PDA

View Full Version : You Know What Really Grinds My Gears - Selling on eBay!

TriplexXxSports
03-28-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm never one to gripe, and I don't list on eBay too often. But, it seems that EVERY TIME I do, the is always a group of schmucks that try to low ball my items, giving some lame ole excuse as to they bought something better, for cheaper from somewhere else.

I'm not a price gouger. I set prices with fair market value to begin with, expecting to receive reasonable counter offers. Yet these clowns continue to offer no better than half my list price, and then get pissed when I say the best I can do is knock off 35% of the list price...

I mean come on guys, this is a SALE - not UNICEF!

And that my friends, is what really grinds my gears

34swtns
03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
You done?

You know this will never change so I don't know why you bother bizitching about it. You and I have had this discussion before, several times in fact, and the end result is always the same:
as card-carrying Mensa members, we're WAY outnumbered.

Now, off your soapbox and get back in the gym.

b.heagy
03-28-2012, 11:58 AM
gotta love the block bidder option.........

yanks12025
03-28-2012, 12:14 PM
I love when trying to sell stuff and I put prices at what the same items have sold for in the past. Yet my auctions never receive the bids or money like the other listings.

TriplexXxSports
03-28-2012, 12:46 PM
You done?

You know this will never change so I don't know why you bother bizitching about it. You and I have had this discussion before, several times in fact, and the end result is always the same:
as card-carrying Mensa members, we're WAY outnumbered.

Now, off your soapbox and get back in the gym.

34 - Don't make me flex all over your parade! I'd hate to have to come down there and wreck your style! And FYI - I've already been today.

And yes, it's never going to change (like we've spoke about numerous times, and you the "ALMIGHTY" have enlighten me about)- I know this. Just about sick of the chit though.

Will you ever forgive my rant, Ole Mighty One?

CollectGU
03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
34 - Don't make me flex all over your parade! I'd hate to have to come down there and wreck your style! And FYI - I've already been today.

And yes, it's never going to change (like we've spoke about numerous times, and you the "ALMIGHTY" have enlighten me about)- I know this. Just about sick of the chit though.

Will you ever forgive my rant, Ole Mighty One?

I'm curious on what the item was, what you consider it's fair market value, and what the low ball number was. In this economy fair market is heading south, much like real estate, so what was low ball in the past is now fair market value.....

TriplexXxSports
03-28-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm curious on what the item was, what you consider it's fair market value, and what the low ball number was. In this economy fair market is heading south, much like real estate, so what was low ball in the past is now fair market value.....

The item, nor the price is relevant. It's the fact that the clown was offering 5/8 of my asking price. That's an insult, by all accounts.

Not to mention when I dropped the price by 30%, he goes into his rant about how he picked up a similar item (different player) for $125 less.

Whatever dude...

rufusandherschel
03-28-2012, 01:15 PM
In this economy fair market is heading south, much like real estate, so what was low ball in the past is now fair market value.....[/quote]

Tend to agree. Perhaps sad, but true.

TriplexXxSports
03-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Tend to agree. Perhaps sad, but true.

We all know this. My prices are always adjusted accordingly.

Shipp_96
03-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I agree with your rant, because I feel the same way. Ebay has become a last ditch, desperate I really want something else so whatever if I lose $ on this effort for me.

I had a worn jersey on there I dropped $60 from what I paid, only to have people writing me offering an additional $30-40 less than my drop dead price! Keep in mind this was a low end price to start with (less than $200).

I even emailed them and told them look, I paid this amount for it, and am offering it to you for this. I am not desperate, but just want to buy something else. IT SIMPLY DOES NOT MATTER TO THEM! Then long after the auction has ended, the vultures will continue to email me and beg me to sell it to them at that insulting offer they made.

There gets a point where you would rather keep it then accept their BS.

otismalibu
03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Buyers don't really care what the seller has invested. A couple years back I paid $800 for an item the seller had paid $1500 for a few years earlier. He listed it on eBay for $750 and no one bid.

If an item is priced right, it will usually sell. Sometimes it take a couple of auctions. You can just eliminate the offer option and go straight BIN, or set the min. offer deal. Or just block the outrageous lowballers.

5/8 and 5.6/8 is not that far apart.

