PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Auctions 1980 Reggie Jackson

hrvatwill
05-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Any thoughts on this 1980 Jackson gamer? The Wilson tag on the front left and name, year and set swatch in the neck look correct to me from an orientation and detail perspective. However, I remember a thread on here about the "font" used on the swatch, with one Jackson in particular being incorrect, and wondered whether this one passed muster. Plus, there are so many Jackson's on offer right now, that it's practically "raining Reggie", so it seems caution may be in order. Would be grateful for esteemed member's opinions. You can PM if you like, as I accept messages.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7051&lotNo=81499&lotIdNo=42022

sox83cubs84
05-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Any thoughts on this 1980 Jackson gamer? The Wilson tag on the front left and name, year and set swatch in the neck look correct to me from an orientation and detail perspective. However, I remember a thread on here about the "font" used on the swatch, with one Jackson in particular being incorrect, and wondered whether this one passed muster. Plus, there are so many Jackson's on offer right now, that it's practically "raining Reggie", so it seems caution may be in order. Would be grateful for esteemed member's opinions. You can PM if you like, as I accept messages.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7051&lotNo=81499&lotIdNo=42022

That one's a tough call. If I had the jersey in hand, I'd want to see if the neck had been "opened". By that I mean an inconsistency in the thread stroke underneath the tag area in comparison to the areas near the shoulder tops. Forgers will often need to open the neck (break the stitching) in order to insert the collar tag and try to make it look good, since Wilson tagging in the placket of a button down/zip-front jersey of this vintage did not have the collar strip tag sewn through both layers of fabric...just the top layer.

Dave Miedema

hrvatwill
05-02-2012, 03:03 PM
That one's a tough call. If I had the jersey in hand, I'd want to see if the neck had been "opened". By that I mean an inconsistency in the thread stroke underneath the tag area in comparison to the areas near the shoulder tops. Forgers will often need to open the neck (break the stitching) in order to insert the collar tag and try to make it look good, since Wilson tagging in the placket of a button down/zip-front jersey of this vintage did not have the collar strip tag sewn through both layers of fabric...just the top layer.

Dave Miedema

Many thanks for that interestingly detailed perspective, Dave.