PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper's 1st Home Run Ball!!!!

NFLELCollector
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Assuming someone is Lucky enough (Right Place at the Right Time) to Catch or Retrieve BRYCE HARPER'S 1ST HOMERUN BALL,
What would you ask for from BH or the Nationals for the Return of said
ball to BH???? Or would you Just Give it back to him, Or Just Not give it back to him????

frikativ54
05-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I would give it back to him in exchange for a photograph with myself, Harper, and the ball in question.

rdeversole
05-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I would attempt to trade the ball for the bat or jersey.

yanks12025
05-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Like rdever said I'd ask for the bat or jersey, if not given either one I'll keep the ball.

moo5100@yahoo.com
05-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I would trade it for a jersey, bat and Strasburg jersey. All signed ;)

BaseballGM
05-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I would immediately autograph it with my name and give it to him. I'd tell him - no charge. ;)

maverick14
05-10-2012, 08:26 PM
I would immediately autograph it with my name and give it to him. I'd tell him - no charge. ;)

HAHAHA...........I agree with others--ball for the bat or jersey he used when hitting it and signed or keep the ball

DUTCH613
05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
First born... If he didn't oblige, I would settle for a signed game worn jersey, signed GU bat and the number of his hairdresser. ;)
-Ryan

NFLELCollector
05-10-2012, 09:40 PM
@DUTCH613/RYAN:His Hair Stylist is his Sister, and I am sure i can get you an appointment to see her Here in Las Vegas! LOL

marino13
05-10-2012, 10:24 PM
I will take the bat that he hit it with!

Have to photomatched it first before I hand the baseball over!

:D

OaklandAsFan
05-11-2012, 12:51 AM
I am usually one for trading a HR ball for a gamer or two but this guy just really rubs me the wrong way and is such a douche I may just think about refusing to trade it to him or taking him to the cleaners for it.

happyyoungster
05-11-2012, 07:10 AM
I'm going to stay out of this one...
:p

frikativ54
05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm going to stay out of this one...
:p

LOL! :D

sox83cubs84
05-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I am usually one for trading a HR ball for a gamer or two but this guy just really rubs me the wrong way and is such a douche I may just think about refusing to trade it to him or taking him to the cleaners for it.

That's kind of where I'm at...though it won't happen here in Chicago, as the Nats made their only visit of the year to open the season.

Dave Miedema

OaklandAsFan
05-12-2012, 02:20 AM
what a complete and total jackass, 10 stitches over his left eye because he took a bat down into the tunnel tonight and threw a big temper tantrum and swung the bat against the wall and it came back and hit him.

kellsox
05-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Idiot- couple more inches and it could have been a career threatening injury and be done at 19.

BergerKing22784
05-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Hey Bryce Harper when you get angry you go blow off steam. When you go blow off steam accidents happen. When accidents happen you end up with 10 stitches. When you get 10 stitches pitchers think your tough. When pitchers wanna see how tough you are you end up with a fastball to the elbow. When you end up with a fastball to the elbow you end up on the DL. Don't end up on the DL.

yankees506
05-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Hey Bryce Harper when you get angry you go blow off steam. When you go blow off steam accidents happen. When accidents happen you end up with 10 stitches. When you get 10 stitches pitchers think your tough. When pitchers wanna see how tough you are you end up with a fastball to the elbow. When you end up with a fastball to the elbow you end up on the DL. Don't end up on the DL.

Directv sucks but this was epic. :D

5toolplayer
05-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Let's not forget this kid is 19. I was doing some pretty retarded stuff at that age, like I'm sure most of you were. Live and learn. Bryce will be fine

OaklandAsFan
05-13-2012, 05:27 PM
most of us weren't 19 years old with multimillion dollar contracts that could have potentially ruined their careers with one act of stupidity. BIG difference between the average 19 year old and a guy like Bryce.

5toolplayer
05-13-2012, 11:24 PM
So Bryce should act more like a 30 year old because he's 19, has had the entire world kissing his as* since he was probably 9, been on the cover of SI at age 16... Yeah I could see how he would be a responsible acting mature kid now that he's in the big leagues at age 19. :rolleyes: Just because the kid is a millionaire DOES NOT mean he'll grow up faster then any other kid on the planet. Kids will be kids and do stupid stuff no mater how much money they have!!

OaklandAsFan
05-13-2012, 11:32 PM
so your Scott Boras, The GM or the Nats, the rest of the Nats teammates or anyone else is his posse of handlers. He ends his career because of a childish temper tantrum. All those people just shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, kids will be kids" I stick to my initial statement, he is NOT like the average 19 year old and he, rightfully so, should be held to a higher standard.

5toolplayer
05-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Did you see his managers comments about it??? Maybe you should take a minute to watch that. But hey maybe all of his "posse" are wrong and they should contact Game Used Universe members to see what's really going on with this kid.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21362621&c_id=mlb

Ps.. calling him a "complete and total jackass" is a little different then saying he should be held to a higher standard. Don't ya think???? :rolleyes:

marzomarz
05-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Would love to have that bat though.

maverick14
05-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Harper just hit one out the park. Not able to see the game, did a fan get the ball or did it land in an empty space??

