PDA

View Full Version : A Phantom Player's Helmet from a Future Game!

frikativ54
04-16-2012, 04:28 PM
I must say I've never seen such a bizarre listing (http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=181101590&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=181448300) from MLB.com Auctions.

"Bid now to win this helmet worn by Octavio Dotel in the 2011 ALCS Game 3 played against the Texas Rangers on October 11, 2012. . Hologram number FJ 894033."

Where should I start with all the problems?

1) This auction says that the helmet was worn in both the 2011 and 2012 ALCS, the latter date of which has not occurred yet.

2) Unless this auction was written by an oracle divining a future event, Dotel was on St. Louis, not Detroit, for the playoffs.

3) Pitchers don't bat in the ALCS, so the helmet, strictly speaking, cannot be considered game-used.

4) The hologram does not attribute the helmet to any particular player.

Hologram number FJ894033 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BATTING HELMET.
Session Product Description:
Session Name: 2011 ALCS RANGERS @ TIGERS GAME 3
Session Date: October 11, 2011
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: GAME USED BATTING HELMET

EVEN WORSE, THE AUCTION HAS HAD 4 BIDS AND IS UP TO $30. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have contacted MLB.com Auctions, and they have yet to respond or correct the errors.

Dach0sen0ne
04-16-2012, 08:11 PM
It's Wilson Betemit's helmet. Betemit was #20 when the helmet was authenticated. Since they didn't state the players name in the MLB database, Marc probably just looked up #20 on the current roster and saw Dotel. Not his first mistake, won't be his last. You could email him and he'd have it fixed.

jppopma
04-17-2012, 08:20 AM
I've noticed an increase in sloppy listing by the Tigers recently.

Also it drives me crazy to see all of the non gamers (not even issued) that they keep selling in there. They don't say game used or anything, but I always worry that the buyers will not expect that they are; especially based on the bidding I have seen.