PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hats

yanks12025
04-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know when the Yankees used New Era hats in the 1970's, and when they used the Pro KM's. Thanks

Tallyman77
04-26-2012, 05:34 PM
The Yankees used New Era caps all through the 70's, but at the same time used KM Pro caps from 1970 through 1976 and Roman Pro from 1977-1980. This is one reason pre-1981 Yankee caps are highly sought after.

-Walt

Tallyman77

Evergreen7777@att.net

xpress34
04-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Don't forget that while teams were using KM Pro, McAuliffe, Wilson, etc... New Era was making almost every hat since sometime in the late 60's/early 70's and doing 'Private Label' work for the other companies.

Once the 5950 hat was introduced in 1954, it became an instant hit throughout baseball.

- Smitty

Insomniac186
04-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Don't forget that while teams were using KM Pro, McAuliffe, Wilson, etc... New Era was making almost every hat since sometime in the late 60's/early 70's and doing 'Private Label' work for the other companies.

Once the 5950 hat was introduced in 1954, it became an instant hit throughout baseball.

- Smitty

New Era made the later Spalding caps (from what it looks like to me) and they also made the visors and crowns for Wilson caps. I know that much. McAuliffe/KM Pro caps were usually made by the Leslie Corporation. When Leslie went bankrupt in 1977, KM Pro went down with them (the McAuliffe name had been gone from caps since 1969). Roman Pro and Devon were born out of their ashes (both companies used Leslie's old machinery). However, none of them could compete with New Era.

It was McAuliffe/KM/Leslie that designed the first modern, stiff-fronted cap. I believe the first team to use it was the Braves in the 30s. The Ebbets Field Flannels caps are made to replicate that look, which they did so by examining a McAuliffe Indians cap from the 50s. California Custom Caps and Bobcat Athletic also use the same pattern when they supply caps for Negro League/Turn Back The Clock games if New Era isn't able.

But on the subject, I'm surprised that the Yankees used all of those at the same time. There are slight differences in the logos between the brands. However, I know that Roman used the same logo pattern that KM did since Roman did KM's embroidery before becoming a cap company.