PDA

View Full Version : Robert Edwards Auction Shock

legaleagle92481
05-13-2012, 10:59 AM
My first experience consigning to a major auction resulted in a nightmare. My Brian Uralcher jersey sold for only $1,300 in the REA Auction. Everyone always says how REA brings in the best prices but I guess it goes to show that such isn't always true. I am hoping that the Nicks playoff jersey and Von Miller 1st jersey i consigned to Grey Flannel do better or i will have lost my faith in auction houses. I traded a jersey I paid 4 grand for straight up for the Uralcher. the last time REA had one it went for over 3k and it was a beauty someone got a great deal. I would have gotten more on Ebay.

Dewey2007
05-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hear that legal. I consigned an item to an auction house last year and didn't get anything close to what I thought they might bring considering the guy was a HOFer. I wasn't told prior to consigning that they wouldn't be included in the catalog or at the live auction which was upsetting to find out after the fact.

Anyhow, I always associate REA with baseball and not any of the other major sports. Seems like GFC might be best for football and basketball. Good luck with the Nicks and Miller jerseys!

My first experience consigning to a major auction resulted in a nightmare. My Brian Uralcher jersey sold for only $1,300 in the REA Auction. Everyone always says how REA brings in the best prices but I guess it goes to show that such isn't always true. I am hoping that the Nicks playoff jersey and Von Miller 1st jersey i consigned to Grey Flannel do better or i will have lost my faith in auction houses. I traded a jersey I paid 4 grand for straight up for the Uralcher. the last time REA had one it went for over 3k and it was a beauty someone got a great deal. I would have gotten more on Ebay.

David
05-13-2012, 12:21 PM
My bad luck consignment story is I once bought for $3,000 a rare 1873 Boston Bostons team cabinet photo including George and Harry Wright and Al Spalding, consigned it to one of the big auction houses where it sold for $1,500, only to see it a few years later sell for $17,000!

David
05-13-2012, 12:25 PM
The one good thing about the cabinet photo fiasco is I got to boast that I once owned a cabinet photo worth $17,000 :)

cubbs1232
05-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Stories like these are what keeps me for sending items to auction houses.

maverick14
05-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Why not just put reserves on the items? Is there an extra charge or reason for not doing so when consigning to auction houses??

gorilla777
05-13-2012, 06:46 PM

I have had that happen too and it really is a horrible feeling to see your items end up that way. For a nice Urlacher jersey with provenance, what is the normal price range, about $4k-$7k?

legaleagle92481
05-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Why not just put reserves on the items? Is there an extra charge or reason for not doing so when consigning to auction houses??

Other than AMI they won't let you put reserves on them usually. I know GFC and REA don't allow that.

legaleagle92481
05-13-2012, 07:26 PM
I have had that happen too and it really is a horrible feeling to see your items end up that way. For a nice Urlacher jersey with provenance, what is the normal price range, about $4k-$7k?

Mine was originally from NFL Auctions. i was expecting 3-4k. The last one REA had sold for in that range. $1,300 has to be a record low.

legaleagle92481
05-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Stories like these are what keeps me for sending items to auction houses.

Unless my GFC items do well, I am going to be doing the same. At least on Ebay you keep control and can end auction if your item is not doing well.

rose14
05-13-2012, 07:29 PM
I have found that for some reason a lot of the game used items (unless pre 1960) just don't bring as much at their auction as some of the other auction houses. I know the majority of their bidders are hard core vintage memorabilia and card collectors and this is the the event that they look foward to each and every year so this may be a reason. I can say this about Rob Lifson and his auction, there is no other auction house that does more for their consignors and bidders than they do. Every lot in this past auction (except international and oversized lots) will be shipped to the winning bidders FREE of charge. That is unheard of in this hobby. Their auction catalogs are some of the best in the business and they are mailed free to anyone that ask for one. I would say that with the shipping and the printing of those catalogs I would bet that it runs them at least $6-8 each for each catalog that they print and mail to prospective bidders. They also pay out much faster that any auction house I have ever consigned to and I have consigned with pretty much all of them. Well known and repeat customers sometimes even get their winnings before even submitting payment. A true class act auction house.

legaleagle92481
05-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear that legal. I consigned an item to an auction house last year and didn't get anything close to what I thought they might bring considering the guy was a HOFer. I wasn't told prior to consigning that they wouldn't be included in the catalog or at the live auction which was upsetting to find out after the fact.

Anyhow, I always associate REA with baseball and not any of the other major sports. Seems like GFC might be best for football and basketball. Good luck with the Nicks and Miller jerseys!

