PDA

View Full Version : Diplay informational placecards

CampWest
05-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I did not feel like working on the work I brought home from work this morning, nor like yardwork. So instead I worked on some of my game used bat photo composites and then decided to design an informational placecard to use with my displayed game used items that are photomatched, unique, historic, etc.

The topic of informational placecards for displays has come up several times before, so figured I'd share where I was at on this project.

I've created this template in Word. Size is 2.5" x 3.5", which is baseball card size. I figured the size could allow me to place them in baseball card holders and on baseball card stands.

Clearly, I am not a graphic designer, so these are nothing too fancy. I am considering adding team logo or maybe a small picture of the item, but for now this is where I am, pretty basic and simple...

I'd love to see any samples of what others have created or here any ideas or feedback on my work in progress.

CampWest
05-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Not sure why I thought Word was a good idea... I switched to Photoshop, here is my new design...

RaiderNationPDX
05-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Some (low-res) examples of placards I've created for items; I use standard sizes for each type of item that are meant to fit inside their respective cases/cubes. Had a free afternoon a year or so back, so like you're doing, I whipped up something to give my collection a more put-together look.

Jersey placards are 5.5" x 8.5", football is 2" x 7" and baseball is 2.875" x 0.75".

I put the career bio of the player with the jersey for the simple fact that most all of them elicit a reaction of "who the f*** is that?" from people seeing it. On my budget, I'm not exactly buying first-stringers.

schillingfan
05-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Great idea guys.

I decided to whip something up really quick for my latest pick up. Nowhere close to being done but it's a start.

http://curtschillingcollector.com/schillingsmall.jpg

kylehess10
05-13-2012, 12:32 PM
I use placecards for everything in my collection. Ever since I first started adding them to my cases, it changes the look dramatically and can give a more museum-like look to it.

http://i45.tinypic.com/ydmjl.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/21jp3sk.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/1yr13p.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/14l0ze8.jpg

5toolplayer
05-13-2012, 12:58 PM
All of these look excellent!! Great job guys

CampWest
06-05-2012, 06:30 PM
I actually got something done in a reasonable time frame...

Last Friday I uploaded and ordered a printout of a first test. I was able to fit eight 2.5"x3.5" placecards on a single 8.5x11" print.

I printed at MPIX.com for $3.99 on metallic paper. And I had the print mounted on single weight matboard for an extra $3.50, so all told, roughly $7.50 in the placecards, or 94 cents each.

I then had to cut the individual cards out of the sheet with a crummy old paper cutter. I would recommend not leaving the white space between the cards, as it makes trimming a tad more challenging.

The single weight matboard was a good call, though it made trimming a bit more difficult it definitely will aid in mounting the placecard or displaying it on a baseball card stand.

maverick14
06-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Metallic paper was definitely the way to go, makes it look a lot cleaner and professional.
Colors look good too, as the grey looks chrome-ish from the paper.
Nice work!!

marzomarz
06-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Can you post or email the template you used?

joelsabi
06-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I actually got something done in a reasonable time frame...

I printed at MPIX.com for $3.99 on metallic paper. And I had the print mounted on single weight matboard for an extra $3.50, so all told, roughly $7.50 in the placecards, or 94 cents each.

The single weight matboard was a good call, though it made trimming a bit more difficult it definitely will aid in mounting the placecard or displaying it on a baseball card stand.

does MPIC.com mail out the order? do you have the link to the metallic paper you used? thanks in advance

Can you post or email the template you used?

i would like the template also if possible. did you use a Word document format or something supplied by mpic.com

CampWest
06-06-2012, 04:18 PM
does MPIC.com mail out the order? do you have the link to the metallic paper you used? thanks in advance

i would like the template also if possible. did you use a Word document format or something supplied by mpic.com

Actually I used Photoshop to create JPGs that I could send to the photo printer... My wife thinks I should have used PowerPoint, oh well.

Here is a link to mpix.com and their paper and print options. MPIX is a retail division of Miller Professional Imaging, which is a very highly respected print shop for professional photographers, dating back to like the 1930s and not just website a digital printer running in the corner.

Lets just say, MPIX is incredible. I uploaded and ordered about 10 prints (including these placecards, some Hawaiian landscapes, etc) on Friday around 11am, they were in the mail Friday afternoon and on my doorstep Saturday afternoon.

Their shipping and packaging can't be beat, especially my big poster size prints they cover in foam wrap, then plastic wrap then tape to a cardboard sheet and place in a larger box. I am always amazed at how fast and safely they ship. And their quality, especially on something like a 20x30 landscape is better than any other printer I've used.