Maybe wait until football season.

gingi79
03-28-2012, 04:13 PM
eBay only cares about money and buyers. Between the seller fees and the fact there is (at best) 10 to 1 ratio of fake to real items, selling on the site has become a ghetto garage sale. There are many good reasons why the prices of real auction sites is so much higher than FleaBay, and integrity is on top of the list.

emann
03-28-2012, 04:44 PM
In this economy fair market is heading south, much like real estate, so what was low ball in the past is now fair market value.....

Tend to agree. Perhaps sad, but true.[/QUOTE]

This isn't always true and I'd say that price adjustments are happening mostly on items that were overpriced to begin with. Items with true collectible value will hold their price points for the most part. It might just not sell as fast as it once did...

Also (and this is not directed @ you TripleXXX), some sellers are just plain greedy and unrealistic with "buy it now" listings.

frikativ54
03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
The item, nor the price is relevant. It's the fact that the clown was offering 5/8 of my asking price. That's an insult, by all accounts.

I'm often content to get 5/8 of my asking price on the BO option. Maybe raise your BIN?

Griffey24fan
03-28-2012, 06:43 PM
I will admit I tend to offer well below the price being asked because it is in fact worth much less than what the seller wants nowadays. It does not matter what you have invested or paid for something.

I remember a while back I offered $225 for a Griffey UDA photo and that was my tops while the seller thought it was worth $500+ as he had more than that invested and told me I was lowballing etc. Then he asked other members on the board what it is worth and my offer was more than generous according to the others as well as eBay prices for a similar item.

Remember an item is only WORTH what a buyer is willing to pay today, what you have invested does not make a difference.

flota89
03-28-2012, 07:52 PM
I will admit I tend to offer well below the price being asked because it is in fact worth much less than what the seller wants nowadays. It does not matter what you have invested or paid for something.

I remember a while back I offered $225 for a Griffey UDA photo and that was my tops while the seller thought it was worth $500+ as he had more than that invested and told me I was lowballing etc. Then he asked other members on the board what it is worth and my offer was more than generous according to the others as well as eBay prices for a similar item.

Remember an item is only WORTH what a buyer is willing to pay today, what you have invested does not make a difference.

I must say I completely agree with you. I frequently list items on eBay, and almost always I choose the Buy it Now option and opt to accept best offers. While the prices seem fair to me, I get a lot of offers for much lower. Instead of sending back a rude or short response I always explain to the buyer what I need for the item. If they can do that...great. If not...I move on. There are far too many sellers on eBay that get way too defensive when offers are made on their items. The worst a seller can do is say no. I see absolutely nothing wrong with offering what is comfortable, even if it is lower.

In the end, an item is worth what someone will pay. Nothing wrong with that number being too low for a seller. Just decline it and move on.

TriplexXxSports
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm often content to get 5/8 of my asking price on the BO option. Maybe raise your BIN?

Then I would be gouging the consumer. It's set at a fair price. Anyone in the market for an item should know a fair price when they come across one.

It's not like I'm asking $3.5 mil for some Tillman cleats, but I'm also not running a 70% off sale...

otismalibu
03-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Then I would be gouging the consumer. It's set at a fair price. Anyone in the market for an item should know a fair price when they come across one.

If there's a natural disaster and you have the only water for 100 miles and you're charging $50 a bottle...that's gouging. Game used gear is not exactly a necessity and the creation of this thread makes it pretty obvious there hasn't been a temporary spike in demand. I don't think there are many seasoned eBayers who use BIN when the Best Offer option is up, unless the item is already priced to sell.

Look how often everyone here flips items. You know these offers are often coming from buyers who plan to do the same. They don't want a fair price, they want an attractive price that allows them the opportunity to make some money on it.

Shipp_96
03-28-2012, 08:26 PM
They don't want a fair price, they want an attractive price that allows them the opportunity to make some money on it.

+1

Shipp_96
03-28-2012, 08:35 PM

That logic is fine, and I somewhat agree that if someone has the Best Offer option, of course I am going to try to get it somewhat cheaper. However, I stay within a respectful range of the BIN price. I don't go HALF.

When I list something for $220 for example, (and have no Best Offer option FYI), don't write me asking me to sell it to you for $120, then continously pester me to sell it to you for that absurd price! I have even had people write me after the auction (I touched on this on my earlier post) and say "my $120 offer still stands, are you going to sell it to me or what?" Here is where I have the issue.