Thanks Dewey. I agree with you on REA and baseball. My Mariano did fairly well yesterday. I only consigned Uralcher because they had one a few years ago that did well and I was trying to see if I got better prices from REA or GFC as I am thinking of consigning some really high end items and was trying to decide between the two leaders prices realized wise.

legaleagle92481
05-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Could the problem have been because it is not football season? Ive gotten some of my best stuff in spring for football but I am curious as to what others think.

legaleagle92481
05-13-2012, 07:34 PM
I have found that for some reason a lot of the game used items (unless pre 1960) just don't bring as much at their auction as some of the other auction houses. I know the majority of their bidders are hard core vintage memorabilia and card collectors and this is the the event that they look foward to each and every year so this may be a reason. I can say this about Rob Lifson and his auction, there is no other auction house that does more for their consignors and bidders than they do. Every lot in this past auction (except international and oversized lots) will be shipped to the winning bidders FREE of charge. That is unheard of in this hobby. Their auction catalogs are some of the best in the business and they are mailed free to anyone that ask for one. I would say that with the shipping and the printing of those catalogs I would bet that it runs them at least $6-8 each for each catalog that they print and mail to prospective bidders. They also pay out much faster that any auction house I have ever consigned to and I have consigned with pretty much all of them. Well known and repeat customers sometimes even get their winnings before even submitting payment. A true class act auction house.

I noticed there wasn't much GU stuff in the catalog. I am not faulting Rob or the company it happens I was just shocked that it went for so little.

gingi79
05-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Could the problem have been because it is not football season? Ive gotten some of my best stuff in spring for football but I am curious as to what others think.

That could be a part of it however considering the providence, I can't think of a single GU collector who would pass on a first ballot HOF for $1300. Even as a flip, even a novice collector knows that's easy money to recoup.

People love to throw around " An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" Here, Legal gets the short end of the unfortunate "Who the hell wouldn't pay that for that item" I can only hope Karma allows you to somehow uncover some epic life changing piece for pennies on the dollar. Like Walter Payton for a grand or Barry Sanders photomatched for $1200

No one else said it, I will: Yes Legal, you got hosed and that sucks. The GU gods owe you sir.

nickacs
05-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Sorry too legal :(

Funny, someone mentioned maybe it's because it's not football season, and they might be right. I had a 2009 WS Phil Hughes jersey that I got from Steiner right after NY won just because I never had any WS jersey. I just got into the "hype" and WS timeframe. Afterwards I was sorry I even bought it as he's no star player and thought I'll never make my money back. Then I consigned it a year later in the fall 2010 GFC auction right around WS time and it actually went for a lot more than I bought it for!
I know for NBA items, you definitely want to consign to GFC's annual BHOF auction every August. I couldn't believe the prices in the last 2 year's of their auctions! Everyone comes out of the woodwork for that auction for NBA stuff.

Possibly another reason might be due to the auction house itself. REA is a great auction house, don't get me wrong, but I personally don't feel they are very "main stream" like GFC, Lelands, Heritage and even AMI (although don't care for them personally!). Possibly, but who knows....

I consigned in the last 2 yrs to GFC and Lelands and both were great for me in terms of my auction piece pricing and payment.

Best of luck in your future consigning!

gingi79
05-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Had the seller been the buyer and posted they won this jersey for that price, I'm betting a large majority of people would have this first throught:

"Yeah, that's fake..."

BostonSportsFan
05-13-2012, 08:46 PM
[quote=nickacs;292731]Sorry too legal :(

Funny, someone mentioned maybe it's because it's not football season, and they might be right. I had a 2009 WS Phil Hughes jersey that I got from Steiner right after NY won just because I never had any WS jersey. I just got into the "hype" and WS timeframe. Afterwards I was sorry I even bought it as he's no star player and thought I'll never make my money back. Then I consigned it a year later in the fall 2010 GFC auction right around WS time and it actually went for a lot more than I bought it for!
I know for NBA items, you definitely want to consign to GFC's annual BHOF auction every August. I couldn't believe the prices in the last 2 year's of their auctions! Everyone comes out of the woodwork for that auction for NBA stuff.

Possibly another reason might be due to the auction house itself. REA is a great auction house, don't get me wrong, but I personally don't feel they are very "main stream" like GFC, Lelands, Heritage and even AMI (although don't care for them personally!). Possibly, but who knows....

I consigned in the last 2 yrs to GFC and Lelands and both were great for me in terms of my auction piece pricing and payment.