Anyhow, thats my testimonial on mpix, here is the link I said I was providing a couple paragraphs ago.

http://www.mpix.com/products/prints/#papers

As for the template, I don't mind sharing it. I need to clean up a couple things first, then I'll send it out. But it will only work if you have Photoshop, because its is .PSD file which is a Photoshop Project extension. You have to save as a .jpg before sending to the print shop.

marzomarz
06-06-2012, 08:21 PM
I have photoshop

RaiderNationPDX
06-08-2012, 01:10 AM
This thread inspired me to update the look of my placards; include some more information about the item and give it a more put-together look. Had another free weekend last week, so came up with this...

http://www.alex-d-burson.com/Football_2008-PresentRaiders09.jpg

gnishiyama
06-08-2012, 10:41 AM
campwest,
Do you think 3x5-8x10 photos will come out better from MPIX than your
ordinary instant photo Kodak kiosk that they have at CVS, Cosco, etc?
Thanks

esquiresports
06-08-2012, 06:41 PM
This thread inspired me to update the look of my placards; include some more information about the item and give it a more put-together look. Had another free weekend last week, so came up with this...

http://www.alex-d-burson.com/Football_2008-PresentRaiders09.jpg

Very nice (and this coming from a life-long Chargers fan). I like the incorporation of the photo match.

CampWest
07-22-2012, 10:48 AM
I have been working feverishly this morning on a new template. MPIX has a 15% off everything sale going on this week, so I might try to get a big order in here pretty soon.

This new template is a very similar design to the previous one, but is 5x7 to allow for a more substantial presentation and incorporation of photos for photo-matched or style-matched items or a simple player portrait. Same design, layout and fonts. And will likely again print it to a metallic paper. I've printed a couple tests and the 5x7 seems pretty big, at least next to a bat. Might go with a 4x6 for bats and save 5x7 for jerseys.

Open to critiques if you think something could be improved. I personally like the blue and grey as most of my collection is Royals stuff. I might swap out the colors if I make a placecard for a player from another team.

BTW, love what you did there RaiderNation... I've been considering incorporating a team logo as well.

CampWest
07-22-2012, 04:01 PM
and one more design with a single vertical picture... I decided to go with 4x6" for all of these. That size seemed a little better when displayed with bats and gloves. 5x7 seemed a little bit too big. 5x7 might work better with a larger item like a jersey. I've created files for most of my photomatched Billy stuff that can be attributed to Doubles, HRs, awards and other accomplishments. I'll post back again after I get some prints in with this round of placecards.

DJaeger22
07-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Before you print them, bat is misspelled toward the end of the Billy Butler one. Very cool though, I wonder if you could put a Royals logo faded behind everything.

CampWest
07-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Before you print them, bat is misspelled toward the end of the Billy Butler one. Very cool though, I wonder if you could put a Royals logo faded behind everything.

thanks... good catch! I caught that when I made the second and had to go back and redo it... grrr. I wish Photoshop had spell check.

What's that old saying? A picture is worth a thousand misspelled words. :D

esquiresports
07-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Very nice updates. Thanks again for sharing your template. I used it to create my own place cards and the company you recommended was incredibly fast. Cutting them was tricky for sure. A solid background for the entire sheet, like you noted, would have helped, but I am completely lost in Photoshop. I may have to "upgrade" to your larger layout for a few!

Scott

CampWest
02-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Got a few more place cards I'm going to be ordering... just thought I'd share and revive this old thread. Also, trying something new with the Hosmer bat and including the embedded photo matches instead of just the original photo. Never did get around to incorporating a logo, but at this point I'm going for consistency.

onlyalbert
02-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Wes, what is the cost of each size? Do you just email them the file you create?
All looks very nice!

CampWest
02-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Wes, what is the cost of each size? Do you just email them the file you create?
All looks very nice!

I've been doing these at 4x6" prints, which seems a good size. I use MPIX.com, which is the retail arm of professional print shop Miller Printing. These 4x6 cards, I print on metallic paper and single weight mat board which makes them nice and sturdy - thicker than a few baseball cards - and then I tack on the Lustre finish to add a nice shine. So all told I think its about $4 per card, looks like currently they run 59 cents for a 4x6 metallic paper print, 44 cents for the Lustre, and 230 cents for the single weight mat board mounting, so $3.33 per card plus shipping and tax. Just not expensive at all. I wouldn't do it for every one of my items, but for the photo-matched stuff I like to put that story with the item.

http://www.mpix.com/products/prints/papers