PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper Broken Bat

DeacDoug
04-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Several weeks ago, Harper went 0-3 during a spring training AAA road game against the Astros' minor leaguers. On his third AB, Harper broke his bat and stuffed it in a trashcan. I didn't see him do this but my friend's wife and others did. The trashcan was in a slightly protected area and the bat remained inside it during the last few innings of the game.

One guy claimed he had "dibs" on the bat. I was tempted to grab the bat and run like hell, but I am way too old for this and had no real legitimate claim anyone.

To make a long story short, a kid asked Harper for the bat as Bryce signed an autograph for him. The kid wound up with the bat and an auto, and an older fellow also got an auto. Harper refused to sign for the rest of us. I'm guessing the broken bat is worth $300.

frikativ54
04-09-2012, 05:48 PM
One guy claimed he had "dibs" on the bat. I was tempted to grab the bat and run like hell, but I am way too old for this and had no real legitimate claim anyone.

Glad that in all of this, you acted as an upstanding man. Too often for money or for ego we adults get caught up in this kind of stuff over used baseball equipment that would be more authentically enjoyed by a child. I admire you for taking the high road.

To make a long story short, a kid asked Harper for the bat as Bryce signed an autograph for him. The kid wound up with the bat and an auto, and an older fellow also got an auto. Harper refused to sign for the rest of us. I'm guessing the broken bat is worth $300.

Good news that the kid got the bat, but it's too bad that Bryce Harper refused to sign for almost everyone. Did he have an excuse? Team bus leaving?

brianborsch
04-09-2012, 07:21 PM
I think the story goes is that he doesn't sign much for adults because many adults are just trying to turn a profit. So he takes the time for the kids...Moral of the stroy: have kids and they can be your little minions in the game used world!

hehee! Just kidding of course about having kids to be your minions...

DeacDoug
04-10-2012, 09:03 AM
I think he was upset with his performance. He was removed from the game about the 7th inning. Really, 0-3 was no big deal especially with lefty Happ pitching for the Astros' minor leaguers. He puts too much pressure on himself to succeed and dominate.

brianborsch
04-10-2012, 12:27 PM
That may be, but I have heard accounts and read articles/postings about Harper only signing for kids vs. adults. I understand as it is alot cooler if a kid wants your auto as he wants to keep it and cherish it. Lots of adults just want it so they can turn an item of little value, into an item of potentially more value.
For me, as a player, that can be disheartening and I understand why he refuses to sign for adults except maybe at signings. Back in the day it was alittle different. Behaviors have changed with ebay and online auction houses...

OaklandAsFan
04-10-2012, 03:28 PM
its still a flawed type of thinking, first of all the more he floods the market with his sig the less it will be worth. Jason Giambi, even when he was an MVP was an awesome signer and his graph was never worth all that much.

secondly for every 4 kids out there that are getting the graph cause they truly cherish it there are 2 that are just getting it cause their parents or some dealer has paid or somehow otherwise convinced him to get it for them.

Either way there he needs to do a lot of maturing and part of that maturation process is how he handles the public, I think its part of why he did not break camp with the team to start the season.

sox83cubs84
04-10-2012, 04:32 PM
That may be, but I have heard accounts and read articles/postings about Harper only signing for kids vs. adults. I understand as it is alot cooler if a kid wants your auto as he wants to keep it and cherish it. Lots of adults just want it so they can turn an item of little value, into an item of potentially more value.

There are plenty of adults who would want to keep a Harper-signed item, as well....there are also plenty of kids who are hired by dealers to do what they can't...get multiple items signed without setting off a player's radar about resale potential. Players believe this kids good/adults bad stereotype like it came out of the Bible, but it has exceptions at times, also.

Dave Miedema