Best of luck in your future consigning![/quote

I think another poster mentioned this but in terms of mainstream I could not disagree more. REA is up there as one of the top three houses in the buisness bar none. Rob's reputation is of the highest calibre however with that being said, the other poster mentioned that they are the kings of the vintage stuff, baseball cards, old vintage misc. items they are as good as it gets and as mentioned those niche collectors come out in droves for this once per year auction.

I too have had several experiences where some game used items of more recent time periods have done worse than I expected. However vintage pieces I have in the past consigned with Rob that were more one of a kind items have done phenomenal.

Perhaps it really is that niche market just not sure.

Joe

tom1315
05-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Legaleagle, I 'feel your pain'...I am a helmet guy primarily and purchase GU bats from time to time...I was looking at several bats until they passed my comfort zone...saw your jersey and it had no bids for so long and I began think something must be wrong with it...I truly hate it for you...hang in there!

Tom

Go Pack! 1981 NC State graduate

schubert1970
05-13-2012, 09:45 PM

Your item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Maybe you can't face the fact you over paid for piece of garbage. Maybe you paid too much to begin with. Who cares about Urlacker???

I'm surprised REA would even handle an item that is so common. Maybe a Lou Lampson letter would have help.

Stop the crying already
Bill

trsent
05-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Looking at REA history, you just got unlucky it looks like to me.

See previous Urlacher jerseys they sold:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/1377.html

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2008/1527.html

While your auction was for a road white jersey, it still went for a bargain:

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=22959

Funny thing is the first two jerseys, from a few years back, were autographed by Brian with great inscriptions, which I'm sure hurt the price of the jersey just sold. NFL Auctions jerseys are great, but for Brian Urlacher I'd rather have a jersey that originated right from him that comes hammered with use. The white jersey that recently sold doesn't show much use in the images with the listing and maybe people found it hard to believe the jersey was worn and could be issued for that game?

The Giants did switch to turf in 2003 so there would be no grass stains, but there are so much nicer game used Urlacher jerseys out there with tons of use and Brian's signature authenticating them that reasonably bidders may have been turned away even at such a low price.

otismalibu
05-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Two things...

1) Often, photos don't do justice to white jerseys. Some closeups of the use/wear would have been nice. On more than once occasion, I've asked eBay sellers for a photo of the item in natural light/no flash just to get an idea what it really looks like.

2) Didn't the Bears thread recently feature 3 posters that were leaving the hobby and would be selling off most or much of their collection? Did they move any Urlacher jerseys? Maybe just bad timing.

legaleagle92481
05-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Your item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Maybe you can't face the fact you over paid for piece of garbage. Maybe you paid too much to begin with. Who cares about Urlacker???

I'm surprised REA would even handle an item that is so common. Maybe a Lou Lampson letter would have help.

Stop the crying already
Bill

Lol. I posted this thread not to cry but to help educate other collectors. People post threads about wanting to know which auction house to consign to all the time. If I were looking to consign stuff this is information I would want to know.

nickacs
05-14-2012, 09:41 AM
I think another poster mentioned this but in terms of mainstream I could not disagree more. REA is up there as one of the top three houses in the buisness bar none. Rob's reputation is of the highest calibre however with that being said, the other poster mentioned that they are the kings of the vintage stuff, baseball cards, old vintage misc. items they are as good as it gets and as mentioned those niche collectors come out in droves for this once per year auction.

I too have had several experiences where some game used items of more recent time periods have done worse than I expected. However vintage pieces I have in the past consigned with Rob that were more one of a kind items have done phenomenal.

Perhaps it really is that niche market just not sure.

Joe

I guess we'll just agree to disagree then :) I never said there's anything wrong with REA/Rob, but I don't think when it comes to the "average Joe" out there that REA pops into their minds when thinking game used auction house. Heck, I've been collecting game worn jerseys since the early 90's and never heard of REA until I join this board 5 years ago! But I knew GFC and Heritage already just because of much more publicity over the years/etc.

I do think REA is a great auction house and would recommend consigning to them, but as you stated, vintage is more their thing than game worn stuff for the most part. Personally, for game worn jerseys, I would look at the others first to consign with.

legaleagle92481
05-14-2012, 09:54 AM
I guess we'll just agree to disagree then :) I never said there's anything wrong with REA/Rob, but I don't think when it comes to the "average Joe" out there that REA pops into their minds when thinking game used auction house. Heck, I've been collecting game worn jerseys since the early 90's and never heard of REA until I join this board 5 years ago! But I knew GFC and Heritage already just because of much more publicity over the years/etc.