I already respectfully told you my lowest acceptable price (usually within $20 of their offer) and you expect me to come down $100 but you cannot come up $20? I am just saying...

frikativ54
03-28-2012, 08:42 PM
I must say I completely agree with you. I frequently list items on eBay, and almost always I choose the Buy it Now option and opt to accept best offers. While the prices seem fair to me, I get a lot of offers for much lower. Instead of sending back a rude or short response I always explain to the buyer what I need for the item. If they can do that...great. If not...I move on. There are far too many sellers on eBay that get way too defensive when offers are made on their items. The worst a seller can do is say no. I see absolutely nothing wrong with offering what is comfortable, even if it is lower.

In the end, an item is worth what someone will pay. Nothing wrong with that number being too low for a seller. Just decline it and move on.

Great points. Plus, if you're not happy with the price, why not counteroffer? When I'm interested - but am not dying to own - an item, I will sometimes initially offer a lower amount. However, if the seller counteroffers, I am often willing to pay $50 to $100 more, if that's what it takes to get the item. It just depends on how much I care about that particular piece. I often put in best offers to feel out where both of us are at in terms of prices, not necessarily as the highest I will pay.

CollectGU
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Then I would be gouging the consumer. It's set at a fair price. Anyone in the market for an item should know a fair price when they come across one....

We can't really assess this question unless we get a better idea of what you believe is a fair price. Keep in mind what you belive is a fair price is subjective, and maybe the 5/8 offer, which is 63% of asking, is fair.

For example, I sold an Ian Kinsler game worn rookie jersey on ebay for $290. I thought it's fair market value was at least $500, but I guess I was wrong. The market dictated it's value....

otismalibu
03-28-2012, 08:59 PM
It's tough to know what kind of cushion the seller has between his listed price and the offer he will take.

I remember seeing this item and thinking the guy had no chance of even getting $200 for the item. Think I saw one at AMI that went for around $150.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=290653753575&si=a05NqqqFx8kJFXPpFVa1e%252FpHg0g%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1123&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_789wt_1247

And then he discounted it considerably and sells for $375 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=360425088636&nma=true&rt=nc&si=a05NqqqFx8kJFXPpFVa1e%252FpHg0g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_789wt_1247

And on the other end of the spectrum you can buy a couple items from BPH at their set price and try to get free shipping. Good luck with that. :)

xpress34
03-28-2012, 09:09 PM
I agree with a lot of the points made here about buyers trying to low ball the sellers.

My biggest issue is that I always use BIN, I always use BO, I always offer FREE SHIPPING (in the lower 48 - outside that is charged and Ins, etc are extra) and I have yahoos sending me offers on bats that would barely cover the shipping!

Yes, let me spend my time to wrap up this bat, use my materials to protect it, pay to ship it to you and after fees and shipping, I might have made .50!

I've actually had buyers tell me that $15 - $22 DLVD for bats is TOO MUCH!!! About $7 of that will be the shipping! And with eBay and PayPal fees, you can kiss away anouth $3.00 or so... so the net low end would be $5 a bat and the high end would be $12.

I guess I'm just a greedy bastard!

- Smitty

jppopma
03-28-2012, 10:06 PM
I will at times send in a lowball offer on some items that I only have a mild interest in. If the seller declines the offer, I move on (not like there aren't other jerseys to chose from).

When it comes to different items, there are some that I have been looking for that I will BIN right away at a decent or even higher price. Then there are items that are on my radar, but need to be below a certain price to get me interested in. I know what I will pay for them and make my offer based on that regardless what the seller is asking. Finally, I have the spur of the moment or catch my eye items. Those are the ones that I am not really interested in, but would take it at a good deal (hence the lowball offer).

Through any of these, I will not pester the seller or contact them over and over. If I feel that they are overpriced, I will mention other prices that are more in line with the item.

Speaking of values, it's not easy to make offers these days. There is a fine line between not overpaying and not insulting the seller. What would people say prices have dropped overall in the last year, last 2 years, etc??

stlbats
03-31-2012, 09:39 PM
What about this situation...I have not been on either end of this deal yet, but I do see it from time to time and wonder. Say a seller has an item that is worth no more than $300 any way you cut it, but has a BIN of like $1200 with a make an offer.

