PDA

View Full Version : Too slow of a trigger

jppopma
03-30-2012, 11:47 PM
In the last couple of weeks, I have been burned by having too slow of a trigger on Ebay. Both have involved jerseys that came up BIN style. I was interested in each, but sent a question to the seller for clarification first before pulling the trigger (both were from non collectors with very lacking descriptions). In each case, the jersey was sold before the seller replied to me. Each time was less than an hour. Am I just being too skeptical and cautious?

I wonder if anyone else has been burned like this or has any suggestions on how to avoid missing out?

Either way, on to the next jersey....

solarlottry
03-31-2012, 01:01 AM
I think it is just the nature of this hobby. We all have success stories that are equaled and in some cases, dwarfed by our near misses and failed acquisitions. I have lost count of how many authentic 49er gamers I have missed out on over the years, sometimes by only a few bucks or minutes.

I still think that for every failure there just might be a success story as well. There have been times when a shirt has popped up on eBay and I have used the BIN option to my delight! There have also been times when a deal was negotiated off eBay, for an eBay item. In both cases I am sure other collectors were disappointed.

If I look back and dwell on my many failures I would drive myself nuts! I try to concentrate on the times of good fortune and look forward to many more of them.

One thing I do is I constantly scan eBay, probably like 10 times per day (if not more if I get that "feeling")! One never knows what pops up or what gets sold every second. I am sure we all have our searches down to a science thus trying to avoid those brutal near misses.

We all have our stories of that "missed shirt", like the 1994 Merton Hanks with team letter, that sold via eBayUK for 165$! I think I almost had a seizure after I realized that I had missed out on that one. It eventually found its way to me albeit at 15X the price!

The search is the kind of stuff that makes this hobby both extremely gratifying and truly frustrating at times. To me, as long as I am still having fun I will continue to push ahead.

There is always another 49er gamer out there that I am looking to add thus the search goes on......

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY/ALL 1994 49er GU items. Paying a finders fee for quality information that leads to a purchase.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

solarlottry
03-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Oh and about that Merton Hanks.....

1994 Merton Hanks home GU jersey with team letter. Worn vs the Denver Broncos and autographed.

If I could locate the Eric Davis shirt from this game I would have the entire starting backfield of Deion Sanders, Eric Davis, Tim McDonald and Merton Hanks.

I would pay dearly for that Eric Davis shirt!!! Or any other 1994 shirt for that matter.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Skizzick
03-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Well, if you know you are going to regret it if you miss out on the item, pull the trigger earlier and know that you are protected by Paypal and ebay (and your bank account) if the item turns out to be bogus. I've never had it happen to be before on GU items, but I have jumped the gun on signed items, only to find out that it's fake or not as described. Luckily I got my money back.

project 4
03-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Well, if you know you are going to regret it if you miss out on the item, pull the trigger earlier and know that you are protected by Paypal and ebay (and your bank account) if the item turns out to be bogus. I've never had it happen to be before on GU items, but I have jumped the gun on signed items, only to find out that it's fake or not as described. Luckily I got my money back.

+1. Ebay has taken a hardline stance on fraudulent sellers and has become very buyer friendly to a fault sometimes. Some sellers get burned even if the auction was legit. So yeah, pull the trigger.