I do think REA is a great auction house and would recommend consigning to them, but as you stated, vintage is more their thing than game worn stuff for the most part. Personally, for game worn jerseys, I would look at the others first to consign with.

I agree. I searched the entire auction they had three non-baseball game used items including the Uralcher. Yes, they have a huge collector database but if they are looking for baseball cards and autographs such people are more likely to look right past other stuff.

Mulligans
05-14-2012, 10:49 AM
I would have expected a higher price although it never helps when the buyer ends up paying 25-30 points to the Auction house in the form of Fees and/or State taxes. That shouldn't effect your value, but it certainly does.:(

Its too bad that you had to take a loss, although any glimmer of FOOTBALL Talk on this Forum is good for me!!! Football conversation on here has taken a sad downturn in the last few years??

schubert1970
05-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Lol. I posted this thread not to cry but to help educate other collectors. People post threads about wanting to know which auction house to consign to all the time. If I were looking to consign stuff this is information I would want to know.

Educate...LMAO. So you educated us that when you consign crap with a top notch auciton house, you received crap in return. Nice education, or using your common sense would have been a lot cheaper.

jhunt28
05-16-2012, 07:16 AM

Stop the crying already
Bill

is there some sort of history between you two?? jeezus man...take it easy on the guy. as far as "who cares about urlacher", im sure most would say the same about something that you value...

legaleagle92481
05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
is there some sort of history between you two?? jeezus man...take it easy on the guy. as far as "who cares about urlacher", im sure most would say the same about something that you value...

ive never dealt with him before or even talked to him. i guess he is one of those guys on here who just likes to pick fights.

commando
05-16-2012, 11:23 AM
ive never dealt with him before or even talked to him. i guess he is one of those guys on here who just likes to pick fights.

Yes, apparently schubert1970 believes his long-winded explanation about how he acquired a Josh Hamilton home run baseball is more important than your Urlacher thread. But I guess we have to understand that Hamilton is now part of an elite group of players that includes Mark Whiten, Mike Cameron, Carlos Delgado and Bob Horner.

:D

gwh11
05-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Schubert1970,
Rule #3 of this forum is as follows:
No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal.
I would think you are precariously close to violating this rule, or have violated it already, based upon your responses in this thread.
-Guy

BostonSportsFan
05-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Yes, apparently schubert1970 believes his long-winded explanation about how he acquired a Josh Hamilton home run baseball is more important than your Urlacher thread. But I guess we have to understand that Hamilton is now part of an elite group of players that includes Mark Whiten, Mike Cameron, Carlos Delgado and Bob Horner.

:D

I could be wrong but have Mark Whiten, Mike Cameron, Carlos Delgado and Bob Horner ever been in direct competition to achieve a triple crown?

Again, I may be wrong here but I am not certain that any of those players ever reached a level at which Hamilton is currently playing. Obviously he needs to keep this up for 8 - 10 more seasons to have a legit chance at the HOF and time is stacked against him but I think it is safe to say if he can stay clean he will far surpass each of those players mentioned.

Joe

BostonSportsFan
05-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Schubert1970,
Rule #3 of this forum is as follows:
No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal.
I would think you are precariously close to violating this rule, or have violated it already, based upon your responses in this thread.
-Guy

Guy thanks for pointing this out congratulations on being named a forum moderator.

Joe

commando
05-16-2012, 08:23 PM
I could be wrong but have Mark Whiten, Mike Cameron, Carlos Delgado and Bob Horner ever been in direct competition to achieve a triple crown?

Again, I may be wrong here but I am not certain that any of those players ever reached a level at which Hamilton is currently playing. Obviously he needs to keep this up for 8 - 10 more seasons to have a legit chance at the HOF and time is stacked against him but I think it is safe to say if he can stay clean he will far surpass each of those players mentioned.

Joe

Brian Urlacher has never been in direct competition to achieve a triple crown either. I guess that means you win.

gwh11
05-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Guy thanks for pointing this out congratulations on being named a forum moderator.

Joe

Joe,
I'm not a mod, didn't mean to come off as one; just felt compelled to point out that rule.
Thanks,
Guy

legaleagle92481
05-16-2012, 09:23 PM

Joe

How can you be in direct competition for a Triple Crown on May 16th? The Rangers have played 38 of their 162 games. Saying that about anyone before August 1st is way too premature. As for Delgado he was in the race for a Triple Crown in 2000 (finished in top 5 of each category) but fell short. He also hit 470 plus homers and knocked in 1500 plus runs, doubtful Hamilton approaches those numbers. Hamilton is 31 no slugger not suspected of PEDs has produced at level near Hamilton is now in his late 30s so it would be unprecedented if he kept it up until he was 39-41. As for Urlacher, he is a bonafide future hall of famer in his sport love him or hate him, very likely on the first ballot if he never plays another down.

