PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Reggie Jackson Jersey MEARS

RJB44
04-08-2012, 09:20 PM
The "K" in Jackson's name is not consistent with the "K'" in the Getty image. Not sure if it's just the angle, but the "A" in the name also looks a little different (wider).

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=46589&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=31&seo=1984-Reggie-Jackson-California-Angels-Game-Worn-Home-Jersey-%28MEARS-A9.5%29-From-his-500th-HR-Season

sox83cubs84
04-08-2012, 09:55 PM
The "K" in Jackson's name is not consistent with the "K'" in the Getty image. Not sure if it's just the angle, but the "A" in the name also looks a little different (wider).

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=46589&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=31&seo=1984-Reggie-Jackson-California-Angels-Game-Worn-Home-Jersey-%28MEARS-A9.5%29-From-his-500th-HR-Season

I don't want this to be seen as a dig at my former employers as I consider MEARS among the best in the authenticating business but, MAN, that is one weird-lookin' K!

Dave Miedema

David
04-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Does appear different, but there can be visual distortions due to how the jersey is displayed-- on the player versus on a hangar versus on the floor. It does appear to be a large wrinkle near the K/S in the photo where Reggie is wearing it.

David
04-08-2012, 10:34 PM
I sometimes think collectors fail to take into consideration that details on the jersey on the padded football player may 'hang' differently then when photographed on the couch or hanger. Some perceived differences in patch alignment or whatever may simply due how the jersey is displayed.

But, again, I agree the names look different.

LandRunSports
04-09-2012, 08:55 AM
More telling - look at the inside portion of the letter "A" in "Jackson". In the photo of Jackson wearing the jersey the inside A is boxed off, the inside of the A in the other photo is pointed.

lon lewis
04-09-2012, 05:49 PM
The reason -or one of them - that the NOB looks different is that the photo shows a vertical arc NOB and the jersey in question has plain block letters attached/placed on an arc. They're 2 different styles of lettering. As previously noted, the "K" is off as well as the "S" being smaller than the letters next to it. Since the letters don't match up real well, it almost looks like the letters were taken from another jersey (or jerseys) and applied to this one.

earlywynnfan
04-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the 4's are off, too? It's hard to describe, but I'll do my best: to make a 4, you start at the bottom, go up, diagonal, then across. Look at where the 'diagonal' meets the 'across.' to me, the jersey he's wearing comes to a right angle here, while the auction jersey does not.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com