Is it wrong to make an offer somewhere near what the item is actually worth, even though technically it probably would be considered "low ball" accoring to his BIN asking price? Either the seller got ripped or is trying to make a fortune on something.

Jason

jppopma
04-01-2012, 12:36 PM
What about this situation...I have not been on either end of this deal yet, but I do see it from time to time and wonder. Say a seller has an item that is worth no more than $300 any way you cut it, but has a BIN of like $1200 with a make an offer.

Is it wrong to make an offer somewhere near what the item is actually worth, even though technically it probably would be considered "low ball" accoring to his BIN asking price? Either the seller got ripped or is trying to make a fortune on something.

Jason

IMO, no problem with that whatsoever. I also find no harm with a buyer offering only what they can afford. It's worth them giving it a try and seeing if they have a chance.

Looking at the big picture, that one buyer who was givin one "deal" may spark their interest and lead to many larger sales down the road. We need to spread interest in our hobby in many ways...sometimes cutting a deal is just one of the ways.

camarokids
04-01-2012, 01:40 PM
One way to solve the problem is to buy items that you plan on keeping for the long run and at good prices. I selectively buy items and rarely will I sell an item.

Let someone else pay the hyped up prices for the newest greatest player and then wait for them to sell. Kinda like new car prices, drive it off the lot and it depreciates by 5k. Just like Kylehess said about Jason Heyward, look at how his prices have gone down. I feel bad for the collectors who overpaid for his items (no I do not really :p).

I see other collectors selling items only months after buying the item and selling them at a considerable loss. What is the logic in this?

Especially if you are buying from MLBauctions.com you are going to pay through the nose. Good luck getting back anywhere near what you have paid for it. It is the gotta have it now mentality that will screw you over when you want to sell the item.

Buy what you like and what makes you happy. But buy smart.

godwulf
04-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Consider the really "low ball" offers as comic relief, and laugh. If a particular individual is persistent or obnoxious, or just isn't making you laugh, block and forget. It just isn't worth getting upset about.

If you only ever expect to receive communications on the Internet from intelligent, informed, insightful people, good luck - I haven't seen the filter advertised that does that.

Maybe you think this is rude and obnoxious, too, but when I see someone relisting an item for the second or third time, with a BIN or beginning bid price of, say, $60, and I've recently bought any number of identical items for a tenth of that or less, I sometimes send them links to the earlier auctions, as a sort of educational service. No, I won't insult you by offering you 10% of your asking price - but I will show you exactly how much I bought the same thing for last week or last month.

gingi79
04-02-2012, 12:36 PM
If you only ever expect to receive communications on the Internet from intelligent, informed, insightful people, good luck - I haven't seen the filter advertised that does that.

Greatest.Idea.Ever.

cohibasmoker
04-04-2012, 09:58 AM
I don't understand what the term "low-ball" means. I just got a email from Steiner that read,

Have you had your eye on a piece for a long time wishing that it would go on sale, Stop Waiting!! Call Joe at 914-307-1126 and make me an offer I can’t refuse. Pick out any item of your choice and email or call with an offer. I have the right to refuse an offer but I will 100% get back to you with at least a counter-offer. **Offer ends April 6thrd at 5pm** *Only serious offers please*

So if I made a offer on a item (s) would that be low-balling?

Jim

Danny899
04-07-2012, 11:28 PM
It's not just Ebay. You get some (not many though) of the same nitwits right here on this forum doing the same garbage. Anyone who has listed something in the Collector to Collector forum certainly has had this happen to them:

1. Someone asks for you to take the time to send them pictures and then they don't even bother to respond after sending them.
2. They try to chew you down to something ridiculously low.
3. They will only buy if the item has a COA. (afterall if it has one, it must be good right?)
4. They offer something for a trade that has practically zero market value.

I've been collecting Rickey Henderson gamers for years. Everything game used of his I collect mostly vintage jerseys, caps, helmets and spikes. Now, I understand Rickey isn't the most popular guy in history, but some of the offers I received over the years weren't even worth the time spent reading them. Has this happened to you?

:D BTW, always looking for Rickey Henderson gamers. (no bats please)