SSB15
05-16-2012, 09:24 PM
I think Robert Edward Auctions is one of the better auction houses. I am not affiliated with them in any way and rarely buy anything at auction, because their items normally go for a lot of money. I do not think you can fault the auction house. It seems like to me it was a situation where people just did not want your item for very much money. I feel bad for you on a personal note. Unfortunately, you took a chance with listing the item and it just did not sell for the amount you wanted. I have been in your same situation in the past.

legaleagle92481
05-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I think Robert Edward Auctions is one of the better auction houses. I am not affiliated with them in any way and rarely buy anything at auction, because their items normally go for a lot of money. I do not think you can fault the auction house. It seems like to me it was a situation where people just did not want your item for very much money. I feel bad for you on a personal note. Unfortunately, you took a chance with listing the item and it just did not sell for the amount you wanted. I have been in your same situation in the past.

Their baseball stuff particularly cards go for alot of money. However, they don't seem to do much game used business in other sports. Many guys who are football only collectors because of this may overlook their auctions causing football stuff to sell for less than it should. I was offered $2,000 for that jersey by a major dealer there was nothing wrong with the jersey, just a lack of audience interested in that type of item. I should have done my homework on that fact better. My main hope with this thread was to spare the next guy who wants to sell a nonbaseball game used item from learning the hard way like I did.

David
05-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Robert Edwards is one of the best auction houses and generally gets top dollar, but is most definitely baseball-centric. They do have other stuff, but baseball is their bread and butter.

David
05-17-2012, 12:04 AM
If 19th and early 20th century baseball cards and memorabilia is what you collect, REA always has a mind boggling offering.

aeneas01
05-17-2012, 08:40 AM
hmm... a jim brown jersey sold for a whopping $70k+ at robert edwards. sometime later is sold for about half that amount at mastro, an auction house that was well known for game used football items.

mickeymbz
05-18-2012, 01:36 AM

Stop the crying already
Bill

dang .. you're a real piece of work

Mattapan03
05-18-2012, 09:06 AM
How can you be in direct competition for a Triple Crown on May 16th? The Rangers have played 38 of their 162 games. Saying that about anyone before August 1st is way too premature. As for Delgado he was in the race for a Triple Crown in 2000 (finished in top 5 of each category) but fell short. He also hit 470 plus homers and knocked in 1500 plus runs, doubtful Hamilton approaches those numbers. Hamilton is 31 no slugger not suspected of PEDs has produced at level near Hamilton is now in his late 30s so it would be unprecedented if he kept it up until he was 39-41. As for Urlacher, he is a bonafide future hall of famer in his sport love him or hate him, very likely on the first ballot if he never plays another down.

4HR in one game.

sox83cubs84
05-18-2012, 02:29 PM
4HR in one game.

Funny...I was at the game 10 years ago when Mike Cameron hit 4 HRs (and came within a few feet of slamming a all-time high 5th), and he wasn't even close to the Triple Crown.

I think Hamilton could do it, but, as has been suggested, let's wait until July or August before really bearing down on this as a possibility. Even a 15-day DL injury could eat up enough games to deprive him in the HR or RBI categories.

Dave Miedema

legaleagle92481
05-18-2012, 04:46 PM
hmm... a jim brown jersey sold for a whopping $70k+ at robert edwards. sometime later is sold for about half that amount at mastro, an auction house that was well known for game used football items.

Is Mastro in business anymore? Nope I seem to recall them having some legal issues that just may have affected prices realized so not the best example. Plus a Jim Brown is a very rare item that one would expect to sell for a super high amount in any auction.

ironmanfan
05-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Is Mastro in business anymore? Nope I seem to recall them having some legal issues that just may have affected prices realized so not the best example. Plus a Jim Brown is a very rare item that one would expect to sell for a super high amount in any auction.

