PDA

View Full Version : Gary Sheffield Bat Help

packfan84
04-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Hi,

I bought this bat last year from a guy that did a private signing with Sheff and ended up with some of his bats. I picked this one up and have had trouble finding pics of Sheff using this color bat. I found two. The other thing that bugs me is the writing on the knob. Sheff never wore #32 and it appears to be the writing of a female. Would that be common?

There are a couple of ball marks on it and the weird markings on the back side of that bat. What do you guys think of this? Thanks in advance!

suave1477
04-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Looks like a game issued bat. Maybe he took a swing or 2 with it but most likely just game issued. As from what it looks like no tape job on the handle. Sheff is nortorious for a huge tape job on the knob.

BULBUS
04-27-2012, 09:37 AM
The "32 Shefield" was written on the knob at the Rawlings factory. 32 is the weight of the bat, 32 ounces. The bat should have Sheffs typical tape on the handle.

packfan84
04-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the response. Definitely no taping. Can you tell me what these marks are on the backside of the barrell?

Thanks for clearing up the writing on the knob. I have a Joe Mauer game issued bat that has the same writing on the knob. Almost looks like the same hand writing

suave1477
04-30-2012, 02:02 PM
I would say the marks look like the bat was leaning against something and rolling back and forth. Like the on the floor of a car or the trunk of a car. Maybe the bottom of a closet. They dont look like Baseball related marks but I could be wrong. I would say maybe rack marks, but usually those are up and down the bat not small scrapes side to side.