PDA

View Full Version : Yankees wearing throwbacks Friday 4/20

BULBUS
04-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Yankees are wearing throwbacks this Friday. I believe it's the first time wearing any kind of variation since 1995. Steiner should be selling these for a pretty penny.

ironmanfan
04-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Yankees are wearing throwbacks this Friday. I believe it's the first time wearing any kind of variation since 1995. Steiner should be selling these for a pretty penny.

what are the throwbacks, the removal of the NY logo on front?

frikativ54
04-18-2012, 11:20 AM
what are the throwbacks, the removal of the NY logo on front?

Flannels? :confused:

MarkakisMania
04-18-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.mlb.com/cutfour/article.jsp?content_id=28925858&c_id=nyy

No flannels at all, see this photo and article.

Jeb

gingi79
04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
I'd like to think this was a great way for long time rivals to honor their history and the tenure of a site on the historical registry. Then I remembered Brandon Steiner has the rights to BOTH Red Sox and Yankees jerseys and saw this charade for the obvious cash grab it is. He never saw a dollar he wouldn't steal from a fan......

joelsabi
04-18-2012, 12:42 PM
wonder how authentic the design is. is it suppose to be a 1912 road jersey as it is suppose to celebrate the 100th anniversary. any photos out there of this jersey back then?

found this photo of the 1903 road highlander jersey. the N and Y were not interlocked on it.

btw, saw they are using old school striped stirrups in the video.

joelsabi
04-18-2012, 12:54 PM
ok they are authentic

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1912_newyork.gif&Entryid=194

slab0meat
04-18-2012, 01:48 PM
I'd like to think this was a great way for long time rivals to honor their history and the tenure of a site on the historical registry. Then I remembered Brandon Steiner has the rights to BOTH Red Sox and Yankees jerseys and saw this charade for the obvious cash grab it is. He never saw a dollar he wouldn't steal from a fan......

Sure the stuff Steiner sells is expensive... but.. going a little overboard?

The Yankees are the farthest thing from a cash grab compared to others.. their jersey hasn't essentially changed in decades, they don't wear Heritage Night type jerseys, don't have an alternate jersey, and when was the last time they agreed to wear a throwback? So.. if two old teams do this (not named the Yankees and Red Sox) it's ok and a tribute, but in this case it's a cash grab?

I just don't see the logic there.

gingi79
04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Sure the stuff Steiner sells is expensive... but.. going a little overboard?

The Yankees are the farthest thing from a cash grab compared to others.. their jersey hasn't essentially changed in decades, they don't wear Heritage Night type jerseys, don't have an alternate jersey, and when was the last time they agreed to wear a throwback? So.. if two old teams do this (not named the Yankees and Red Sox) it's ok and a tribute, but in this case it's a cash grab?

I just don't see the logic there.

Steiner price gauges average fans to make jersey unavailable to nearly any long time fan. He is also a vain and arrogant nobody whose company rose to any sort of level of success by claiming the accomplishments of pro athletes are somehow connected to his company. His big deal? Convincing Mark Messier to sign photocopies of the back page of a NY newspaper because he knew in their hysteria, Ranger fans would buy anything.

In this economy, he actually said that while you could buy a brand new car for the price of one of Jeter's jerseys, the jersey was a better investment. Comments like that make you look like a sniveling road salesman selling "wonder tonic" to cure your ails. Their inflated prices hold a solid 20 to 25% in the secondary market and they have done nothing to benefit this hobby. Anyone remember that ridiculous on tv auction they used to run? Win a Derek Jeter signed ball, normally $500 (Which is price gauging!) for $100! (Fine print not seen until the invoice arrives, the buyers premium was 100%! That's fair and consistent with companies on the up and up, right? I mean I'm sure ALL auction houses would still be in business after pulling that crap....)

Most importantly: They are light years behind authentication in terms of other similar groups like MeiGray or even the flawed MLB Auctions. Buying from them provides you with a hologram but no database to check the number. Who knows if what they are selling is real but reselling it as something more (ala adding numbers, GI becomes GU etc) Some might say that that isn't Steiner's fault. In my opinion, it's their laziness and disinterest in integrity that makes it their fault. Funny how MeiGray has NEVER ONCE had that issue as they allow complete instant access to every tag to check authentication. How hard would it be to just create a database? How about time consuming but easy for any high school computer nerd. Again, they are only hindering the hobby for the money.

One last clarification. I agree 100% that The Yankees aren't the cash grab. However, I have no doubt this jersey was 100% acquired and the idea approved because Steiner would be obtaining them. I'll just never trust the criminal running their game worn jersey program.

joelsabi
04-18-2012, 02:33 PM
getting back to the subject

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=&lowYear=1912&highYear=1912&sort=year&increment=18

how about other possible road jersey from other american league teams. seems that other teams are coming aboard with approval from their respective teams. the oakland team will use the, back then, philadelphia a's road jersey at a game this year.

what other jersey would you like to see from these 1912 jerseys

kellsox
04-18-2012, 02:48 PM

I know nothing about any arrangement(or lack of) between the red sox and Steiner with these jerseys. However, in most instances when the red sox wear special jersey designs, the jerseys are usually auctioned by the red sox foundation( their charity) through MLB.com. This was the case last year when they wore the plain whites vs the cubs and this year with st pattys day green jerseys.

DonFan23
04-18-2012, 08:17 PM
It's my understanding that the Sox and Steiner no longer have an ongoing contract. Whether they have any current player exclusives where they'd get Sox equipment or uniforms purchased by the player, I do not know.

So far as the "cash grab" - Steiner would have no influence over the creation of the throwbacks. They're a creation of MLB Properties and the Sox.

While Steiner may be able to be a beneficiary down the line from many items having to do with the commemoration of the 100th Annivesary of Fenway (and many other things) - and some may even argue that Steiner's past market success may have in fact spurred on Properties to manufacture more and more commemorative events and items over the years - the fact is that in situations like this (assuming they do get the Yankees' throwbacks), Steiner is simply retailing someone else's creation.