PDA

View Full Version : 1975 Willie Stargell Game Used Jersey in Heritage Auctions

hrvatwill
04-24-2012, 07:06 PM
I would be interested in anybody's opinion on the away Stargell GU jersey in Heritage's auction below. I own a Pirates GU jersey from 1973, however, it is a home jersey, and the one in the auction that I am looking at is an away.

The home jerseys were made by Rawlings while the away's were made by Wilson, that much I know. However, the number, size and year swatch is by the Wilson tag on the bottom right on the jersey in the auction, whereas on another thread, a member mentioned that he had a 1976 away jersey with the swatch in the neck. My main question is, is this just a year-to-year difference?

Would be grateful for any insights offered. If you like, you can e-mail me at hrvatwill@aol.com. Thanks!

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7051&lotNo=81541&lotIdNo=128005

sox83cubs84
04-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Looks to be a year-to-year difference. That Stargell jersey looks solid. Plus, if I recall, the other set of Stargell's 75 road shirts is also in the auction, with identical tagging, but a number change...something you wouldn't see if someone were to forge a jersey.

Dave Miedema

cohibasmoker
04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Found a couple of 1975 Images

cohibasmoker
04-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Looks to be a year-to-year difference. That Stargell jersey looks solid. Plus, if I recall, the other set of Stargell's 75 road shirts is also in the auction, with identical tagging, but a number change...something you wouldn't see if someone were to forge a jersey.

Dave Miedema

Dave, Does it looks like the #8 on the back of the offered jersey look different from the #8 in the Getty image?

hrvatwill
04-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Dave, Does it looks like the #8 on the back of the offered jersey look different from the #8 in the Getty image?

The Getty Images are of Stargell in a home jersey made by Rawlings, whereas the jersey in the auction is an away made by Wilson. That may account for any difference.

hrvatwill
04-24-2012, 09:05 PM

Thanks for your posts. If you look at this 1970's home Stargell being auctioned in the Heritage auction, it looks like the "8" might match the one in the Getty Images that you posted. Do you agree? Would be interested/grateful for your thoughts, as well as Dave Miedema's. Thanks!

hrvatwill
04-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for your posts. If you look at this 1970's home Stargell being auctioned in the Heritage auction, it looks like the "8" might match the one in the Getty Images that you posted. Do you agree? Would be interested/grateful for your thoughts, as well as Dave Miedema's. Thanks!

Darn, forgot the link!

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7051&lotNo=81538#Photo

sox83cubs84
04-24-2012, 10:36 PM
The Getty Images are of Stargell in a home jersey made by Rawlings, whereas the jersey in the auction is an away made by Wilson. That may account for any difference.

I am in agreement with your reasoning.

Dave M.

flaco1801
04-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Those early 70's shirts were used and abused in the minors or at spring training...i remember either h
H
artel or one of the other bulk dealers had tons of them...

sox83cubs84
04-25-2012, 06:30 PM

Stargell in a size 40? I don't think so.

Dave Miedema

hrvatwill
04-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Stargell in a size 40? I don't think so.

Dave Miedema

It says in the description that it was misstagged and is a size 44 and that this was common at that time. I've seen other knits from the era that are misstagged. One was a Bob Skinner that was a 46 but tagged as a 40. So I think it's at least plausible.

sox83cubs84
04-25-2012, 09:48 PM
It says in the description that it was misstagged and is a size 44 and that this was common at that time. I've seen other knits from the era that are misstagged. One was a Bob Skinner that was a 46 but tagged as a 40. So I think it's at least plausible.

Rawlings did occasionally do that back then. If they cite measurements that support a size 44, then I'd be inclined to reconsider my original thoughts.

Dave Miedema