PDA

View Full Version : Maine Guides Geno Petralli on eBay

akrover
04-07-2012, 08:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=260994030229&nma=true&rt=nc&si=r9UJ9d2vcbFwvb1vtV44dYqPIvM%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I've never had this happen, just I just bid on this jersey on eBay, and was the high bidder but my bid didn't go through & I have no idea how or why. I've been bidding on eBay for over 10 years and consider myself an expert and I have never seen this before. I placed my bid, the little circle refreshed and it re-loaded the auction page where I was the high bidder, then the auction ended & it showed I lost at a much lower bid than I had placed. There is no record of my bid in the bid history now. I'm still shaking twenty minutes later.

Did anyone here win this? Was anyone watching it? I have been desperately searching for a Guides for a many, many years and this is just the latest frustrating example of one eluding me.

This one though, I had some problems with. The main problem I was having is the only style match I can find for this jersey is 1986, when Petralli did not play for the Guides. All other surrounding years the Guides emblem was screened onto the front of the jersey below "MAINE" or "GUIDES" as opposed to on a shoulder patch as represented here. The 'emblem on front' style jersey is the only one I can find pictures of Geno wearing. It seems he was released at the very beginning of the '85 season, so I'm just trying to find why he might have been issued this style? I could understand if maybe he played two games at the end of the 85 season when they may have switched to the 86 uniforms. Does anyone have any ideas?

If the winner is here and determines it is just an issued or authentic and wants to sell it please let me know. Or, if anyone has a gamer they want to move, please let me know and make my year. This is a whole in the collection that I just cannot fill. The only thing that made me feel better was my 2 year old daughter walked over and apparently saw the look of shock on my face and said, "Daddy's a little bit sad. Daddy can I make you happy?" and started dancing. That did it, but I am still at a loss as to just what happened.

jppopma
04-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Sometimes ebay does screwy things like that. Sucks that it showed that you bid went through and then didn't take. Did you get the confirmation e-mail at all?

My only suggestion would be to contact the seller and see if they can put you in touch with the buyer. Alot of buyers pick stuff up on the fly or just because it catches their eye. Knowing that this was a jersey that you really were interested in, most decent buyers would allow you to get it. If you act fast enough, maybe even get the buyer to step back and the seller can sell it directly to you.

If the seller won't help, keep checking his feedback to see who the buyer was and try to contact them directly.

Best of luck, I know those feelings when you get hit so hard that the kids notice.

Dolphinsuperbowl55
04-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Is it possible he may have blocked you from bidding?

sox83cubs84
04-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Is it possible he may have blocked you from bidding?

Block messages appear at the point where the high bid/outbid message normally does. This is the case either for blocked bidding due to the seller's decision or bids blocked because of a recent quantity of unpaid strikes. If the problem was either of these, these messages were as far as he could go...there would be no posting of whether or not his was high bid.

The only other possibility was that the seller cancelled the bid after it was made. If that were the case, though, eBay would have likely sent a bid cancellation notice, and the reason for any cancellation would be available in the lot's bid history.

Dave Miedema

akrover
04-08-2012, 10:24 AM
definitely wasn't blocked or anything like that. I've been in good contact with the seller since the jersey was listed including about an hour before it ended. I have over 300 feedback, all positive, and never had an unpaid strike. Just some flukey thing. The seller generously offered to give the winner my email address. I think based on the buyers feedback he may be a dealer? Hopefully he'd consider selling it. Although, I still have some authenticity questions.