PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre Game Worn Cleats

Albertville Al
04-10-2012, 04:08 PM
I am new to this collector stuff so bear with me.
My brother-in-law passed away recently and we acquired a good bit of autographed Brett Favre memorabilia he had collected including a pair of autographed game worn cleats.

It turns out that the cleats are from a very special game to our family. The November 16, 2003 game at Tampa Bay. It was during this game that my family was at my father’s bedside in a local hospice. My father was a great Green Bay Packers fan and we all watched this game together. My father fell into unconsciousness during the second half but we kept him apprised of the score and told him that the Packers won the game for him! Dad passed away within minutes of the end of the game.
You can imagine our surprise when we found the cleats and realized they were from THAT GAME!

Anyways, we really don’t know what to do with them. We believe they have considerable value but – is it enough to override the sentimental value my family feels towards them?

So, I guess my question to the forum is: What value would be placed on these cleats? They include a signed letter from Brett Favre and a photo of him signing both cleats. One cleat is also inscribed with the date, 11/16/03; the opponent, Tampa Bay; and the final score, 20-13.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Alan Grossmeier

project 4
04-10-2012, 06:11 PM
I am new to this collector stuff so bear with me.
My brother-in-law passed away recently and we acquired a good bit of autographed Brett Favre memorabilia he had collected including a pair of autographed game worn cleats.

It turns out that the cleats are from a very special game to our family. The November 16, 2003 game at Tampa Bay. It was during this game that my family was at my father’s bedside in a local hospice. My father was a great Green Bay Packers fan and we all watched this game together. My father fell into unconsciousness during the second half but we kept him apprised of the score and told him that the Packers won the game for him! Dad passed away within minutes of the end of the game.
You can imagine our surprise when we found the cleats and realized they were from THAT GAME!
Anyways, we really don’t know what to do with them. We
believe they have considerable value but – is it enough to override the sentimental value my family feels towards them?

So, I guess my question to the forum is: What value would be
placed on these cleats? They include a signed letter from Brett Favre and a photo of him signing both cleats. One cleat is also inscribed with the date,
11/16/03; the opponent, Tampa Bay; and the final score, 20-13.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Alan Grossmeier

It's difficult to place a value on anything sentimental, but from the sound of it it seems as though your ties are not as strong to the item since you would consider letting it go. I know money talks so I would ask how bad do you NEED money? On the other hand i think the memory of your family member
could continue to be carried on in another capacity. With that said, I've seen a Peyton manning auto game used cleats sell around the $2000 mark in the open market. I would guess around that number more or less. Let's see pics!:D

ivo610
04-10-2012, 07:48 PM
2k is a fair estimate. A solid photo match would help as Brett Favre documentation isnt exactly the most rock solid in some cases.

Albertville Al
04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Here are some pictures of the cleats and the letter.
I was wrong the opponent and score are not inscribed on one of the cleats.
I remember seeing it though, probably on one of the other jerseys.

Albertville Al
04-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback.
So, the first question I get from one family member is:
Will they be worth more when he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame?
Any opinions?
The sentimental attachment seems to be fading.

Thanks again,
Al

spartanservitto
04-10-2012, 08:24 PM
No, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Favre is a shoe in. Generally that only works for borderline players who get the title.

-Tony

project 4
04-10-2012, 09:10 PM
No, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Favre is a shoe in. Generally that only works for borderline players who get the title.

-Tony

Good info.

Also I wanted to say that although favre is one of the best ever to play, doesn't he sign and have alot of gamers in the market? IIRC he has his own website where he sells memorabilia. I figure someone like Brady might carry higher value at the end of his career since it seems to me that he doesn't have alot of stuff out there making his stuff more rare. I could be wrong though.

ivo610
04-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback.
So, the first question I get from one family member is:
Will they be worth more when he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame?
Any opinions?
The sentimental attachment seems to be fading.

Thanks again,
Al

It will bring more attention to him thats for sure, but any bump $ wise will be minor imo. Might be different if you had a significant jersey though.

Best advice I can give you is consign it with an auction house that runs an auction at the beginning of the NFL season. Each auction house has its positives and negatives though.

frikativ54
04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Alan,

I will be the dissenter in this thread.

Having had a close family member and relatives die, I know how strong sentimental attachments to items can be. Had I a similar story with one of my game used items, I would hold on to it until the day I died and then bequeath it to my family. Having something from Dad's last football game would mean more to me than just about anything else I'd own.

While you may get $2,000 from a hypothetical auction, what is the money really going to mean? In all likelihood, you'll just spend it on quotidian things. How desperate are you for the cash? Do you have enough money to pay the bills? Do you have medical expenses that you urgently need to take care of? Obviously, you don't need to answer these questions here, but they are things to think about.