Basically, Mastro Auctions is now known as Legendary Auctions (via an assets purchase) and you are correct that there were some legal issues with them.

skyliner59
05-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Have any of you fellas ever considered that most of these "auction houses" are simply reformed baseball card dealers from the early 80's who started these live auctions as the internet came into play. And quite possibly, most items sold at their "auctions" are derived from their own inventory.
I know they all still run around the show circuit buying collections and other items from folks and sell in their own auction. Now whose items do you think they are going to "protect/goose" and whose are they looking to buy to maybe sell at a later date. Give it some thought, most if not all are simply dealers from the old show circuit. Maybe this is the cause of such price fluctuations.

kellsox
05-20-2012, 09:45 AM
While it's hard to explain the seemingly drastically low prince on the urlacher, could it be the supply of the modern (last 3 or so years) jersey has caught up with the demand? With teams being more aggressive in selling game used materials and companies like Jo in football pumping out jerseys game after game- there is going to be a point where those who want jerseys of a particular player have all they want- and there is plenty others on the market.

Example-
On the baseball side- there are 3 2012 starlin Castro cubs jerseys currently on eBay. The season isn't even 2 months old. These probably aren't the only jerseys worn by him this year as I'm sure there have been others on the market/put into personal collections. What's the over/under on Castro jerseys worn and sold this year? Stretch it out- how many the next 10 years. Everyone who wants one will have one with plenty of others avail- leading to lower prices.....basic economics

legaleagle92481
05-20-2012, 10:47 AM
While it's hard to explain the seemingly drastically low prince on the urlacher, could it be the supply of the modern (last 3 or so years) jersey has caught up with the demand? With teams being more aggressive in selling game used materials and companies like Jo in football pumping out jerseys game after game- there is going to be a point where those who want jerseys of a particular player have all they want- and there is plenty others on the market.

Example-
On the baseball side- there are 3 2012 starlin Castro cubs jerseys currently on eBay. The season isn't even 2 months old. These probably aren't the only jerseys worn by him this year as I'm sure there have been others on the market/put into personal collections. What's the over/under on Castro jerseys worn and sold this year? Stretch it out- how many the next 10 years. Everyone who wants one will have one with plenty of others avail- leading to lower prices.....basic economics

Your point is a valid one. Rob Lifson made the same point to me in a very nice letter he sent me with my check. I think that in alot of ways the game used hobby is becoming like baseball cards and autographs in that supply is starting to exceed demand. Football JO has flooded the market with jerseys of Bears, Vikings, Redskins and Chargers stuff. Baseball Steiner has flooded the Yankee jersey market and many of the teams such as the Braves and Tigers have also flooded the market with their stuff. Steiner is starting to flood the hockey market with Rangers stuff and Meigray has flooded the market with several teams' stuff (look how many Brodeur jerseys they have on their site its mind boogling). Even in basketball I have noticed the market starting to flood after years of nothing being available, NBAGameworn has five Durant jerseys, eight Dwight Howard jerseys, four Duncans and six Paul Pierces available.

commando
05-20-2012, 11:53 AM
The past couple of points are excellent. I always try to remember the most basic of all auction principles -- it takes TWO bidders to raise the price.

If the economy is good, a casual Bears fan might get a $3500 bonus check from work and decide to "invest" it in an Urlacher jersey. Well, he'll be bidding against the hard-core Urlacher collector(s) to try and win legal's consigned jersey. Others with bonus checks or money to burn may chime in. Lowballers will also enter the mix and drive the price to a modest level at the beginning of the auction.

In legal's case, the bidding never made it past the modest lowballer level! Were there no work bonus check bidders around? Were the casual and hard-core fans tapped out financially? Did the person who won the auction have a much higher ceiling bid, but there was no one else around to raise it?

gorilla777
11-15-2012, 11:28 PM

Your Urlacher jersey has reappeared, if you take a look at the upcoming Grey Flannel auction preview that is now up....

gorilla777
11-15-2012, 11:43 PM
http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=29578&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=1&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=39&seo=11%2f7%2f2004-Brian-Urlacher-Chicago-Bears-Game-Used-Road-Jersey-(NFL-PSA%2fDNA-Sticker)

cohibasmoker
11-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Have any of you fellas ever considered that most of these "auction houses" are simply reformed baseball card dealers from the early 80's who started these live auctions as the internet came into play. And quite possibly, most items sold at their "auctions" are derived from their own inventory.
I know they all still run around the show circuit buying collections and other items from folks and sell in their own auction. Now whose items do you think they are going to "protect/goose" and whose are they looking to buy to maybe sell at a later date. Give it some thought, most if not all are simply dealers from the old show circuit. Maybe this is the cause of such price fluctuations.

Terrific points and something to consider. I don't understand why people don't use eBay more often - I guess what a person does with their stuff is their decision.

Jim