DJaeger22
05-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Landed on some grass.

NFLELCollector
05-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Watching the Game on Fox Sports Net San Diego,
I didnt see any "Fans" attempting to retrieve the Baseball.
On the Replay you can See what appears to be 2 Ushers/Stadium Employees standing on the Stairs just to the Left of the Grassy Area where the ball landed. I would guess that 1 of them retrieved the ball.
Nats Park, Like many other MLB parks have certain areas that are Not Accessible to Fans, Unfortunately it appears that BH hit his HR in one of these areas!!!! Still it was GREAT to see it LIVE-He Smoked that Ball!!!!

flota89
05-14-2012, 07:58 PM
I find this thread to be a bit ridiculous. Harper is a great player. He's probably going to be good for years, and he's always been highly touted. And the best part ... he is 19.

So because he is so good and so young, he is a jerk and an immature little demon? Ok.

I guess I've never seen Prince Fielder, Matt Holliday, Yadier Molina or any other older star bang a bat on a bench or dugout wall.

The whole Harper thing is just a situation of thousands of people watching, almost hoping and waiting, for him to mess up. Makes no sense to me.

:rolleyes:

yanks12025
05-14-2012, 08:02 PM
How is he a great player? He has 52 career at-bats, how is that great!

OaklandAsFan
05-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Really?!?!?! I curtain call for his first HR???? what a joke, just proves how badly the fans in Washington want SOMETHING to cheer about.

OaklandAsFan
05-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I find this thread to be a bit ridiculous. Harper is a great player. He's probably going to be good for years, and he's always been highly touted. And the best part ... he is 19.

So because he is so good and so young, he is a jerk and an immature little demon? Ok.

I guess I've never seen Prince Fielder, Matt Holliday, Yadier Molina or any other older star bang a bat on a bench or dugout wall.

The whole Harper thing is just a situation of thousands of people watching, almost hoping and waiting, for him to mess up. Makes no sense to me.

:rolleyes:

most of the time you see players throw temper tantrums they hit things that have some give like benches and water coolers. Not walls.

OaklandAsFan
05-14-2012, 08:18 PM
oh yes, while we are on the subject of the "greatness" of Bryce I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon,

Now selling my game used futures baseball from last year signed by Bryce. He has 1 HR in his career along with one possibly career threatening temper tantrum. Can only get better from here. First $10,000 takes it!!!

flota89
05-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Thank you for proving why I usually stay out of these threads.

Bryce Harper is an idiot because of the material in which he chooses to take his anger out on. :D

That's all.

AutographAddiction
05-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Well, his first home run has been hit--dead center. Did anyone see a fan get the ball? I didn't see a fan jump the fence to grab the ball in the grass... Any stories, yet?

marzomarz
05-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I was at the game. No one jumped the fence. Only in Washington. I think somewhere else, and they definitely try. No one even really stood up out there or made a move for it. A minute or so after it was hit, a security guard wearing a yellow coat walked down the stairs and stood by the railing. Looked like he was talking to someone on his radio. I grew bored watching and went back to the game.

AutographAddiction
05-14-2012, 11:17 PM
I was at the game. No one jumped the fence. Only in Washington. I think somewhere else, and they definitely try. No one even really stood up out there or made a move for it. A minute or so after it was hit, a security guard wearing a yellow coat walked down the stairs and stood by the railing. Looked like he was talking to someone on his radio. I grew bored watching and went back to the game.

valuable info.
I wish I would have been in DC tonight to be the one to hop that fence...

jake33
05-15-2012, 03:17 PM
I am kind of with Mike (OAKLAND A's Fan), even though I am not sure what the right answer is on this.

But regardless of beign Bryce Harper, I am loyal to my favorite team and don't really care about the rest of the league. So, if I caught a historic baseball from any team I would cash in. With basically one sale, I would cover the cost of a lifetime of game used collecting and losses within the industry.

But, if I caught Evan Longoria's 3000th hit when he is making $38,500,000 in the final year of a 9 year deal in 2025 for the Yankees hitting .243, I'd probably give him the ball back. And I don't even like Longoria, but will be appreciatve for his years in Tampa Bay.

frikativ54
05-16-2012, 12:58 PM
I've noticed recently that people on GUU have been up in arms over the "entitled" attitudes of kids at baseball games. How players toss them balls, how players only sign for them, how they beg and receive balls, et cetera.

But nobody seems to rail against what I would call the entitled attitudes of home run ball catchers. While the home run baseball is the catcher's property, that doesn't mean he or she is owed a valuable game used item in exchange.

Yes, the ball catcher can sell it on the open market for some money, depending upon the provenance. But I would never be under the illusion, one that plagues certain ballhawks, that I have some special talent that needs to be handsomely compensated, just because I can catch a ball.

sox83cubs84
05-16-2012, 09:58 PM
I've noticed recently that people on GUU have been up in arms over the "entitled" attitudes of kids at baseball games. How players toss them balls, how players only sign for them, how they beg and receive balls, et cetera.

But nobody seems to rail against what I would call the entitled attitudes of home run ball catchers. While the home run baseball is the catcher's property, that doesn't mean he or she is owed a valuable game used item in exchange.