Before I would sell the cleats, I would ask yourself which means more: the temporary possession of the money, or the cleats and their symbolic memory? I would also inquire as to whether there is another family member or relative who would be heartbroken if you sold them. After all, you don't want to burn any family bridges in your pursuit of a dime.

Trust me, I've sold items, though nothing this sentimental, and I never remember what I bought with the money. I just feel the pangs of regret not having the item and knowing that I likely won't ever be able to get it back. I'm not trying to tell you what to do; I just would really ponder this before you sell something so sentimental.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

David
04-11-2012, 12:57 PM
I'd say do what you think is best. Your call. There can be a different between personal items and collectibles.

No one in my family collects, and I wouldn't expect them to keep all the stuff I've collected. In fact, I once told a family member where to consign my collection if I died-- making it easier for them to sell.

On the other hand, if I got a baseball signed in person by my favorite players and it was clearly my prized possession, that would be a different item. As opposed to a box of 1988 Donruss baseball cards in storage unit.

Your call. No guilt involved either way, in my opinion.

David
04-11-2012, 01:18 PM
i also agree with the others that the $$ bump when he's elected will likely only be minor. With big stars like Montana, Marino and Jerry Rice the only surprise would be if they weren't elected in their first year, so there is only minor to no boost when they were elected.

swainer
04-12-2012, 10:25 AM
This thread is a perfect example of why I wanted to join the site. Such great opinions/information. You guys should seriously be proud of yourselves and this site!!! Great job and I look forward to being an active contributor for years to come!

John

Albertville Al
04-12-2012, 01:38 PM
We had a talk this weekend regarding the cleats an came to the decision that they will be sold.
We decided that since no one in the family acquired them specifically for the reason we attached to them, and that none of us ever considered a 'shrine' to my honor father's death that we should just look at them as another collectable piece that we will sell.

So, does anyone have a recommendation as to where these can be sold?
Private sale? (advertise where?)
Auction sale? (which auction service?)

We also have a number of other autographed Favre items that are not game worn that we need to sell. These include jerseys, full size helmet, football, and some framed photos. All include COA's. Is there a reputable site to list these for sale or auction? Do you think the same service that handles the cleats would be interested in these?

Thanks so much for your insight, remarks and comments,
Al

Albertville Al
04-18-2012, 02:16 PM
I found a couple of photos of Favre durng the 11/16/03 Bucaneers game that show the 'turf shoes' match what I have as Game Worn items.
I did learn that these are not called 'cleats' but rather 'turf shoes'.

I think I am ready to submit to an auction, unless someone wants to make me an offer I can't refuse.

Al

Skizzick
04-18-2012, 02:29 PM
They seem like a high-ticket enough item to be featured in a big auction. Hunt Auctions does the Superbowl auction every year, and I'm sure they would love to have them.

David
04-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Lelands.com, hugginsandscott.com, legendaryauctions.com are just a few well known and reputable national auction houses that would auction your items, both the shoes and the autographs. They auction both game used and autographs. Someone mentioned Heritage, and they would be go too.

Mulligans
04-18-2012, 06:01 PM
I have listed quite a few items with the Major Auction houses. I find that most of my items (especially shoes) will sell for @ 50 percent less than what I expect Them to sell for. A few weeks later someone will have them on eBay listed with a huge BIN.

Just a word of advice, be careful if these are important to you or you really need the cash. This thread has had hundreds and hundreds of serious football collectors view it and someone will go to you directly if the interest is high.

The other fact to consider is that you need to get it into a book 30 days early.....go through a 30 day auction....and wait 30 days to get paid if all works out perfectly. They will also keep @ 20% for their efforts regardless of what you realize for a price.

I'm not saying don't do it....I'm just saying be cautious as the result is not always what you expect. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

frikativ54
04-18-2012, 08:24 PM
I found a couple of photos of Favre durng the 11/16/03 Bucaneers game that show the 'turf shoes' match what I have as Game Worn items.
I did learn that these are not called 'cleats' but rather 'turf shoes'.

I think I am ready to submit to an auction, unless someone wants to make me an offer I can't refuse.

Al

Are these a photomatch or just a style match?

grosenbrook
04-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Al,
Shoot me an email at gwrosey@bloomer.net

Thanks

Albertville Al
04-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Are these a photomatch or just a style match?

Unfortunately, I don't see any real obvious scuffs or stains on the shoes.
Tough to photo match with little, if any distinguishing marks.

Brett says they're the same ones though. :)

Al

frikativ54
04-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately, I don't see any real obvious scuffs or stains on the shoes.
Tough to photo match with little, if any distinguishing marks.

Brett says they're the same ones though. :)

Al

Good luck. Perhaps you should field offers from eBay. Someone might just surprise you, and you can get the money you were looking for. :)