PDA

View Full Version : taking a break from collecting

Fnazxc0114
04-14-2012, 09:07 PM
what is the longest break you guys have ever taken? I am pretty sure im done collecting. I was thinking of selling everything but dont realy need the money. I store my collection in the game room of my house, and i can honostly say that i have been in that room less than ten times in the last year. Did you ever get tired of collecting, and then sell everything, or did you keep it all when you got tired of it only to start back years later?

ncbadges
04-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I'd LOVE to have some of those Rangers' bats if you decide to sell.;)

ncb

eGameUsed
04-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Fnazcx,

I started collecting when I was 10 years old in 1988. In the last 24 years, I took a break from 1997-1998 when I went to college. I was seriously considering selling all of my collection and did in fact sell a few prized pieces at the time. I regret those sales to this day as I have not been able to get them all back. I am thankful I did not sell everything. You will get the urge again to collect and you will regret having to start over.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks,

coxfan
04-15-2012, 09:13 AM
I regret giving away a lot of things from my past. As the years went on, a lot of these things took on more significance in my mind, making me wish I still had them. One thing I'm glad I saved: the housing letter from UGA that I misunderstood in 1969. As a result, I failed to apply for the housing I wanted correctly. And as a result of that, I lived elsewhere; and that's where I met my future wife of 42 years now! The housing letter that changed our lives and those of our descendants is safely in our files.

All of us need to budget for space as we grow older. I've solved that by going for smaller items (g-u balls) that can be kept on bookshelf edges. And even there, I've become much more selective.

Shipp_96
04-15-2012, 12:40 PM
I initially got into collecting game worn items in 2005, when I won an A's T-Long worn alternate black hat in a silent auction. I then went on to win many items in the A's weekend silent auctions. I started purchasing used bats, jerseys and helmets at their fanfest the following season. I would also buy Raiders worn jerseys from Raider Images.

Then I got married (was engaged during all of this), had to consolidate our now mutual debt and basically sold it all to pay the debt down and to help us move back east. Though I continued to collect/go to training camps and shows to get autographs, I was an erratic collector at best during that time period. I was done with game worn until 2009. So I took a 4 year break.

There was an item or two I regret selling, but none more than a pair of Marshall Faulk worn turf shoes he personally verified were his due to the custom embroidering. But, oh well...what can you do?

Hopefully the bug will bite you and re-energize you to get back into it.

Fnazxc0114
04-15-2012, 02:36 PM
thanks guys. Ill probably hold on to my stuff, and hope the bug bites me again. Ive gone through this with a 56 topps set i have been working on for the better part of 11 years. I only have 7 cards to go, and have been at that number for about four years.