Yes, the ball catcher can sell it on the open market for some money, depending upon the provenance. But I would never be under the illusion, one that plagues certain ballhawks, that I have some special talent that needs to be handsomely compensated, just because I can catch a ball.

+1

Dave Miedema

CollectGU
05-16-2012, 10:16 PM

They are not owed an item in return, but they have every right to ask for a game used item back if the player wants the ball. It's bartering 101, They have somehting that a a monetary value in the sports memorabila market AND an emotional value (possibly to the player) and they have evry right to leverage that for a G/U item, just like the player has every right to say"no, too steep for me, keep it".....The fact that they caught it entitles them to barter if the player wants it...

BaseballGM
05-19-2012, 07:19 PM
The Nats have a game used shop set up for the first time this year. They had a Harper alternate blue curly W jersey on sale for $5,000. Same for the Zimmerman jersey.

5toolplayer
05-20-2012, 04:06 AM
:eek: Not surprised. Did everyone see the Harper bat that just ended for 1800+ on ebay :eek: Someone will buy the jersey and post it on the June pick ups thread

frikativ54
05-20-2012, 03:51 PM
:eek: Not surprised. Did everyone see the Harper bat that just ended for 1800+ on ebay :eek: Someone will buy the jersey and post it on the June pick ups thread

+1. When one game worn Yankee jerseys can fetch $5,000, why not charge the same for a Bryce Harper jersey? While the prices are nuts, what's to stop a seller or a stadium vendor, if someone is crazy enough to pay that price?

5toolplayer
05-20-2012, 04:48 PM
+1. When one game worn Yankee jerseys can fetch $5,000, why not charge the same for a Bryce Harper jersey? While the prices are nuts, what's to stop a seller or a stadium vendor, if someone is crazy enough to pay that price?

+2 :D

allstarsplus
05-20-2012, 07:28 PM
The Nats have a game used shop set up for the first time this year. They had a Harper alternate blue curly W jersey on sale for $5,000. Same for the Zimmerman jersey.

That is also a jersey worn for only ONE game as it was Military Appreciation night. He did hit a triple but that is a steep price. I'd personally go for it if he had he hit a Home Run.

xpress34
05-25-2012, 08:02 AM

Frik -

I have addressed the ballhawk/ball catcher issue before on a previous thread and the elitist/entitled attitudes some have.

One issue that truly irks me is the idea that not only should they get something from the player that hit the HR, they also want something from another player? That IMHO is disrespectful to the player that hit the HR. He is the ONLY person who should be getting asked for stuff - within reason.

I retrieved Eric Young, Jr's 1st (and still only) MLB HR at Coors Field in 2009 and all I wanted was to give him the ball personally in exchange for a GU AU ball from the game. I know plenty of Coors Field 'ballhawks' who were all over me that I asked for 'so little' in exchange. I can tell you that I have since acquired both the uniform and helmet he was wearing when he hit the HR, but I am considering selling the uniform. I don't believe it would have given me anymore satisfaction if EY had given it to me himself. I get plenty of satisfaction from the ball he signed that is inscribed - Thanks for retrieving my HR.

- Smitty

xpress34
05-25-2012, 08:07 AM

Wonder if MLB had a hand in setting the price. I say that because through talks with Aaron who runs the GU at Coors Field (which is also a first year deal this year), he is having issues with MLB when they authenticate stuff trying to tell him what prices to sell stuff for - even though it's OWNED by the Rockies and not MLB.

Case in point. Aaron is trying to keep $500 as the highest price point this year to gauge the interest of casual fans - not people like myself and my friends who have already spent lots of cash there.

MLB has told him that is too low (no pun intended) for Tulo. They want him to ask $2,000 for Tulo GU Jerseys and Bats and he won't give in.

I'm hoping it doesn't make MLB reluctant to sticker and authenticate items for him, but I appreciate him sticking to his plan to see how it goes.

- Smitty

OaklandAsFan
05-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Smitty,

I'm hearing the same stuff from the guy who runs the auction and GU sales in the store at Chase Field.

BaseballGM
06-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Yesterday, i stopped by the Nat's game used stand. I asked about the $5k Harper jersey as it wasn't being displayed anymore. They said they sold not 1 but 2 Harper jerseys for $5,000 each. :eek:

frikativ54
06-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Yesterday, i stopped by the Nat's game used stand. I asked about the $5k Harper jersey as it wasn't being displayed anymore. They said they sold not 1 but 2 Harper jerseys for $5,000 each. :eek:

If Harper flames out, someone will have lost a serious chunk of change. I've never been one for high stakes gambling, which is why I've invested only 1/10 of the money in my Justin Smoak collection as I have in my Bagwell items.

Yeah, Bryce Harper is seen as "can't miss," but what if he suffers a career-ending injury? Or gets killed in a car accident? The point is that you are paying for the jersey of an unproven ballplayer.

chakes89
06-09-2012, 02:35 AM
Or gets killed in a car accident?

Throw it on eBay and get double the price you paid?

LastingsMilledge85
06-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Or gets killed in a car accident?
This is all that comes to mind... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vIZbDa__1o