PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up: J SMITH Redskins #87 Sand-Knit GU?

TheRealG
03-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Hey there -

My brother came across another jersey.
We guess it's a J SMITH from the Redskins.

Key member of the Redskins’ NFC Champion and Super Bowl team in 1972… Fourth all-time on the Redskins’ list for career receptions with 421… Sixth all-time in Redskins’ history in receiving yards with 5,496… Recorded 421 receptions for 5,496 yards and 60 touchdowns during the course of his career…. Passed away in 1986 at the age of 43.

What do you think of it?

All help and comments are appreciated!
G.

sox83cubs84
03-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I can't say positively without seeing it in hand, but the photos look promising. The jersey would likely date to 1974 (in sync with the tag styles), as there was a second "Smith" (Larry) on the team.

Dave Miedema

TheRealG
03-30-2012, 06:34 PM
I can't say positively without seeing it in hand, but the photos look promising. The jersey would likely date to 1974 (in sync with the tag styles), as there was a second "Smith" (Larry) on the team.

Dave Miedema

Cool - thank you Dave!

Any suggestions of pictures to take to help identify it?
Do you think Jerry's off-field life will impact its value?

Appreciate the help!
G.

BaseballGM
03-30-2012, 09:39 PM
I don't think it's a 1974 as I watched the 1974 NFL Redskins video highlights and the sleeve numbers have a good distance of separation from the stripes. This jersey has them right on top. So, my opinion is 1975. The stain can be seen in the game against the Falcons.

BaseballGM
03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Also, as a life long Redskins fan, Jerry Smith is considered to be one of the greats. He was amazing to watch and Sonny Jurgensen had nothing but high praise for him. What he did off the field was his personal business. Hey, at least he didn't kill his ex wife! (allegedly) ;)

captainhaddock
03-31-2012, 11:02 AM
G,
I may be able to help. Drop me a note at captainhaddock@comcast.net if you have a chance.
M

TheRealG
03-31-2012, 11:21 AM
G,
I may be able to help. Drop me a note at captainhaddock@comcast.net if you have a chance.
M

email sent.

jdr3
04-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Dave,

Outstanding estimate on the date! G's jersey is from the 1975 season. Smith inconsistently had a J on his plate from 71-77, which is the date range the team used mesh jerseys. The telltale sign is in the sleeves. The customization Smith made to his sleeves was usually made at the
very bottom on the lowest red stripe (color picture). However, in 1975, there
was just a bit of white material remaining, as G's shows (b&w picture). Smith would cut off the bottom off the jersey and also made some alterations to his game pants.