PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan Game Used Jersey in Mears Auction

CPuente57
04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Any thoughts on this?

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=47421&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=117&seo=1989-90-Michael-Jordan-Chicago-Bulls-Game-Worn-Signed-Jersey-w%2f-vintage-autograph---%28MEARS-Authentic

MikeA23
04-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Looks really good.. I think someone on this forum once owned it..

sox83cubs84
04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
MEARS has somebody's holy grail here. Great jersey with proper Sand-Knit sizing...MJ didn't go to 46 + 3" until Champion took over the NBA uniform contract.

Dave Miedema

worldchamps
04-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Is the year tag in the right spot, all the pictures I found online of other jerseys had the year tag higher and 3 "??

sportscentury
04-25-2012, 05:31 AM
Looks really good.. I think someone on this forum once owned it..

The jersey is owned by former GUU member, Stephen Orso. Do you know him?

nickacs
04-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Is the year tag in the right spot, all the pictures I found online of other jerseys had the year tag higher and 3 "??

I actually emailed Troy about this over the weekend and he said it's not a problem, as he's seen it all kinds of ways. Although, if you Google search 1989 MJ auction jerseys, you'll get 5 or 6 auctions in the last several years where the +2/+3 has been near the top of the 'Designed' tag. Odd, but I guess it's ok.

Is this from Stephen Orso? He's the one that had the 89 MJ in MEAR's last auction in March and Troy pulled it when I asked him the source. Orso also emailed me several times previously wanting me to buy it after it was pulled. The current jersey is not the same exact jersey, but Troy did say this past weekend that the consignor said the current jersey "originated from a famous person". However, Troy confirmed it did not originate from a famous source, but stated it's still a good piece and that since the auction came up quick, he didn't have time to MEARS grade it.

IMO, if it's from Orso again, I dunno. Vintage sig is nice tho.

Good luck on the bidding! Already $9k!

Mulligans
04-25-2012, 11:33 AM
The jersey is owned by former GUU member, Stephen Orso. Do you know him?

Stephen has been trolling the Forum, Ebay etc. for years under multiple emails and Alaises. He likes the high end GU items.:rolleyes:

jordanhigh69
04-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Interesting! So, the provenance trail is either unknown or the owner/auction house is unwilling to disclose it.....or there are discrepancies on the jersey's "story"? I can tell you one thing I noticed right off the bat about charcateristics of the sig on the jersey that Michael HIMSELF told me personally, but that will be kept between me and MJ, as it was shared in confidence. Can't this jersey be photo-matched with the unique markings found around it? I don't get it.

Steve

sportscentury
04-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Stephen has been trolling the Forum, Ebay etc. for years under multiple emails and Alaises. He likes the high end GU items.:rolleyes:

Correct -- he has been banned from both GUU and eBay multiple times.

sportscentury
04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
I actually emailed Troy about this over the weekend and he said it's not a problem, as he's seen it all kinds of ways. Although, if you Google search 1989 MJ auction jerseys, you'll get 5 or 6 auctions in the last several years where the +2/+3 has been near the top of the 'Designed' tag. Odd, but I guess it's ok.

Is this from Stephen Orso? He's the one that had the 89 MJ in MEAR's last auction in March and Troy pulled it when I asked him the source. Orso also emailed me several times previously wanting me to buy it after it was pulled. The current jersey is not the same exact jersey, but Troy did say this past weekend that the consignor said the current jersey "originated from a famous person". However, Troy confirmed it did not originate from a famous source, but stated it's still a good piece and that since the auction came up quick, he didn't have time to MEARS grade it.

IMO, if it's from Orso again, I dunno. Vintage sig is nice tho.

Good luck on the bidding! Already $9k!

Orso emailed me repeatedly, as well as a friend, trying to get both of us to bid on it. He told us that he consigned it. I trust little of what he says, but that is what he told us.

nickacs
04-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Orso emailed me repeatedly, as well as a friend, trying to get both of us to bid on it. He told us that he consigned it. I trust little of what he says, but that is what he told us.

Yea, I didn't know who the heck he was emailing me back in late Feb/early March with the 1st 1989 MJ he was consigning that later in my discussion with Troy, he pulled. I have no clue how he even knows me/emailed me, but I presume he is still "trolling" this forum looking for all GUU members who probably once posted about MJ jerseys. LMAO! :rolleyes:
Guess you, your friend and I, as well as numerous other GUU members were emailed by him.

After that one was pulled citing the incorrect owner/originator of that MJ 1989 jersey, he emailed me twice after saying I should buy it outright from him. Fat chance buddy!

That's why I was surprised to see ANOTHER MJ 1989 jersey in the very next MEARS auction (the current one) and asked Troy about it and why no MEARS grade letter. I stated above in my earlier post why Troy didn't, but it still concerns me.

The jersey is current at $9k still... Ooofa.. That's $9k buying an unknown jersey IMO... The jersey style matches 2 Getty images and another site I found, but to pinpoint an exact game photomatch is next to impossible unless you had every single 80+ games that year and HD quality images. That's why I love Meigray, if they could do it!

gorilla777
04-26-2012, 01:10 PM
The bidding got pretty aggressive soon after this thread started, from what I saw. And that lead bidder is paying now about $11k all in too.

mmonte4
05-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Looks like Mears has even more MJ items this month. I remember GF once had a pair of the UNC shorts but forgot what they went for. Anyone remember?

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/catalog.aspx?category=117

legaleagle92481
05-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Eh. Anything Jordan I would not touch with a 10 foot pole. There are just so many fakes and the prices on even questionable stuff are so high that it is just not worth it. I am a huge basketball fan but I have consigned myself to the fact that some jerseys I will just never own and Jordan is on that list. The only way I would consider one is if it was from UDA or consigned directly by him to an auction.