people to adopt extreme opposing positions

I don't see how any of the examples above would make an athlete loved by some and hated by others.

Really? I do.

otismalibu
03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Really? I do.

Assaulting a girlfriend, getting busted for steroids, fixing games, taunting...these expand a player's fan base?

In best Carson voice, "I did not know that."

Jags Fan Dan
03-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Why is Tim Tebow a "polarizing quarterback"? I must have missed the stories; What did he do?

Did he beat his wife
Does he take drugs;
Does he do steroids?

I must have missed it - why is he a "polarizing quarterback"? It can't be because he believes in Christ and he's a Christian is it?

Jim
I think he's polarizing because he does not play the position the way others expect it to be played.

gingi79
03-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Assaulting a girlfriend, getting busted for steroids, fixing games, taunting...these expand a player's fan base?

I think many fans would sadly accept a player whose moral compass is set to "devoid" if it meant their long suffering team would win a title.

I also think Tim Tebow is a well manner, well spoken, morally commendable person. He's a guy you can root for. That being said, "Tebowing" became a lightning rod because it's just as ridiculous as a T.O celebration. In a world with famine, poverty, natural disasters, starving children in our own country not to mention our soldiers fighting overseas, getting down on one knee and praying as if a football game was anything more than recreation, is silly.

sox83cubs84
03-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Did he beat his wife
Does he take drugs;
Does he do steroids?

Jim

AMEN!!

Dave Miedema

slab0meat
03-22-2012, 03:50 PM

Check the definition you posted... Polarizing does not mean expanding.

otismalibu
03-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Check the definition you posted... Polarizing does not mean expanding.

Thanks, I know. You missed my point.

The OP posted "polarizing quarterback Tim Tebow".

That's exactly what he is. Some people think he's a great QB, others think he's terrible. Some people love the religious angle, some people find it nauseating.
Ask anyone for an opinion on Tebow and it's often extreme, either way.

The laundry list that Jim posted doesn't strike me as qualities that would get half the people loving you and half the people hating you. Although, (post 6) you disagree with that. IMO, that list would only help you lose fans, not split them. With the exception of silly dances...see Billy White shoes.

frikativ54
03-22-2012, 09:24 PM

Jim (and Dave) - The issue is not about Tebow's beliefs per se; some of my favorite athletes are followers of Jesus. The reason why Tebow is so polarizing is his constant in-your-face expression of his faith, the details of which are clear to anyone who has even a passing interest in the NFL.

slab0meat
03-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Jim (and Dave) - The issue is not about Tebow's beliefs per se; some of my favorite athletes are followers of Jesus. The reason why Tebow is so polarizing is his constant in-your-face expression of his faith, the details of which are clear to anyone who has even a passing interest in the NFL.

Along those lines, why do I never hear so much media attention about the players that huddle after games (or whenever they choose to do it) for a prayer? Sure, it might not be right after a TD, but that's still way out in the open for many to see.

Where's the attention for every baseball player who makes the sign of the cross over his chest before an at-bat, or who points to the sky after crossing home plate?

BostonSportsFan
03-23-2012, 03:15 PM

The fact that the media has rammed Tebow down everyone's throat has not helped. He may have been one of the best college quarterbacks but there are plenty of former college Heisman winners who failed miserably at the Pro level yet for some reason people and the media lose their minds over a guy that really is simply not that good.

It seems people have short memories as the Broncos bailed Tebow out on a number of occassions and the fact that after a great start he and the Broncos finished 1-4 and beat a badly beat up and undermanned Steelers team in the playoffs. A completion percentage of 46.5% would have any other player out of the league after 11 career games

Teams adapt and it appears that teams figured him out in the later part of the season. If Tebow does not learn to pass which he is horrible at doing he will not survive in this league long term in any capacity as a quarterback.

I am not taking anything away from his lifestyle, great that he is a role model and great teammate, hard worker etc. but the fact is as a current NFL quarterback the guy is not good.

No other player current or otherwise with his skill level or lack thereof gets anywhere near the attention this guy gets. I actually found myself hoping that this guy would continue to play bad just to shut the media up as it is beyond sickening with the constant attention given to a mediocre player at best

Joe