Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • perlman9
    • Dec 2007

Can Any Mickey Mantle autograph experts help

I received this piece a while ago from a fellow member, and decided to sell on ebay. It was pulled several hours later saying the autograph was not real, but it looks very much like this one that sold here

I don't want to sell something fake but the person I got it from deals in high-end items so would assume he would know if it was fake or not. I wanted to move it to get a jersey. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org
  • perlman9
    • Dec 2007

Re: Can Any Mickey Mantle autograph experts help

Thanks for the reply to my email, Joel!
    Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Comment

• marino13
      • Feb 2010

Before you pick up any and I do mean any MICKEY MANTLE signature, make sure you can get the money back guarantee clause!

Mantle is the MOST forged signature and some of the forged signature also passed authentication at first and later deemed to be faked!

Just be careful!

Comment

• gameused
        • Nov 2005

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that Mickey Mantle auto is no good and marino13 is exactly right.....Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams are the most forged signatures in baseball memorabilia.

When buying Mickey Mantle signed items, stick with Upper Deck Authenticated, Pro Sports Services and PSA/DNA signed items.

Here's a Gallo photo of Mickey Mantle with the his 1956 (Triple Crown) year that I own. I picked this up from a dealer years ago that did a private signing with Mantle.

Thanks,
        Bobby
        hawaii_five0@yahoo.com
        Attached Files

Comment

• gameused
          • Nov 2005

Another thing I noticed is that the numbers 5 & 6 on the Mantle 1956 insciption and the numbers 5 & 6 on the edition size are almost exact, likely from the same hand.

Thanks,
          Bobby
          Attached Files

Comment

• perlman9
            • Dec 2007

Thanks! I didn't buy it thankfully, was a gift for helping him land a large bat collection. I am totally bummed it is fake and if I can find his email will let him know to see if he can remedy the situation. I would find it hard to believe he didn't know if it is in fact a fake, but will see. Thanks for all the response and as I said, at least i didn't pay cash for it but was in lieu of a finders' fee
            Jason Perlman
            jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Comment

• David
              • Sep 2024

For future reference Net54baseball.com is a good place for baseball autograph questions-- on their memorabilia section. A number of expert collectors and dealers are there, including a former PSA/DNA authenticator. The board overall is primarily for Pre-War baseball cards, but they have other sections as well. No game used.

Comment

• Skizzick
                • Mar 2011

If you want an idea about how mad the market is flooded with Mantle fakes, read Operation Bullpen. I would ONLY buy an item that is Upper Deck authenticated because a lot of the fakes can pass PSA/DNA authentication.

Comment

• Danny899
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Skizzick
                  I would ONLY buy an item that is Upper Deck authenticated because a lot of the fakes can pass PSA/DNA authentication.

If I was looking for a Mantle, I wouldn't limit myself just to UDA. There are many authentic autos out there as well. You just need to be knowledgeable. Mantle did quite a few signings later on in life other than just UDA. I was able to get him on a few jerseys and balls at a Pastime Productions show in Atlantic City. (Older collectors will remember that one)

Comment

• nycpropain
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Danny899
                    If I was looking for a Mantle, I wouldn't limit myself just to UDA. There are many authentic autos out there as well. You just need to be knowledgeable. Mantle did quite a few signings later on in life other than just UDA. I was able to get him on a few jerseys and balls at a Pastime Productions show in Atlantic City. (Older collectors will remember that one)
                    Thats great he did signings, sadly that's meaningless these days with the amount of Mantle forgeries out there. If you want a guaranteed authentic autograph UDA is the only way to go. Everything else is flipping a coin.

Comment

• David
                      • Sep 2024

Mantle did signings for a couple of other companies too.

There were Mantle signed 'Stat' sheets where the signings were witnessed by a notary public. Each signature is literally notarized. Those are legitimate and you see them fairly often.

Comment

• David
                        • Sep 2024

There are Joe Dimaggio signed bats that were also notarized. The notary public stood right behind him as he signed.

Comment

• nycpropain
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by David
                          Mantle did signings for a couple of other companies too.

There were Mantle signed 'Stat' sheets where the signings were witnessed by a notary public. Each signature is literally notarized. Those are legitimate and you see them fairly often.
                          And what about if I have one of these balls and a fake one. I can then use this "coa" on the fake one and no one would know the difference.

Comment

Working...